Is this Domaine or Maison Leroy?

Just checked the label against a 1993 domaine I recently drunk (red capsule) and it is 100pc Identical.

Gérard is also obviously right: if it says « domaine » or « propriétaire » on the label it legally cannot be bought in grapes. Remember the issues Ray Walker had with the « douanes »? They’re notoriously diligent on those points. Domaine and maison wine, for example, can’t ever be in the same location whether it be for elevate or bottling.

What about the Ponsot wines? Clearly labeled as Domaine wines but I’m 99.9% sure he (or family now) doesn’t own them

Montrachet -

Corton -

etc…

Gerald is right ( and again )…

I just checked and read the labels of all my Leroy bottles. All Miason bottles used the following:

“Mis en bouteille par Maison Leroy - negociant à Auxey-Duresses”

I don´t know. [shrug.gif]
I also don´t know the legal agreements between the (probable) owner and Ponsot.

What we see in the pic is actually (legally) the back label … all the legal information (750 ml, alc. etc.) is on the other (smaller) label on the other side … it would be interesting if there is anything written like:
“Mis en bouteille au Domaine” or “…a la proprieté”. I don´t think so.
I´m also not totally sure if everything is really ok … [scratch.gif]

There is a producer who first only produced Domaine-wines.
Labels read: Mis en bouteille a la proprieté - Domaine XYZ

Then he got a negociant license for a few purchased wines.
Instead of using different labels for Domaine and negoce-wines he changed all labels to

Mis en bouteille e distribué par XYZ (no Domaine, only the name).

You have to know if a wine is from own vineyards or purchased juice, no difference on the labels.

Are these produced under a metayage arrangement, where Ponsot farms the vineyard and gets a proportion (typically half, I think) of the fruit? If so, perhaps that qualifies the wine for “domaine” labeling because it’s, in effect, a lease and the winemaker controls the vineyard.

If it is a metayage (lease against half of the crop) or a fermage (lease against money) the vineyard becomes part of the Domaine for the running time of the agreement … then “Domaine” is correct …

Thanks, Gerhard. So my hunch was correct. I Googled that and consulted several books, including Jasper Morris’s, but I couldn’t find the answer.

I don´t think Ponsot makes the Montrachet for a long time, maybe for 4 or 5 vintages … and the Corton not for much longer - certainly not for 10 years … no surprise it´s not in Morris´book (released 2010). [shrug.gif]

I meant there was nothing in the Morris book about what can be labeled as “domaine” wine, not that he didn’t address Ponsot in particular. I couldn’t find any definition in the Larousse encyclopedia of French wine, either.

I have no legal proof either, but I´m pretty sure:
vineyards worked in metayage or fermage: yes, domaine
purchased grapes/must: no, negociant

But there might still be a grey zone in between …

merci…Roman.