Most Disappointing Wine You Cellared

This. By far. Usseglio one of the worst examples.

And I used to love this region.

I forgot about thatā€“wretched stuff!

25+ years ago when my average cost per bottle was maybe $5, I tasted a Silverado reserve cab at the original Wine Club in Orange County and caved, bought 1 bottle for $25! It was amazing that day and held it for maybe 10 years, saving it for that ā€œspecialā€ day. When that day arrivedā€¦what a dud!
I canā€™t remember who I drank it with but I hyped it up beforehand and to say I was embarrassed is an understatement.

I learned to never hype, due to these sorts of experiences. lol. Unfortunately, my wife LOVES to hype thingsā€¦ wines, restaurants, moviesā€¦ ā€œthe best wine youā€™ll EVER haveā€ is a hard thing to live up to.

a case of 76 Petrus I bought around 86. Half the case was undrinkable and the rest bad.

Not sure this is quite what you were thinking, but after sampling '88 Ramonet Batard-Montrachet at an auction tasting, I hunted high and low until I found a single bottle on the West Coast. Had it shipped overnight to Chicago, and then hand-carried back to Canada. Held onto it in a cellar for a few years for a special occasion, only to have it be completely dead on opening. Saddest wine day of my life (other than a profoundly corked '86 Lafite).

1990 Faiveley Beze,
so much wasted expectation, had 2 bottles and both were faulty duds

Great topic, and I have 2 answers:

1. Individual wine, Ponsot CdlR from 97 and 98, bought a mixed case, 6 each of them around 2001. Let them rest for 6-8 years, and found them to be cloudy, unstable messes. I still have 4 left. Alas the last one popped was the worst so far, so cellar time does not appear to be the answer.

2. Behrens and Hitchcock wines. I bought into the Parker hype, joined the list and for 3 years purchased practically everything they pumped out; Cabs, Syrahs, plus many weird blends with cute names and labels. Once I started drinking them, some were good, but most were flawed by VA and that dreaded purple plastic cork.

I had three bottles in my cellar, and the first in 2014 was very good. Interestingly enough, I just pulled the 2nd bottle into my ā€œDrink Nowā€ rack. Iā€™ll have to get to it soon.

Iā€™ve had a couple bad disappointments. Most recently, a 2001 Yquem which was corked. But also a good number of white burgundy that was pre-moxed (including Verset, Girardin), and a case of Behrens & Hitchcock spoiled by those terrible synthetic corks.

+1
No there, there.

I guess I should feel happy/lucky that I was never able to wait on any B&H wines, never having many, and just drank them up as they fell into my clutches. And loved them young.

Truly the Elizabeth Taylors of the wine world!

I think too many people mistake BIG fruit, BIG alcohol or BIG tannin as a guarantee a wine can by aged for a long time. In my very uninformed opinion, I feel like balance is the most important element along with those others plus acidity.

Barry - most people wouldnā€™t include alcohol as something that will help a wine age. In fact, if itā€™s too hot to start with, itā€™s a safe bet that itā€™s going to be worse with time. As far as big fruit, thatā€™s why you drink it young.

Itā€™s still kind of a mystery as to what will age and what wonā€™t, but I learned a long time ago that when Parker said something needed fifty years, you had a fifty fifty chance of him being right.

For me, the worst has been the 1998 S. Rhones. I generally like CdP younger anyway, and Iā€™ve learned not to keep most of them. Same thing happened with the 2000s and 2001s. When the 2007s came out, I was nonplussed that certain critics liked those more than the bracketing years, which seemed much more drinkable to me.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

wow, way to be an ass Arv.

Most of the 2001 chateauneuf that Iā€™ve cellared. So good back in the day, but most have not shown much good in a long while.

'98 Beaucastels went from something really nice to soupy barbecue sauce a few years ago. It seemed to me the change was sudden, as though someone had thrown a switch.

Antinori Solaia has been a wine that seemed dazzling at release, but matured into a very ordinary claret. The 2000 and 2001 that I thought were treasures of my cellar tasted like decent $40 Bordeaux when I opened them in the last year.

I wonder how long youā€™d have to cellar them for them to taste like $20 blends?

Kidding. Nothing worse than a wine disappointment. Especially when itā€™s one you prized.

Right?

Most Morey Burgsā€¦

Most Gros Burgsā€¦

[wow.gif]

Sounds like our expectations were similar, of a questing artisan producer with prime vineyard sites, making wines with eagerly anticipated potential. FWIW I found the 2001 vintage much better (though an Auswine forum recently wrote they didnā€™t like those), but prices have risen such that I donā€™t anticipate there being the value in this label I expected. Under Ā£30 when I bought mine, so not financially the worst hit - the 2001s very much worth that IMO.

Their Chardonnay is their wine I still hold in high regard, not at all cheap, but very complex.