Kobayashi 2023 winter/spring release

The Syrah is fantastic. I have one more in cellar and during the holidays will open the dessert wine. Cannot wait to try it

Doing my best to keep my hands off of mine…

I had the pleasure of being in Seattle the other week before a family Alaskan cruise, and was lucky enough to get Travis out for a glass (rather, bottle) of champagne. We talked life, wine, and everything in-between. I’m not sure how anyone can meet him and not want to buy all he has. Bonus is his wines are spectacular.

We talked (mostly) wine over a bottle of Egly Ouriet Les Crayeres, one of my all time favorite champagnes. Distinctly rich and weighty yet elegant and lithe. Kiss of fino sherry aromatically (which I love). More importantly, I opened a bottle of the 2021 white on the cruise and a bottle shortly after I returned home because the first was so good.

As fate would have it, the second bottle I opened at home found itself next to a 2010 Chave Hermitage Blanc. Among 10 people, the Kobayashi was the unanimous favorite. For clarification, it’s not a true apples to apples comparison. I love Chave wines and the blancs are, normally, in a league of their own. On this day, the Kobayashi mirrored the best attributes (quince, guava, salted honey) and added a kiss of flair (nervy acidity) which faded after 2hrs decanted.

I’m spellbound by the Kobayashi wines each time I have them, and when I try to shake it, I remember that Travis is out there just trying to make great wine, nothing else.

9 Likes

Shay_A,

Couldn’t agree more on all points (Travis and the wines). Drank a 19 Marsanne recently and noted in my observations that it is the equal to most vintages of Chave Blanc that I’ve tried and may just have the edge with it’s extra verve. Cheers!