MUSINGS FROM AMSTERDAM 2017 VERSION

NO

blake
great and thorough response
i will look up all of them and base my trip on your suggestions
that museum sounds great too. been to the others years ago anyway.
many thanks [cheers.gif]

Here’s a link for some of the incredible bridge houses being used as a hotel suites:

FWIW - I completely agree with the Klepel and Gebr Hartering recs. Food is a bit more limited at Klepel, but both have fantastic wine lists that are reasonably priced. Still think about hitting that 2007 Rostaing La Landonne for ~110 euros at Klepel.

Hope they still have it when I return in late October. Maybe we can share a bottle plus some other goodies Andrew. I`ll be there for at least 3 weeks.

Bought a house back in the US yesterday :slight_smile:. We’ll have to meet for an NCAA game instead!

Wowza. Sorry we never connected in Amsterdam. Where are you relocating?

Was just in Amsterdam for the long weekend.

Favorite restaurant by far was Kaagman & Kortekaas. Great food and all locals. Offers wine corkage in a city without! Also has an interesting wine list and some nice aged Bordeaux in their “vip” drawer. We had a 1996 brenaire ducru and thought the acidity was great match to the food at hand.

New one for me. Appreciate the mention as I`ll be sure to check it out in October. Thanks

hi blake
tried for klepel and was denied!
krua the night before looks good though. going to look a little more upscale for what would have been the klepel night (buddy’s 60th)

Mark, La Rive is in the upscale category and one that I highly recommend. Great food, dedicated service and a wonderful ambience in a classy dining room atmosphere. You can still dress casual; I wore jeans and a jacket. Here’s a link:

https://www.restaurantlarive.nl/nl/

Mark, we go to Amsterdam often, we were there 3 weeks ago. Daalder is our choice for best restaurant in Amsterdam. It’s a tasting menu, superb food and service but is not at all stuffy. Very comfortable atmosphere. Daalder is not inexpensive but is actually an excellent value considering the quality of food.
We had been there a few years ago and it’s even better. We had the five course tasting with wine pairings. Should be perfect for what you are looking for.

We also went to Krua Thai during our stay and liked it a lot. If you like Thai food, you won’t be disappointed.

Enjoy Amsterdam one of our favorite cities in Europe.

Tom

Leave some of your trip open for random discoveries… I think AMS is one of the great cities when it comes to finding little hole-in-the-wall places that are a blast to find on your own. Wilde Zwijnen was one of these for me - BGE sitting in the middle of the kitchen, picnic benches in the restaurant and a lot of beer :slight_smile: Loetje, a steakhouse chain that serves Uruguayan beef with butter and sambal sauce (ask for extra garlic) was another.

And don’t ask me how I found a Mexican place which had this shrine next to the bathroom.
24525963-D224-429A-8529-AD22405565E3.jpeg

blake and tom have both mentioned daalder so i’m making my reservation today.

andrew, i don’t think i’ll be able to resist the place with the bge!

daalder booked
wine pairings the way to go there?

Mark, sorry for the late reply, just noticed this. We have only had the wine pairings. Very nice wines, not blockbusters but chosen to compliment the food which works well. I have no idea what Daalder’s wine policy is in regards to BYO or if they even allow it.

Enjoy and report back!

Tom

On my trip to Amsterdam I had made a reservation at daadler and ahead of time they gave an exception to bring my own wine. We didn’t make it in the end, but it may be worth inquiring ahead of time.

I went to Daalder a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed it so thanks for the reccos. The food was top notch and priced very well for what they serve. It’s both tasty and creative. I personally would prefer a little bit better of a room, with a little more refinement and space, but it was totally fine. They were gracious about us being late, and overall the service was as I like: attentive but friendly and not stuffy. I would suggest being sure to ask for a table as opposed to sitting at the bar.

I would also suggest just doing the seven course menu with the wine pairing. We did the seven course and ordered a bubbly and a red which cost more for still non-premiere wines. 7 courses alone was 89E. 7 with wine is 150E and one gets a caviar supplement. Also note that both of courses added to the 5 to get to 7 were good courses. One was a gnocchi with some foie, and the other a langoustine. Shown in the two pics below.
8462E73D-6BE3-45B8-9B4B-A19FEDF50F1C.jpeg
If you want to go to Anne Frank House, be sure to book far ahead. They have some slots released day of but it was really hard to deal with on-line and we ended up not being able to get in. Van Gogh Museum is also best booked at least a week ahead to assure a time slot. Both my wife and I thought the Heineken Experience was meh. Btw we got that IAmsterdam pass for transport and attraction and it worked out well if one wants to do a bunch of museums etc… Taking a cab or Uber just doesn’t work well and is pretty expensive there. We had one rain half-day so had to do so. Even from the airport the train is the way to go, especially as we stayed at the Renaissance which is an easy walk from the train. We got a Club room there which was worth it for the room upgrade and access to the lounge with breakfast, drinks, snacks. It’s a corporate place and not unique, but it worked well for us. The best rates on both our London hotel (Royal Horseguards) and in A’dam were had direct rather than on a travel website. We took the Eurostar from London with one, inexpensive class upgrade and it was excellent. Pott Exchange on the main drag at Dam Square had excellent rates.

Had a good time at Tales and Spirits (another thanks for recco) for craft cocktails and good gastropub snacks. Don’t count on being able to get the dinner menu as both nights we went they weren’t serving it after 8pm. I revisited Prix D’Ami coffee house from younger days twice, but will leave it at that. Wanted to go to Blaauw for Indonesian risataffel as I saw a lot of reccos and it looked good, but could not fit it in.

Foodhallen was cool for a casual selection of foods in one spot. Great fries at Mannekinpis and Velminck.
It’s a really cool city. Lots to do, but smallish. Great vibe and walkable. Friendly locals. We were only there 2-1/2 days, 3 nights and it was rushed. I had been twice before as with London and my wife never to either. We both enjoyed Amsterdam more.
8D107534-53AA-4522-B1EB-1D27320A3853.jpeg

John, great write up and glad to see you enjoyed Daalder and Tales and Spirits. Our most recent visit to Daalder we sat outside as it was a beautiful warm evening. Your description of the food is perfect, flavorful and creative. Plus the staff and service is superb.
We always end our evenings at Tales and Spirits. Love their cocktails but my wife likes it cuz she can say “shut the fuck up George” and get away with it :slight_smile:.

john
i remember prix d’ami from the late 80’s
how about a little more info as i think i’d go back