Indianapolis Offline - Feb 1, 2024

After a bit of planning, @Franklin_R and I have made an executive decision to definitively schedule the first open-invitation Indianapolis-area offline.

Date: February 1, 2024
Time: 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM

As for the theme, we’re starting off easy: “Pinot Noir of the World”. Bring a bottle of your favorite (or at least an interesting) Pinot Noir from Burgundy, Oregon, California, New Zealand, or anywhere else and share it with the group. I have some Bordeaux (not a typo) glasses I can provide, but if you want a proper Burgundy glass, feel free to bring your own stemware.

At the very least, Franklin and I (as well as our spouses) will be there. If you would like to join, let me know and I can provide the address. Spouses are welcome if they are into wine.

If you have any questions, let me know. I look forward to meeting some of you Indianapolis Berserkers!

1 Like

Thank you, we’re looking forward to it!

Hope it’s OK, I continued the effort to corrupt Dennis, er, encourage his wine interest and invited him and his wife to RSVP.

If there is much response, you will have a cap number of attendees? (at some point, it becomes difficult for everyone to taste a single bottle)

Also: I’ll plan to bring 2 bottles (1 per person). Should we declare on this board so people can get an idea about interesting comparisons and avoid duplicates?

That’s great. It will be good to see Dennis again and meet his wife.

Yes, there will have to be a cap. Ten people is the most I can seat, so that seems like a reasonable upper limit. If we find ourselves in the fortunate position of having more than 10 people RSVP in the affirmative, I’ll plan to reach out to Vine and Table and see if their tasting room is available.

As for declaring your bottles, feel free. That would probably help others decide what to bring. (Although if someone out there wants to come, but you don’t know what you’ll be bringing yet, don’t let that stop you from claiming your spot!)

My wife and I will be opening two bottles. One will be a 2011 Matello (now, Goodfellow) “Souris”. The other will probably be another Oregon Pinot, since that’s what I have on hand. (Although I think I have a Jules Taylor PN from New Zealand around here somewhere, if I can find it.)

Sounds great!

I have a couple from Sonoma in mind but will wait to see what others declare. I have one from South Africa that I’ve wanted to try, also have some nice Michigan Pinot Noirs, and could bring Burgundy.

I hope some others join in.

Dennis is in with a +1.

Still waiting to see other declarations before I finally commit.

1 Like

I’m trying to change my on-call schedule to attend. It would just be myself.

1 Like

Thank you for hosting this and organizing this! It’s a bit far from my home and don’t have a DD, so I cannot make it. If anyone is closer to Muncie and wants to have a tasting, please let me know.

1 Like

I completely understand. Hopefully we can do this again in the future and rotate locations.

Count me in! My wife will be my DD. She’ll run big city errands while we ruminate over the bestest grape ever.

I haven’t decided what I’ll bring. Perhaps we just say we’re bringing Old World or New World and let’s taste them blind? (Not that I’m suggesting Charles omit that Matello.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s fantastic. I’ll message you the address.

There is another couple from the Hamilton County area who are interested. Do you have room for two more?

1 Like

I now have a +1; my wine buddy who drinks all my BerserkerDay stuff with me.

1 Like

Yes. Bring them along!

Sounds good, @Patrick_Taylor. :+1:

With recent additions from @Franklin_R and @Patrick_Taylor, we’re up to 10 people, which is fantastic! But it also means that we’re probably at capacity.

I’d love for more people to join us, but that would probably mean relocating to Vine & Table in Carmel.

Sold out! Offer closed!

I agree that ten seems like a good number. More than that and one bottle of a particular wine will be inadequate.

Looking forward to it! Now it’s time to search the cellar. Will report back soon.

1 Like

My cellar is deepest with New World. Same for my friend Alex.

Same here as well. As I mentioned before, I’ve got the Matello Souris. For my second bottle, I’ve got options from Argentina and Australia that might be interesting.

@Franklin_R @Patrick_Taylor Do you or any of the people you invited have any dietary restrictions? (Vegan, food allergies, etc.) If you do, please let me know. Thanks.