Korean food matching (not korean bbq)

Those really hot dishes are hard for wine, and those I understand the folks that say beer or water. But I like to at least try wine, and with Ajujim (monkfish stew- spices similar to Soondubu Jjigae), I thought offdry Riesling worked best.

How about non spicy korean foods? Korean foods seem to get a reputation for being spicy but there are many non spicy foods as well. So what would you pair with those?

Same thing. Japanese call it Shochu and Koreans call it Soju. Both are paint thinner to me.

No. It’s called Soju. You are not even Japanese. Maybe you need to stick to fruity cocktails with cute umbrellas.

And the horse you rode in on. I’ve spent a lot of time in Japan and it’s Shochu

[wow.gif]

Duck!

Apparently, you dont seem to understand Soju is a korean drink. You provided the evidence I needed. Thanks.

I’m happy you spent time in Japan. But I’m Korean.

[thumbs-up.gif]

I’ve never had a soju that I even remotely liked, though Koreans seem to drink it with meals at restaurants I frequent. There’s also a rice-based drink called makgeoli that hasn’t impressed me. Any brands anyone might recommend? Otherwise, a good dry sake might be just the thing.

I love Korean food (my favorite cuisine), and when I’m cooking for myself only, that’s all I cook. I don’t even attempt to match wines. Take a tip from the Koreans…beer, or hot tea. Ginseng tea or ginger beer if you want to branch out.

Great suggestions; some of the thread went off topic. To sum it up, reisling, chenin blanc,gv, beaujolais, some speciality sake and french suggestions, syrah and zin. I would probably add sonoma coast pn and chardonnays. Any other suggestions in burgundy or cab, etc? To pair with bbq and non bbq foods. Thks

You should be telling us. Bad Korean.

This thread could’ve been tightened up from the get go if the different styles/types of Korean foods were addressed as something more definitive than “not BBQ”. Dduk mahndoo gook is not like koong nahmuhl gook. Jahpchae is not like nnehng myun. Haemuhl pahjun is not like yaki mahndoo. Kkalbi jjim is not like bo ssahm. Kkimchee jjigae with pork belly and potatoes is not like kkamjah tahng (another soup/stew with potatoes and pork). ***

Soju is to shochu as Southern Rhône is to Northern Rhône…i.e. they share some DNA/similarities, but they are really NOT the same. Or as they say often in Southeast Asia, “same same but different”.

Props to the posters who did call out specific dishes, and the pairings they’ve ostensibly tried with them.

For dinner tonight, we made a kkimchee jjigae with both soft and firm tofu, potatoes, pork belly and starting to get funky kkimchee. Paired it with a 2014 Thibault Liger-Belair Moulin a Vent gamay bojo. Worked very well together.

*** for anyone wondering what the double consonants mean, it connotes the sound having a “harder” emphasis/intonation. The kk will sound more like a G in “gallery” than a K in “okay”. Koreans pronounce it gim-chee, like the Gimp from “Pulp Fiction”. Also, most Westernized spellings invoking the A vowel will be pronounced more like “ah” than “eh”. Dumplings are pronounced mon-doo (not trying to emulate the idiot that is Tom Hanks’ failson Chet, but think “I was born in Jamaica, mon”) rather than man-doo.

Not dog?

From my humble experience,

Bdx, Barolo - Bulgogi (with mushrooms), Galbi have worked for me.
Red Burgundy, old rioja - Yukhoe, Kongguksu, Samgyetang (needs to be cooled down to room temp), Gyeran-jjim
Champagne - Kimbap, Hoe (sashimi) and most Guks
White Burgundy - Tteok-bokki, Japchae, Dak-kkochi

Korean cuisine is as diverse as western cuisine. What goes with Korean food, well same as what goes well with “western food”.

Interesting pairing for Tteok-bokki. I cant imagine it going well together but perhaps I will try it one day.

Love Korean food but I really wouldn’t say this.

The obvious pairing is a Riesling. I’m giving other substitutes that have worked. For Tteok-bokki, go for richer style White Burg.

I’m neither Korean nor knew much beyond BBQ/ few dishes; but have discovered a lot. They use all types of meat in a various form of cooking (grill, steam, raw, boiled…). Of course, the ingredients/ condiments are different to western, but it is as varied if not more. Just need an open mind Markus :slight_smile:

Thanks ER and Subu! Along with others with specific even to the french producers name. Really insightful. Definitely in kr you will only see soju since it’s easy and flavorless or light fruit.

In the interest in sharing I have found loire les ongles in chenin blanc as well as any chenin blanc to work well. Especially with fusion korean restaurants. Aged dry, acidic pn and chardonnay seemed to work well too. I had aged peay recently and it was fantastic. Pn with meat and main dishes. Chard with veggie and fish. I’m going to try the peay syrah, moulin a Vent, chablis and maybe peay pn for a bbq dinner with family. Thank for suggestion will look to add try to source some of the others next time.