Korean food matching (not korean bbq)

Oh I have an open mind alright but I would not say Korean food has as many cooking styles as nearby China or India, and in terms of western cooking, there really isn’t any baking. You have to understand the Korean peninsula is not that large an area (about the size of Idaho) and above a latitude where a lot of things simply don’t grow: this limits what they have to work with (compare with China which has semi-tropical and northerly climates).

I have to disagree with this. First, Indian food isn’t very diverse. Korean foods that pretty much most non-koreans know about has so much diversity. Some Chinese food is similar to Korean and many Japanese to Korean as well.
Korean do not eat only Kimchi, bbq, bibbimbap, pancakes, etc. What you find in many Korean restaurants are an extremely small display of Korean cuisine as a whole.

That’s a pretty silly argument. Indian food is much more diverse than Korean food, which is not to say that Korean food isn’t diverse. India is a much more hetereogenous country than Korea with far more diverse ethnic groups under the same umbrella of a country where as >95% of ppl in Korea are ethnically Korean. Not to mention that India has 30 times the population of South Korea. The vast majority of Indian food isn’t available in the US, whereas I would argue that most (if not all) Korean cuisines are available in los angeles or new york. While you could make the argument that non-Koreans are exposed to a relatively small subset of available Korean foods, it isn’t anywhere close to the paucity of Indian cuisine avaialble in the US. Chinese cuisine is sort of similar although there is a longer history of Chinese restaurants in the US so there is a greater variety of Chinese food available than many other ethnic cuisines.

I love that a two year old thread from the dumpster can continue arguments as if there had been no hiatus.

And then:

First, Indian food isn’t very diverse.

Really? It’s actually extremely diverse. The problem is that people refer to the entire subcontinent as if it were a single, unified place. It’s a bit like referring to “European” cuisine and imagining that there’s so much in common between the foods of Latvia and those of Sicily. India has a number of different regional cuisines that have been influenced by mountains and tropics, by various religions, and by Arabs, Europeans, Mongols, Chinese, and other invaders/traders. In some areas they use more milk products, in others more fish, in some regions wheat, in other regions rice, in some regions coconuts, in others vinegars, etc.

As to pairings with Korean food, I just give up on it and drink what I like and eat what I like. If the food is good and the wine is good, that’s sufficient. Pretty much how I pair anything.

Whoops. Writing while Michael was posting. Making the same point though. [cheers.gif]

Diverse ethnic group doesnt make it Indian food. Thats saying Chinese food in America is American food. Lol

Indian food is far more diverse; at least one reason is because a huge subset of it is vegetarian, while other huge portions are not. If you look at say Gujarati food vs Malayali food vs Bengali Muslim cuisine you might not even think they’re at all related.

Do you find any disagreements to be arguments in life? We are having a discussion. Relax man. Go drink a bottle of wine.

Good to know. Now I’m going to blame all of my Indian friends including my best friend as to why they only introduce me to chicken vindaloo lol

OK, children. Let’s get our focus back!

Wife and I made galbi jjim for lunch today. Boneless short ribs, turnip, potato, carrot, whole garlic, mushroom, red onion, red bell pepper and boiled egg simmered in a soy sauce/mirin/sugar/water broth for a bit over an hour, then garnished with slivered bell pepper and green onion (forgot to chop up some cilantro). Key thing is when to add the various veggies, as you don’t want to overcook them, in particular the potato. Serve over rice, our preference being cold rice with stew ladled over it, so rice stays a little firm.

A variety of red wines work fine with this, as it’s got richness from the short rib fat and tendon along with some sweetness. We shared the one glass worth remaining of the 2013 (not ‘14, like I said upthread) TLB Moulin à Vent Les Vielles Vignes, then popped a 2015 Domaine Aléofane Crozes Hermitage. Certainly would also try Italian like a Barbera d’Asti, as well.

Life isn’t bad, to say the least!

2C54A6B5-C2EE-4DCB-A21D-BEA546B46587.jpeg
3A4A7136-72ED-46E1-BD38-9FDC6CDD2D45.jpeg

Do you find any disagreements to be arguments in life? We are having a discussion. Relax man. Go drink a bottle of wine.

[scratch.gif]

Sparkling Shiraz or ‘similar’. Believe it or not, I’ve had a couple of sparkling shiraz (the only ones I’ve had) that were quite good, both were brought back by CA syrah winemakers, so maybe that had something to do with it. That said, SS would be an excellent match with Korean.

[rofl.gif]

+1
Maybe, basic Indian restaurant food isn’t very diverse, but I’m not even sure that works, except in pretty bleak places.

(and I LOVE Korean food)

Hey now. At least I didnt throw a tantrum about Blanton and get proven wrong! [tease.gif]

I wasn’t fully wrong (and neither was he), but at least I owned up to what I got wrong. Can’t say the same about you.

Then you should read the thread again because I did.

“Good to know.”

O
M
G

Hahhaa. Too many children here.