MUSINGS FROM AMSTERDAM 2017 VERSION

First, I prefer to be in the Centrum of Amsterdam which is where most of the action is. One can be close to the Red Light District as an example and still be in a classy neighbourhood so it comes down to the specific place be it hotel or apt. Hotels are relatively expensive compared to apts and in most instances would not have kitchen facilities which is pertinent for those who want to do some dining in.

There are many websites to list for lodging choices. I recommend doing so well in advance of a planned trip. Houseboats are also an options. Be careful in this category because they can be noisy if on a busy canal, chilly, have limited ceiling height and small bathroom, bedroom and kitchen areas. Some are like palaces.

Obviously, some neighbourhoods are more quieter that others and there are buildings within neighbourhoods that offer more peace and quiet. Get clear feedback.

Central Amsterdam can have loud and long nights especially on weekends and special holidays. Stay away from busy streets, bars, etc if you desire to have a restful sleep.

Hope this helps.

I stayed at the Kimpton De Witt recently and enjoyed it very much.

Starting my 3rd of 3 weeks this visit, I lucked out with a huge shift in weather upon arrival from cold and windy to warm and windy. Today it was around 75F. My lined trench coat, ski hat, gloves and neck gator are stashed away for repacking.

I thought this would be a great time to be here when Spring is happening. The trees were bare when I arrived and now there is green on all with some almost half way bloomed out, in just 2 weeks. Residents are planting flowers daily. The canals are full of boats, people are wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. Skate boards are replacing bikes [just a little]. Spirits are up and bodies are colouring. Spring is definitely in the air.

Proost,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1b18.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1b1b.jpeg
IMG_1712.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1b1c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1b1a.jpeg

Never figured out why those ladies in the windows kept opening and closing their curtains. Seeing The Night Watch from a foot away before stepping back is truly unforgettable.

I just posted tasting notes and photos of dinner wines at Cafe de Klepel in Wine Talk. I did not include this photo which is typical of so many places in Amsterdam where one is greeted with a magnificent flower arrangement which is changed out often enough to be fresh and colourful [and photographical]. I`m guessing this is 8 feet tall.
fullsizeoutput_1b25.jpeg

I went with my younger daughter several years ago and we stayed on a houseboat. It was fantastic. I think we went through VRBO at the time but I would check AirBnB these days. I really prefer AirBnB to hotels. They are so much more comfortable and individualistic and usually similar or cheaper price. Our houseboat location was quite good - close to the street where Tempo Doeloe is.

We loved Amsterdam. The Van Gogh Museum is my favorite museum anywhere. We took a fun day tour outside the city with one of the guides who was highly rated on TripAdvisor. We had great frites and a bunch of fun dinners. Our only regret was that the herring stand we had planned to go to at the end of the trip was closed on our last day. Better planning next time.

We love traveling as a family but have also split up and taken just one of the kids for quite a few trips like this. It’s very fun and a different type of experience when you don’t have to coordinate the whole family.

During my great night at Cafe de Klepel, I got a tip from the main guy to try a relatively new restaurant that is also wine savvy called 4850. Today, I walked about 30 minutes from my apartment in the centrum to it and had a look and a chat with one of their 3 somms.

I`m impressed at least with the wine list and inventory, much of which is not yet on their lists. They have a few of a lot of different wines from a lot of different wine regions. Most bottles are of younger vintages and they are attempting to add some aged wines. Lots of familiar producers such as Dujac, Leflaive, Lafon, Anne Gros, Donnhoff, Rostaing, Lopez de Heredia, Artadi, Pehu Simonet.

They have been open for 3 1/2 months and are featured as a coffee and wine bar. Food choices seemed limited, but sufficient for those who go there for coffee and/or wine.

The location is near Oosterpark. Here`s a link for a recent review- 4850 AMSTERDAM - Petite Passport

Will check it out. Unfortunate we won’t meet up this trip for you :confused: Likely down again early-mid May to work on my transition plan!

I was about to text you and then this. So you got the message. This is really more about the wine than food and wine. At least that’s my impression. I’ll check it out when I return in the fall. Let me know your thoughts if you go beforehand.

BTW, they have the same Rostaing La Landonne that de Klepel has/had.

going to take a quick trip there in september
restaurant advice would be greatly appreciated.
we will likely be a group of 8 and do not need 3* michelin
casual would be great

Enjoyed these two Restaurant Breda http://www.breda-amsterdam.com/en/and Restaurant Johannes 413 - Restaurant Johannes

The question is do you want a wine savvy rest. or just cuisine and if the latter, your preferences? Also, location is pertinent for convenience, so if you know where you will be staying, I can probably suggest a few.

thanks blake, i was hoping you’d chime in.
i’ll get my facts together and then come back and ask more specific questions.
cheers

ok getting there with plans
will only be 4 people
we love wine but not the reason for dining
only 1 adventurous eater out of the 4
hotel is the hoxton which appears to be relatively central
sunday the 16th is a big bday dinner for my buddy so something fun is a must
not sure if any of this helps!

Got it Mark.

First, your hotel is a good one and centrally located as you know. It`s near Dam Square and the Palace as well as where the major action is which could be a place to avoid depending upon your level of energy preferences.

Here’s some suggestions: for shopping, you are near Kalverstraat which is one of the best of all areas for shopping in Adam. Also, for higher end, unique stuff, go to the 9 streets which is also near your hotel, but the opposite direction in the Jordaan. Here’s a link: http://www.theninestreets.com

For restaurants, the birthday dinner choice could be Greetje for traditional Dutch cuisine or Krua Thai Classic for the best Thai food in the city. You can check them out on line for appeal including pricing.

Other restaurants that I enjoy include blauw on Acterburgwal 99[not to be confused with others similarly named], Open, on the water at Westerdoksplein 20 modern, Cafe de Klepel, Mata Hari, Gebr. Hartering and Cafe Daalder. Some of these are wine centric and also pricy. All are in walking distance. Definitely look them up for your personal desires and make reservations. Cafe de Klepel required reservations 2-3 weeks out when I was there in October.

There are many more restaurants including the touristy Pancake Bakery on Prinsengracht which I like and go to often for the true version called pannekoeken, but have to withstand long lines in many instances. Do the frites at Vleminckx, just off Kalverstraat.

Of all the museums, the biggies obviously include Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, but the one I love is the Amsterdam Museum which chronicles the history of the city and the magnificent engineering feats to control land and water as well as build this glorious city from the pilings up.

And then there is my go to place called a Stam Cafe in Dutch, de Engelbewaarder. Great beers on tap and great food at a reasonable price with a clientele mix of artists, students and professors from the U of A and many fine, peaceful locals of all ages. It`s casual, has a friendly vibe and on a canal, owner by a gentle giant and big hearted guy who attracts dedicated servers who stay for years on end, many with doctorates and masters degrees. Klovenieersburgwal 59.

Should you desire more info, I`m happy to oblige.

Helpful thread. Any recommendations for moderately priced dinners that offer choices of appetizers and entrees? A lot of places I am looking at seem to have fixed menus. Looking for Dutch, perhaps Nordic or pan-Euro cuisine. Prefer spots with good wine or beer selections.

Thanks.

Two in my recent post may work for your preference: Mata Hari and de Engelbewaarder. There are numerous small places that can work and I’m thinking on it and hopefully can come up with some names.

Thanks for quick response. Edited above for cuisine preferences.

de Engelbewaarder looks like it might be a bit more casual than I seek.

Try Restaurant d’Vijff Vlieghen. Yes, the Engel is very casual.

Thanks, looks like a promising choice. How’s the wine?

I assume Klepel is set menu.

Do you know Van de Kaart?