New York City Restaurants

1000%!

Lovely dinner at Fradei, I will definitely keep this in my neighborhood rotation. The sunchoke scarpinocc with chanterelles and chestnut sauce was to die for, as was the yellowfin tuna with horseradish cream and escabeche. I brought a 2007 Prager Riesling Smaragd Achleiten which also was bangin’.

1 Like

Walked into Claud this Saturday. Another good meal there. Seems they’ve changed up the menu a bit – the country ham and grilled cabbage were new to us, and we enjoyed both. The duck special is very good
 They mentioned they’re moving to 7 days a week soon. I’m looking forward to that. I think any move toward making it easier to get a seat would allow for more reasonable expectations and bring the restaurant closer in execution to what it is in concept (an upscale wine bar with a well-executed menu).

1 Like

I also noticed they changed the reservation release time to 9am instead of midnight.

2 Likes

9 am has been it for awhile. Not really helpful.

Pi day and Pie week for me. Marta’s this past weekend. Da Michele last night. Razza this coming weekend. I think the food overall is way better at Da Michele than Marta but I prefer Marta’s pizza.

So excited to read this! Love what the prior chefs were doing.

1 Like

Razza has quickly moved into my top 5 pizza spots!

was at da michele for the first time this weekend. thought the pies we tried were pretty much perfect as long as you don’t mind that very soft center. only had a caesar besides the pizza and it was excellent.
i’ll be heading back soon.
lot’s of bar space to eat btw

2 Likes

I agree on the Caesar salad. Citrus salad was also very good. Arancini, meatballs, stuffed zucchini flowers were all good as were 3 different pastas. And the pizza of course. I think the only thing we had that I wouldn’t order again was the octopus. I thought the garbanzo purĂ©e overshadowed the octopus. Wines of the night were 96 Comtes, 85 Pergole Torte, and 90 Ornellaia.

The soft center makes it far from perfect for me.
But I’m an outlier as I prefer a fine Ny slice to the beast in Naples (;for that reason)

Went to Essential ( by Christophe ) with my buddy Wilfred and loved it . Small portions of very tasty food , very creative . Great service , very nice people . This comes highly recommended

3 Likes

Went to Avra today with my client. Despite it being packed, service was efficient and the food was a solid B+ for its type. I have a lot of meals on the road, and have to keep it healthy where I can. Someplace I can get perfectly cooked salmon, grilled vegetables and a side of nicely sautéed spinach is very useful for me. My client works 3 minutes away, and also enjoyed her branzino. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Glad to hear Avra went well.

Had a great business lunch yesterday at The Modern. They have expanded the menu choices since the last time I went. Clients loved it.

1 Like

Had lunch at Avra last week. Pleasantly surprised by the food and service

Big fan of The Modern
 fried chicken at the bar is a hidden gem.

The table next to ours ordered the fried chicken. It looked great.

1 Like

anybody going to the modern on a regular basis should buy inkind credit. it might be the best place to spend it in nyc. so here’s $25 for you.

1 Like

Dinner at The Noortwyck last night with a high school buddy was delicious. They were very welcoming despite a full house, and there were almost no service hiccups (I did have to ask for a wine refill once but it was at the height of service). The somm’s choice for our wine, the St Joseph from Monier Perreol, was on-point for both our budget and tastes (though it was a bit odd and a somewhat disconcerting that she said they knew what our tastes were thanks to their reservation system’s research ability).

We were comped a glass of Champagne (whose name I didn’t catch but which was lovely) with our shared app of Fluke Crudo with Pear and Endive. Our mains were the BBQ Duck Breast with blood orange and endive, and the Short Rib (which was fantastic). Lastly, my friend ordered the mille-feuille, which was good but not a classic version for sure.

Overall a lovely meal, and I’d strongly recommend going there if you’re in the area.

2 Likes

Ha, just saw it. You are absolutely right. What I really meant was Le Rock.

have either of you been there before?