Late(r) Afternoon Napa Tastings

Planning a May trip to Napa, and trying to round out our 2 days of tastings (getting in late on the first day and only able to make some downtown Napa spots, if anything, before a dinner at French Laundry (hopefully),

Without going into a long(er) diatribe, our 2 days of tastings are centered around an enhanced tasting at Joseph Phelps on Saturday for lunch, and a member’s visit to Chappellet just afternoon on Sunday. Because of the middle of the day work-arounds, I struck out on tastings at Colgin (multi-year customer) and Promontory due to time conflicts. Moreover, to appease the wife we’ve scheduled morning tastings at Frank Family and either Mumm/Chandon (leaning towards Mumm) to allow for sparkling options in a pre-noon timeslot. This has left me with the 3:00-4:00 time period open on both days, with a few options already explored and ruled out (either for lack of availability or the wineries not even being open those days).

The root of my question is an attempt to thread the needle between tastings at locations that are: a.) casual, but NOT overly commercial or without any legitimacy whatsoever, b.) have a nice, relaxed tasting enviroment and/or nice settings/views, c.) a spectrum of wines to taste, and d.) as close to full-blown Napa top producer status as possible (you’ll note that this is the last wish-list item, as it’s mine and means not much to my wife). Right now, I have tastings booked at Corison and Odette for the afternoons, but have primarily tried to lock in options that were available that generally seemed to fit my (my wife’s) requirements.

I’ve read/been told good things and/or have wines from William & Mary, Rivers-Maries, La Pelle, Mending Wall, O’Shaugnessy, and Mathiasson. We have already visited Joesph Phelps, Palmaz, Gamble (with a ton of these wines in the collection), Dakota Shy (also a ton of these wines in the collection), Trefethen, Venge, Schramsberg, Chimney Rock, and Alpha Omega on a previous trip. I’d love to hit another of the major players in the Pritchard Hill/Eastern Mountian area, though I’m not married to that idea, and it takes a back seat to my wife’s preferences.

I think I’m definitely in a good variety position at the moment, but I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on wineries that would be good enough to replae Corison and/or Odette. Are there recommendations to conisder for places that would largely tick the boxes on my requirements. Basically looking for reasons to dethrown the current owners of those Any insights are very much appreicated!

2 Likes

Morning tasting…Ummmm Schramsburg is the call.

5 Likes

Futo.
Dana
Blankiet
Abreu in the cave with Brad
Lunch or dinner w Roy piper tasting
Have not been to Brand since it was sold but had a great tasting years ago
Bella oaks at Bella oaks a real treat

I would definitely visit William & Mary (probably at mending wall) Rivers Marie and Mending Wall

5 Likes

Initial thought: do not dethrone Corison or Odette.

I’ve been to Corison, great vineyard. Classic.

Odette a fine producer.

You’re set!

1 Like

Don’t disagree, but we’ve been to Schram and haven’t been to enough places yet to justify going back to repeat locations.

Hit lithology on meadowood Ln. they are on a very good run. The 21’s are absolute knockouts. High end and small production. Beckstoffer tokalon, las piedras and dr crane single vineyard wines. They also do a Napa valley blend that has a good dose of G3 in it.

1 Like

Corison is the only winery that I am and ever have been a member. Love every bottle I have drank and enjoyed every visit. That being said it is best enjoyed in warm weather sitting out back. If you have not had cathy s wines they are a must. Odette is a nice visit not a wine I drink these days. Just visited RM enjoyed very much mending wall is ok not very private. However based upon your note, dinner at FL buyer Colgin and Promotory- I suggest if you want that level of a very private elegant visit you refer to my list especially if you can afford this level of wine, want it to be very private and have never tasted some of these. Only a visit will get you to the top of the list on some these. Futo is between Promotory and Harlan and is simply amazing. Ask if Tom will be at your visit he is the owner. Bella Oaks is so stunning with the art and the wine amazing. Nigel Kinsman winemaker. Nothing like Abreu in the caves with Brad great wine better music. He has a great collection of Vinyl. Anytime anywhere with Roy Piper is fabulous and highly educational. Roy keeps a real beat on Napa. You could also add Morlet. Walking around downtown try not to miss Mayacamus and the new Mondavi, Schrader, tasting room. Really done well Had a private before hours tasting there when they first opened.

1 Like

Ill have to look into lithology!

Was at Lithology recently. Michael was a great host. Went specifically for the cab franc Very private visit not a lot to see but nice building.

How about the library tasting at Spring Mountain or head up the hill to Lokoya? Also, you might try Eisele across the valley.

2 Likes

Zach, definitely look into Lithology. Great wines. I agree with @D_Mowe here 100%

2 Likes

What dates are you visiting? If during Bottlerock (5/24-5/26) take traffic into consideration when planning appointments and give yourself some extra drive time.

I personally think that Corison and Odette are great options.

But just for alternative’s sake: So I am not going to claim this is the type of iconic producer/visit similar to some of the high-end producers in this thread, but I will say that when faced with this exact same situation (looking for a late afternoon tasting to fill the void between an earlier tasting and dinner), my friend who lives in Napa setup a tasting at Freemark Abbey. It is not a beautiful site/view so that may be a non-starter, but I did enjoy trying their SVD flight and experiencing the differences between Sycamore, Bosche and Stagecoach vineyards (Sycamore was my favorite). Since you mentioned Pritchard Hill I thought I’d throw it out there as another option, but I know it probably does not have the same cache as others in this thread and may not be intriguing enough to trade Corison/Odette. I do think it is worth a try at some point and obviously Freemark’s participation in the Judgement of Paris Tasting adds some historical significance.

Tench

1 Like

We did Corison’s most expensive tasting option on a chilly morning a couple years ago and it was so disappointing that we regretted it. The tasting is in a barn so the wines never warmed up to what I consider a decent temperature, we weren’t super comfortable and the host/experience were fine but nothing noteworthy.

Maybe it would be better when the weather is nicer, but It was our least favorite and most expensive (I think) tasting of the trip. I also dont think they waived any tasting fees with purchase.

2 Likes

Rivers-Marie is a great and very relaxed tasting experience with a nice variety of wines. Myriad is also great. I think the Mayacamas estate tour and tasting is can’t miss, but between the winding drive up there and great ATV tour and such, not the most relaxing.

1 Like

La Pelle/Grassi and William & Mary are lovely vists with wonderful people.

3 Likes

Highly recommend William & Mary. Will Segui conducts the tasting and is a level above most other tastings. Great wine, great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

3 Likes

Stony Hill is another great call for a morning tasting.