New-to-me Burg producers

In the years I’ve been obsessed with Burgundy, I have (as I’m sure many of you have) gotten priced out (or am rapidly being priced out) of some of my favorite producers - for example, Dujac, Rousseau, even Drouhin for some of the bottlings I’ve frequently bought previously. Bertheau’s prices are now on the rise…etc.

As a result, I’ve been hunting around for other producers that might replace my lost favorites in the future - in part as thanks for those who have generously shared their knowledge of burgundy and the producers and also to pay the favor forward to others, I thought I’d name a few in case you find yourself in the same situation and aren’t very familiar with them.

1. Marchand Tawse - visited last year and was very pleasantly surprised by the unexpected minerality and reasonable transparancy of the wines. Knowing that he had come from Vougeraie made me think I’d get overripe and oaky. They offer a great range of vineyards and decent prices.

2. Thibault Liger Belair - a similar story to Marchand.

3. Jean Marc Millot - a lighter more etherial styled wine that I enjoy, some good vosne vineyards - a bit along the line of Jouen, I’m told.

Others in the pipeline to try out - Buisson Charles for whites and Henri Felettig for red (Chambolle).

Hope that’s helpful (I’m sure many of you are already familiar, of course), and would be great to hear others or contrary opinions.

Add:

Dublere
Chandon des Briailles

I’m a fan of both - excellent additions. Thanks!

Boisson Vadot (or just Boisson for some of the wines).
A

Chenu and Pavelot in Savigny are other good buys
also Raphet in Pernand

I’m very interested to try the Marchand Tawse wines. Strange beginnings, but hey, if it works, it works. Keep in mind too, they have Bertrand Maume working for them too.

TLB is great stuff. They aren’t really cheap, and I do expect them to climb soon.

I would add Lamy Pillot (both red and white), Jean Marc Pillot (mostly whites), JJ Girard, Morey Coffinet (whites only), Pierre Gelin, and Seguin Manuel as my favorites dollar for dollar.

David, hysterical. Please see my similarly themed thread. Great palates drink alike.

I’ve been buying more wine from Volnay due to pricing. I’ve been picking up some d’Angerville, which seems like a relative bargain (only in Burgundy).

Cheers!

+1

Has anyone tasted (or heard of) Olivier jouan?

I had some a very good SlB from Chenu a number of years back (I think they were 2002s), but have not seen his wines since.

Ive had the wines three times from three different vintages and they always seemed way over oaked to me

My neighborhood store seems to be the only place in the US selling Marchand Tawse. Any particular recommendations from what they have (particularly among the lower-priced half of the lineup)?

Hi-Time Wine Cellars CA: Costa Mesa. Price excludes sales tax.
Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 BOURGOGNE ROUGE, BURGUNDY $21.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 BOURGOGNE “AVALON”, BURGUNDY $23.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MIASON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 MEURSAULT, WHITE BURGUNDY $46.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MARCHAND TAWSE 2010 POMMARD LES CHARMOTS 1ER CRU, BURGUNDY $50.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 VOLNAY 1ER CRU, BURGUNDY $50.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 CHAMBOLLE MUSIGNY, BURGUNDY $53.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 VOSNE ROMANEE, BURGUNDY $56.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 MOREY ST DENIS, BURGUNDY $57.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 CHASSAGNE MONTRACHET, WHITE BURGUNDY $61.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010, BURGUNDY $77.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 CORTON GRAND CRU, BURGUNDY $78.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 VOSNE ROMANEE SUCHOTS, BURGUNDY $115.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 ECHEZEAUX GRAND CRU, BURGUNDY $128.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 VOUGEOT GRAND CRU, BURGUNDY $134.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 CHARMES CHAMBERTIN, BURGUNDY $145.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Exclude from searches Add to favorites 2010 MAISON MARCHAND-TAWSE 2010 MAZY CHAMBERTIN, BURGUNDY $168.99
Bottle

11-Aug-2013

Howard, the filles are now firmly in charge. The 05 Lavieres is quite nice.
Bill N. has a great write-up on them in his book.

I also represent pascal and co, better pricing.
:0

François Buffet, a small independent producer with holdings in Volnay and I believe Pommard. 1er crus around $50 that compare well with villages wines from more well-known producers with villages wines that are slightly more expensive. Small sample size for me so far, but style seems traditional but accessible. Credit goes to Justin Christoph of Acker for turning me onto this producer. I have no affiliation with Acker but Justin is a friend and they may be one of the few sources for these wines in the US. Justin, save a few bottles of the 2010s for me if there is a run on them after this post, I didn’t get a chance to buy mine yet!

Hmmm…Scott. Got priced out and moved to Volnay. Lucky you !!

We got priced out here in Montreal and we created the 2 Ms club.

2 Ms means : Marsannay and Mercurey.

Camus-Bruchon
My favorite Savigny Producer… flirtysmile

TTT

Haven’t tried any of them but I’m told Jean-Marc Bouley is worth chasing.

Despite the Domaine name, the wines are made by the Chenu daughters. I last tried 05 reds, and I loved them. They would certainly speak to those for whom “transparency” is a dog whistle. If they are currently available stateside, I would ve to know the importer.

One of my new favorites. I feel like they get penalized for being the “other” Liger-Belair that doesn’t own La Romanee. The 09 Clos Vougeot is a stunner. Great value at the village and regional level.