Indianapolis Offline Planning

A group of Indianapolis-area Berserkers have previously expressed interest in doing some offline tastings/events/hangouts. This thread is meant to house ongoing plans so that we can get some offlines organized. The hope is that by organizing “in the open”, it might make it easier for other Indy Berserkers to find us.

If you are interested in participating, please post in this thread and let us know whether weeknights or weekends work best for you, so that we can start to coordinate schedules.

Also, please let us know if you have access to a space where we could meet (your home, an HOA clubhouse, country club, office space, etc.). One of the difficulties of doing this in Indiana is that state law prohibits corkage/BYOB at restaurants, so finding a venue may be an issue.

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone, and geeking out over some wine!

Charlie,

Nice meeting you! Definitely bonus points as the Indy Offline captain for taking a flyer on my (truly) last second invite. I was pleased to host you and Dennis and hope, as you say, we can look back at it as the first of many get togethers with like-minded Indy area Berserkers.

I’m not sure if the picture will post (or needs a host). Here is the lineup:

Anderson’s Conn Valley CS Reserve from 1994 and 2010, and a 2016 Cadence Bordeaux blend from the Ciel du Cheval vineyard (thank you for supplying).

I’m glad they all showed so well! If I’m correct, the '94 Conn Vally was consensus WOTN. Amazing how youthful it appeared in the glass, though definitely “rounded the corner” on the palate with delicious old leather and je ne sais quoi of age.

IMO, they were of very similar quality (concentration, balance) and it was interesting to appreciate the differences side-by-side of the tertiary characteristics between the CVs and the terroir between those and the Cadence.

For me the Cadence was more masculine in its earthiness and more complex with medicinal (in a good way), mineral, and herbal notes: a great foil to the blowsiness (also in a good way) of the florals and layered dark fruit of the CVs.

Looking forward to next time. Cheers!

1 Like

I am definitely interested. I’ve got a dining room table the can easily seat 10 or so people. Located in Zionsville near Traders Point Creamery. I even know of a local wine store that might be able to accommodate a group of 8 or 10 as crazy as that sounds. I hate to think the cost but The Lofr restaurant would be cool if they could do a private event.

1 Like

I guess I should take my own advice and offer when I’m available! Most of the year, weeknights are better for me. But January-April, it doesn’t make much difference.

So if anyone wants to do something this month (maybe the week of January 14-20?), speak up and let us know what days/dates work for you.

Id love to join in for a tasting at some point.
My schedule is hit or miss on availability. Wednesday or Thursdays during the week I am generally free and the occasional weekend as well.
I did an offline many many years ago with Indy folks and it was a fantastic time. Looking forward to meeting more local wine beserkers to share a glass when possible!

I’m located in Chicago, so not a good candidate for this offline, but just had to say how much I adore the Loft at Traders Point. My in-laws lived in Carmel for years until earlier this year, and we made it a tradition to go to the restaurant every year for my wife’s birthday. We’ve been going for the last 10+ years (lost track). We now head to the east coast and I’ve been missing the Loft. That is all. Hope you all have a blast.

1 Like

I’d be up for that if we can plan a weekend that works for my travel! We do some fun private events here at nice places and dinner usually ends up something reasonable like $500/pp.

I think I found a venue for an offline. At least for the first offline or two. Vine and Table in Carmel has a private tasting room that they will rent for a pretty reasonable rate. We would be allowed to bring our own wine, but a Vine and Table employee has to be present, and has to be the person who pours. (Dumb Indiana state laws…)

The rate is $100 per hour during their weekday business hours. If we want to use the room after regular business hours or on the weekend, the rate is $150 per hour. I figure that’s manageable, especially if we split it several ways.

The manager did tell me that Wednesdays and Thursdays are best (for both staff and room availability), but we can book the room any time, as long as it is free.

How would people feel about having an offline the evening of Wednesday, January 31; or Thursday, February 1? That would be right after BerserkerDay, so we could compare notes on our BD purchases.

As for time of day, I’m thinking maybe 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, but I’m open to other suggestions.

If you are in the Indianapolis area and would be interested in joining an offline on one of those dates, please reply here and indicate which of these dates you are available. If we can get a few people to sign up, I’ll contact Vine and Table and reserve the room.

I’m happy to host at my home. We are located close to west 86th and 465 so very easy access. As I mention before, I can walk to Traders Point Creamery. Anyone attending can just bring some sort of finger food. We can sit at the dining room table:

I would prefer a weekend just so no work the next day I could do something as early as this weekend or the 26th or 27th.

Anyone available?

I’m available January 13, 26, or 27 (but not Jan 14).

FWIW, it has become clear in my conversations that weekends work better for some people, and weekdays work better for others. So I think it’s entirely likely that we might end up with two somewhat parallel groups—one that meets weekdays and one that meets weekends.

So for all the Indy people out there, consider both @John_Coop ’s invitation and my Vine and Table invitation above still open. As far as I’m concerned, we can do one or the other or both.

Of the days mentioned in both proposals above, I can do Wednesday, January 31st!

1 Like

Beuhler?

Our first open-invitation Indianapolis-area offline is officially scheduled! See details in its own thread here:

Is anyone up for hosting or planning something in March?