New York City Restaurants

Big fan of 63 Clinton. The supplements add up for sure, but I appreciate Ray and Sam trying to keep the base cost of the tasting menu accessible. If you didn’t do the caviar handroll, it’s definitely worthy of a splurge.

2 Likes

That was my addition. Definitely worth the ~$50. And they mentioned it’s pretty close to their cost. I don’t have an issue with supplements, provided they’re worthwhile/creative and not just a dusting of truffles over everything… I think you could get away with eating the base menu here without an issue, especially as they give you a half a loaf of bread with the agnolotti, but the supplements are worth a look.

A few other details: stemware was Glasvin. And, like seemingly every other fine dining restaurant I’ve been to recently, they grill over binchotan.

2 Likes

They go through a lot of caviar and want to make it as accessible as possible.

With the exception of the hand roll, the other supplements don’t increase the amount of courses eaten, just adds some extra extravagance to certain dishes.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. That’s true. My wife had the wagyu substitute… certainly extravagant!

Hey New Yorkers…I’ll be getting into town late-ish Tuesday and am wondering what you might recommend for a solo visit to a restaurant in the 9pm range downtown/Wall Street or maybe as far a walk as TriBeCa. It’s been so long since I’ve been there I don’t even know where to look any more! Nothing fancy needed, but a decent BTG menu would be nice. Or I could always pop over to Terroir and snack.

crown shy at the bar makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Chambers at the bar is also a great choice

4 Likes

Had a kind of underwhelming experience at The Noortwyck. The food was good, and I appreciated that they had some back vintages on their list. My gripes were: 1) the tables in the front section are tiny (could barely fit our plates and glasses) and 2) the meal pacing was off. As one indicator, drinking at a normal pace, we were only able to make it through around half our bottle by the time our meal was done. I think they got us out in just over an hour. A good meal, just lacking in charm this time around.

Meanwhile, I see there’s a new addition to the Ato-world: https://seoulsalon.nyc/

This is probably my biggest pet peeve around dining out, especially on a weekend.

was there this past saturday (first time on a weekend). generally felt fine but prefer the weeknights as it felt a bit more relaxed. my only gripe with this meal was we tried a bunch of starters which generally disappointed. i think its best to stick with pastas and mains here…and that banana dessert.

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I decided I wanted something closer and so I ended up at Gran Via, a tapas place on Stone Street. Small but good wine list. Tasty food. If you’re that far south on Manhattan it’s a good place for a glass or for dinner.

Why does NYC restaurant hate mondays? :smiley:

What’s good semi close to Wall Street, and open on a monday, and has cheap rousseau, and is not Vegan :wink:

There’s a vegan restaurant with cheap Rousseau?

:smiley: :smiley:
well EMP has a pretty solid list… i don’t know if Rouss specifically

1 Like

Pretty confident that if they have Rousseau, it ain’t cheap

1 Like

Hmm well their list is published. :slight_smile:

Regardless, any suggestions?

Rousseau rules me out

Helpful exchange. thanks

:smirk: :man_facepalming: :rofl:

On Monday your best bet is The Grill not that far from Wall Street.

And Restaurant employees are the ones that hate Mondays or 7 days a week, not restaurants.

Another option closer to you is Chambers.

Don’t know if they have Rousseau, the cheap kind, but I guarantee that they’re not vegan and about 20 minutes or less walk from WS:

Batard - if still (Pre-Covid) corkage-free byo on Mondays, you can buy cheap Rousseau somewhere and bring with you
(edited to add: website says closed on Mondays)

The Fulton - South Street seaport with beautiful view of the lower East River; many other Jean Georges restaurants in the complex to choose from in case you want to eat more.