MACDONALD on 9/20/16

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, I haven’t tasted it so I don’t know. To me, it’s just the latest thing and another of bottle of $150 Napa Cab.

The only explanation I can come up with is that you’re on the waitlist and this is your attempt to convince people not to buy. That’s the only way any of this makes sense.

Those are “see and be seen” places. I don’t care about being in on the latest trend - I only care about drinking excellent wine. That’s why I was tickled to buy my 3 bottle allocation.

Take a look at their 5 releases on CellarTracker, and after that if you don’t want to grab some… well, good! That’s more for me.

An even better indicator of demand is the secondary market, where IF you can find any you pay double the release price or more.

So stop talking smack and go try some. Your posts are pointless until you do.

Order in

And what Dennis said

So you have no frame of reference here, Stan. You’re like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know… [wink.gif]

Sorry I caused all the flack. It’s just that seems every week there is ANOTHER new Napa cab people HAVE to have and it so reminded me the the LA dining scene for the last 20 years. Maybe this is the new Providence or Spago. Or maybe it’s Rocca or Violet.

Time will tell.

Read up on the history of the Macdonald family’s vineyard, to start, and then seek out a bottle to try, then come back and defend your uninformed comments.

First, IN.

Second, I think you raise a valid point. Its hard to know the substance from the flash. I have been buying since 11 and only tried the 11 which was great. Still, they seem like good people. The vineyard site is great and old. I am willing to go on that for a bit along with a lot of comments on the BB. It does get hard to pick and choose where to spend the money. I think perhaps a separate thread would have gone over better as one never likes their sacred cow gored which is what Macdonald is on the BB right now.

No worries. You do make a valid point.

Now go get a bottle!

I have to agree with the valid points. It does seem like there is always a new wine/winery on the scene. This board is a great enabler on its own while being a place to otherwise discover something you haven’t heard of before. And a place to perhaps see a bit of crowd hype.

Just like a hot new restaurant, whether a wine lives up to its billing will happen with time. True substance more often than not will show through. But until then it can sometimes be hard to figure out that substance without more research.

Having seen the MACDONALD vineyard up close myself, and had the privilege of tasting the 2013, I can say that for me it deserves the hype. Not every hyped up wine may, or be worth the price of admission. But for this I would jump off other lists first. (And my order is in)

I do know about the vineyard(and its history MACDONALD - The Napa Wine Project). I’ve been drinking high end Napa cabs for 40 years(maybe that’s the problem). But the winery itself is new and its track record is short. My comment was not on the quality of the wine(don’t know), but on new winery’s with short histories and their $150 a bottle pricing and the eerie similarity product. The last 10 years have been flooded with them. Maybe these people are different, maybe their not. But I’m hesitant to spend $150-$400 to find out. I was making a larger point about Napa cabs in general, not necessarily this specific one. Again, sorry for causing any flack.

Agreed. My mistake.

Do burgers and steaks from sacred cows taste better than burgers and steaks from regular cows?

Yes. Pasture raised and rice/wheat/barley/sorghum finished Wagyu is mighty tasty.

Add massage and a little classical music and then you really have a pampered cow.

I refuse to massage a cow. Sheep, yes.

Anyone know if anyone is likely to be added to the list ?

Only in the LA dining scene.

I just go by a number of friends whose palates I absolutely respect and am calibrated to. They all raved. Like really really raved. So I asked Alex to go on the list to buy he and his brother’s wine. Hopefully I can soon!

I made the cut for the 2010 but didn’t pull the trigger within the 15 or so minutes the wine was available to me. They made 92 cases of the 2010.

I made the cut for the 2011 but didn’t pull the trigger within the 15 or so minutes the wine was available to me. They made 116 cases of the 2010.

I didn’t make the cut for the 2012, although Alex told me I was at the top of the list if there was any wine left for a second wave (there wasn’t). I’m not sure how many cases they made of the 2012.

I made the cut for the 2013 and purchased immediately (thx guys, you rock!!). They made 227 cases of the 2013.

Sorry for being a bummer, but imo this will be a tough list to crack if you didn’t sign up years ago…perhaps the toughest one out there right now.