Tell me about Ponsot Montrachet?

What’s up with this?
How new is this?
Where does the fruit come from?
Is it bottled under D&S, or Ponsot?

TIA

wow, curious myself, suspect D&S.

Meadows lists it as Ponsot, CT lists it as D&S.
He raved about the 2010, but it reads like it’s really over the top.

Nope, it’s not D&S, it’s Ponsot.

It is only included in his 12 bottle mixed case, you can not buy it separately. Only 300 bottles made, first started with the 2010s. There is so little of this that most distributors are not even allowed to taste it.

I will post a picture of the bottle shortly.

Andrew (who helps me keep things orderly on CT) is reading. Would love to see that pic.

FWIW, CT lists 04 and 09 D&S Montrachet too.

2010 @ Ponsot is Amazing! I want his Chambertin!

http://www.domaine-ponsot.com/images/uploaded/APPELLATIONS%20GENERALES.pdf

Hope to find time to pay a quick visit to my cellar and will take a picture. I have the 2010 assortment box (I guess that will have been clear by now) and when I glimpsed in it when I stored it away I particularly looked for this bottle as I had never seen it before. I will share the picture shortly.

D&S Montrachet from Laurent Ponsot really exists. There is even an image here : Where to buy Domaine & Selection Montrachet Grand Cru, Cote de Beaune | prices & local stores in USA as well as auction data.

Jancis listed 2010 as being the first vintage so I am guessing that this was the first time Ponsot labelled it themselves.

I consolidated all the Ponsot Montrachet under D&S since I knew that was valid. I had a pending task to research the 10/11 vintages and this thread has been most helpful.

Thanks,

A.

What is the story with the D&S bottles btw (not just the Montrachet version, but in general), why does he make them? Is it when he decides he does not think the wine is up to par for bottling under his own label?

I also have some Domaine des Chezeaux Griotte Chambertins, 50% of the Ponsot price and 100% the same thing (they say, I have yet to open them), apart from the label. I am curious whether the same synthetic cork is also used.

Yes it is Johannes, only the text is different…

I tried doing some homework on this, and can’t seem to find anything other than 2010 being the first vintage. No word on where it comes from.

I thought he picked up a few new vineyards in 2010 including CC

OK, guys so here it is. I apologize for the poor quality pictures as my blackberry struggled with making pictures in a dark environment such as in a cellar, and when using the flashlight the reflection was an issue. And then when uploading them to this message the pictures seem to get blurred furthers. But as you can (hopefully) see, it is the real Ponsot label and the close up of the label shows only 388 bottles of this stuff were made. It is a rarity indeed indeed.
Ponsot Monty 2.jpg
Ponsot Monty.jpg

That’s cool. That’s an odd production number.

Maybe 388 bottles and x magnums…

They do seem to like their large formats at Ponsot!

Bear with me guys, I have the ultra rare Ponsot 12 magnum assortment case as well, will post a picture of the Monty mag tomorrow. [cheers.gif]

I’m drooling onto my keyboard…

This is the barrel from 2011…
2011 Ponsot Montrachet.jpg