Minneapolis Aug. 28 (or possibly 29)?

@Tom_R_W

(Assuming Tom above is the same Tom from Mike G’s list of who likes to offline in MSP - not seeing an @ tag for Brad B but I may have his e-mail address)

Hi all, sorry for the short notice but I’ll be around the week after next. I will be with colleagues one night and free the other - right now it looks like Monday the 28th is more likely to be the free night.

Anyone up for something? Have wine, will travel!

Sounds very cool, Dave!
Traveling in DC so need just a bit to figure out my sched that week.
I’ll get back soon

1 Like

@Ron_Erickson
@Christopher_M_Morgan

Anyone else in MSP that might be interested?

I am absolutely interested but have a work travel (rare) conflict this very time.

@Thomas_Keim ?

I’m interested - and pretty sure I can sneak out of work - let me know a place and a possible theme -

1 Like

I can make Monday night! Could also do Tues night with a couple day notice.
I’m in northern MN so am not able to host and would be driving down on Monday.

Thoughts on format?

I just locked Tuesday in with my colleagues, so it’s Monday night for the winos.

Sounds like three of us at the moment? If anyone knows any other locals, WBers or not, feel free to invite 2-3 more.

I’m pretty open on theme or lack thereof. Three things I’m generally not a fan of are big modern oaky jammy reds from anywhere, sauvignon blanc from anywhere, or pinot noir from anywhere other than Burgundy. Otherwise I pretty much like it all. I generally prefer wines with some age, reds moreso than whites or bubbles. I love Italian reds but generally don’t bring them because they are my wife’s favorites so mine are for opening with her, but I’m happy to drink yours.

If there are 3 of us, I’d be happy to try and do a theme, or likewise happy to do 1 bubbly, 1 white, and 1 red, or 1 white, 1 red, and 1 dessert wine.

Here are some things that I have standing up in the accessible part of my cellar - happy to bring any one of them -

2000 Ch. La Tour Haut Brion
2005 Ch. Beausejour (Duffau)

2005 Pavelot Savigny “Guettes”

2005 Balthazar Cornas “Chaillot”
2009 Clusel-Roch Cote Rotie “Classique”

2003 Tempier “Migoua” Bandol
2011 Beaucastel
2012 P. Usseglio CdP “Mon Aieul”
2014 Charvin CdP

2002 Williams Selyem “Feeney” zin

2014 Beta “Montecillo” cab

2004 LdH "Bosconia Reserva

1998 LdH “Tondonia” Reserva blanco

I’m heavy in Bordeaux, Burgundy and Italy - But as with you Dave - my better half loves the three 'Bs" of Italy - and Monday works fine with me. I do have quite a bit of 2nd Growth Bordeaux in the 15-20 year old category - so that would work for me - I like to bring something off the wall brown bagged as well.

1 Like

I’m deep on CA, WA, OR reds, variety of ages & styles.
Items that might work:

Rhone-
Guigal Hermitage 2000
CdP-
Beaucastel 2001
Chateau Sixteen Cuvee du Vatican 2007
Mont Olivet 2008
Pegau 2009

WA-
Cayuse syrahs (mid 2000’s)

Chile-
Clos Apalta 2005

CA-

Lots of Dirty & Rowdy, ExtraDimensional Wine Co, just about everything made in the last 3 yrs. Mourvèdre, Grenache, blends in a low alcohol, minimal wood, plus acid style. Fun, food friendly wines.
Jolie Laide in similar style.

Diamond Creek Cabs from the 90’s
Togni Cabs, '95,96,97,03,12,14
Spring Mtn Vineyards '87, etc

Mount Eden Cab '15,16 (Santa Cruz Mtns)

Sky Vineyards Mt Veeder, Napa (low alc, low oak style)
'14 Syrah
Zin '13,14,15

What are you guys thinking- meet at a restaurant?

95% of the offlines I attend are at restaurants but every once in a while someone hosts. I’m good either way. Just need to confirm that corkage is acceptable. I will not have a rental car so being relatively easy by cab/rideshare from downtown Mpls would be a plus.

Tom, on your list the Diamond Creek or Togni cabs hold the most interest to me. Both are producers who have great appeal to me by reputation but for one reason or another I have never cellared and have very rarely even tried. Togni + 2 Bordeaux, for example, would be an interesting study in similarities and differences. Others also have appeal but I have tasted much more often or have plenty of my own in the cellar.

Sounds great, works for me!

Martina is on my shortlist of Restaurants for me, a favorite chef’s new-ish Argentinian restaurant. I’ve never been, don’t know if the food works well with aged BDX, but have heard great things.
Just called- their corkage is $25/bottle, 3-5 bottles is fine, have availability Mon night for most times, 5 mins south of downtown.

Spoon & Stable (downtown)
Great food! Have to eat at 8pm or later on Mon night. Have to check corkage later.

Thomas might have some better ideas about places…

I would vote for Argentina over starting at 8 on a school night, pending Thomas’s suggestions.

While we’re deciding this, I could also use some recommendations for Tuesday - S&S being similarly unavailable until very late. Good reasonably priced wine list a plus, likewise a downtown location.

I booked Martina for 4 at 6:45pm that Monday simply as a placeholder if we don’t come up with anything more appealing. Can cancel very easily. Can do a bit earlier if preferred.

@Thomas_Keim any recommendations for other spots?

Dave- other Restaurants for your Tues night:
Bar La Grassa, great Italian place with wine to match
Tullibee, for my money the best salads in the city, wine list isn’t great but they serve my fave Beaujolais…
Restaurant Alma, a favorite place to eat north of downtown; fun, eclectic wine list.
Colita, Daniel Prado’s (Martina’s chef) first solo spot in Mpls. Fun tapas spot, excellent food, decent wine, but more of a cocktail place.
Oceanaire (sea food and nice wine list)
Manny’s, Capitol Grille or Murrays (for steak and deep wine lists)

I love Bar La Grassa - $20 corkage as well - I plan on bringing two bottles (and a possible brown bagger),

Never been to Colita - but that sounds very cool - love small plates when there is such a wide variance of bottles on the table -

Thomas, I listed those Restaurants as options for Dave’s Tues night with his colleagues.

I did make a reservation for us at Martina, 6:45 Mon, just so we had something concrete. Never been there, but heard great things. Easy to cancel if we settle on something else.

BLG is booked Monday night until 8:15pm, so don’t think an option.
Colita (which I love) has availability on Monday night and is near Martina, south of Lake Harriet. Have to inquire on corkage, closed until this evening.

Thoughts on Martina vs Colita? Same chef. Martina is the new spot, a bit more fancy than the casual Colita. Colita is Span/Tex-mex small plates and Martina is Argentina-focused & has some small plates but also entrees.

I’ll bring one of the older Togni’s. 95, 96, 97, or 03, let me know preference. I’m home now and all the fill levels are great. I’ve never had the 95 or 03, enjoyed the others.

So that means I have to bring a “Parkerized” Bordeaux?

Although RMPJ loved him some Togni, by all accounts it’s decidedly not “ized” in style, and I hope those accounts ring true. Hoping any Bordeaux aren’t either!

Let me know if either of you have a preference from my list. Happy to bring one of the Bdx or the Beta, or to mix it up and bring one of the others.