Indianapolis Offline - Feb 1, 2024

No food restriction for us.

1 Like

Thanks for asking. No restrictions.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight. I am bringing a Pinot from California; my friend Alex is bringing one from Oregon.

My second wine will be a cool climate pinot from Argentina.

Thanks to everyone who attended our Indianapolis offline yesterday. It seemed like everyone had a good time, so Iā€™m going to chalk it up as a success. It was nice, especially, to finally meet @Patrick_Taylor who drove in from Western Indiana with his friend Alex.

The theme was ā€œPinot Noir from Around the Worldā€, and we ended up with an interesting selection. No one brought a Burgundy, and I think 5 of the 10 bottles were from Oregon. (As usual, I lacked the foresight to snap a photo of the wine lineup, but I know that @Franklin_R got one.) I had the dubious honor of bringing one of the groupā€™s favorite wines (a 2011 Matello ā€œSourisā€ from Willamette Valley) as well as one of the groupā€™s least favorite wines (a Manos Negras ā€œRed Soilā€ Select from Argentina). By the end of the night, not a drop was left of the Souris, but probably 3/4 of the Manos Negras remained. (The Manos Negras really wasnā€™t great. :joy:)

Two other wines that stood out for me was a Bergstrƶm that I thought was really nice, and a 2013 Pinot from California (sorry, canā€™t remember its name). This was the first Bergstrƶm Iā€™ve had, and it makes me want to seek out others in the future. I loved the California Pinot because it defied my expectations. Iā€™m used to California Pinots being big and jammy, and this definitely wasnā€™t. It was restrained with a nice balance of fruit and acidity, and it made me realize that I need to reexamine some biases.

Overall, I think everyone had a lot of fun, and everyone present agreed that we need to schedule another one soon!

1 Like

Yes, that was really fun!

The 2013 was from Occidental, and that was my fave of the night. It was really cool to compare it with the 2019 Kistler.

Re: Bergstrom, I think you mean Bjornson? (Bergstrom is also an Oregon producer but I donā€™t think anyone brought one.)

1 Like

Yes! I knew it started with an ā€œOā€, but I couldnā€™t remember the name.

Youā€™re probably right. Whatever that WV wine was that started with a ā€œBā€, it was a good one!

I really need to start taking photos so that I can remember what the heck I was drinking. :man_facepalming:

By the way, I stopped at Vine and Table in Carmel this afternoon. It was pretty picked over but there is still some good Champagne.

I drove by on Friday around lunchtime and it was a madhouse! The whole parking lot was full, as well as every parking space on both sides of the building. I decided that I didnā€™t need a bargain that badly and just kept driving.

Finally digging out from a busy weekā€¦

Thanks, Charlie, for hosting! We had a lot of fun. The format and wines were great, and it was especially nice meeting your wife and the other guests. Hereā€™s pic:

I really liked the Bjornson and Ponzi. The Matello had the best nose!

Looking forward to next time!

• Franklin
1 Like