Korean food matching (not korean bbq)

Thanks ER and Eric. Loved the picture of the food :slight_smile:. Ending up with Syrah and Unoaked, no or low sulfur Chablis. Decided to have the Moulin a Vent another time, since it a lesser price. Pairing were good the Syrah went over well as we had some spicy dishes. I had it with Galbi JJim (stewed Beef short ribs) and spicy pork so it worked. Good to share the wine with the rest of the dinner party.

Looks awesome. Living well, as always!

I loved the food in Korea for the 1.5 years I was there. There is a lot of spice and greens in the foods that I had. So for the greens & spice based dishes I’d pair them with the Foris Dry Gewürztraminer. A highly under-rated pairing. For their soups like sundubu jjigae I’d pair that with a Spätlese Riesling or N.V. Patrick Bottex Bugey Cerdon Rose La Cueille or a sour beer like Cantillon or Driefontein.

What a great thread. Clash of the first-world-problem titans. [wow.gif]

From Janet who forgot her Berserker password:

Go look at the Wine menu at Benu in SF. While I was there, I had a young Nuit Saint Georges with my dinner which was fabulous. FWIW the somm at Benu is Korean. You should follow him on IG, @yoonhams.

I won’t even step into the poo show re the diversity of Indian vs Korean food. They’re both very diverse and I love them both. I work with a lot of folks of South Asian origin and it’s all pretty amazing food. That being said my contention is that most Korean restaurants in the US are banquet food and does not actually reflect what Koreans eat at home all the time. I really cannot find the homey stuff my mom and aunts make anywhere.

Depending on level of spice, for non-spicy-hot things I do like lighter reds that can stand up to some of the more aggressive spicing with ginger and sesame. Beaujolais, Bordeaux, Rose. For meat things like kalbi jjim, bulgogi that are meaty but not hot, I think Burgundy is great, young or old. Syrah with peppery flavors will also work well.

For really hot stuff like pork or chicken bulgogi (which is coated with gochujang) or kimchi fried rice, I like an off-dry or sweet white like Riesling Auslese or Gewurztraminer.

For simple stuff, I think older reds with a lot of tertiary earthy flavors, I really like old pinot noirs. It goes with soy and mushroom and miso flavors common in Korean foods. I could see lightly funky CdP going as well.

you are right