IMHO - Burgundy 2020 & 2021

Oh yeah? Whose Bousselots do you like more? :joy:

Yeah, Chevillon is odd. Poster child for quality and value but I rarely get excited about opening one. And I own plenty!

They just need some more brightness IMO.

3 Likes

Yeah agree, to use a tired cliche they lack a certain je ne sais quoi :joy:

It’s like certain wines you drink and immediately go an order more, that’s never happened with chevillon. They’re always better then you expect but not so good to get you really going.

1 Like

Actually, I thought the 17’ Chevillon Cailles was a standout.
Makes sense: a cooler, more classic vintage (if we can even say that anymore) seems to have helped them make a glass that spoke of dark berries and stone fruits, balancing acid and tannic grip.

We had 07 Chevillon Cailles vs 07 Mugneret Gibourg Chaignots last year and everyone thought the Chevillon was better; it’s not that they’re not fantastic wines, they just weren’t that exciting; they were quite overshadowed by the 1er and GC Rousseau and several other wines.

Would be an interesting experiment to compare MG Chaignots to Chevillon Chaignots and Chaignots from some other producers.

I’m sure it’s been done; I thought there was one at this dinner but it was vaucrains. This is the most chevillon I’ve seen at one dinner, though.

We had the A-L Chaignots a couple of weeks ago and it was stunning. 2015.

Do you mean chaumes? I think they only make corvee pagets from NSG?

2 Likes

We had that also but I was thinking of Reignots.

Yeah it’s great too bad it’s like their second most expensive wine now.

Do you do you tastings blind?

No, it was a wine dinner.

Honestly I think everyone expected the MG to be better, and it was certainly good but I think ppl were surprised how good the chevillon was. There were actually 3 bottles of chevillon at the dinner.

I almost never taste blind except when we do it for fun, really don’t have much interest in it for routine drinking although I know some people really like it.

1 Like

If posted this on another thread a few days ago, but thought it may fit here, too.

Last week i conducted a tasting of 24 wines of vintage 2020, 12 Burgundies, 12 Rhones …
one of the (if not THE) vintage with the most intense and deepest fruit ever, but assisted by sound acidity and quite heavy tannins … which are almost burried beneath the immense fruit at the moment (but which most probably will force the wines to shut down in 1-2 years for quite a while, similar to the 2012s … at least that is my take …). The Burgundies also showed kind of an “international” character - which will step back with maturity and reveal the terroir more clearly with age, but if you are looking for transparency NOW … that´s the wrong vintage …
All in all very impressive, but patience needed for full enjoyment …
(all imho, of course)<

I´ve not tasted a great number of 2021s due to harvest time, but those (red) are much more classic than 2020, less ripe, less voluptuous with less sweet tannins, somtimes a bit try tannins, quite noticible acidity, much more transparent reg. terroir in the youth, somewhere between ´13 and ´14 in style with hints of 1998 … (yes, sometimes a bit of green components from not perfect ripeness) … I´ve also tasted wines lacking a bit in concentration and mid-palate … but there are also very fine efforts.
The vintage may please those who dislike the “modern” ripe hot and jammy vintages like 15, 16, 18, 19 … :innocent:

3 Likes

I had an experience with the 2009 Chevillon Vaucrains where it definitely had that extra gear and I was inspired to go out and grab more. Something about the combination of 2009 fruit and that Chevillon acidic edge just hit perfectly. With that said the one or two subsequent bottles I had have not been as spectacular, although they’ve been very good. Hopefully one of my remaining stash will be another home run.

Not sure I’d characterize 16 as hot and jammy.

2 Likes

Had a similar thought–there is a purity of fruit, but the wines are not hot and jammy

Orange is good so say the orange grower;
Apple is better so say the apply grower;
No offence is intended.
I agree that vintage 15 and also vintage .16 should be not characterized as hot and jammy.
I did not buy any 2020 red as i characterized it - in general - as a hot and jammy vintage.
BUT than again producers is always the key for me…

1 Like

'09 Chevillon LSG is an amazing wine.

1 Like

That is - in general - incorrect and misleading for others …
I´m quite sure you will regret that … and revise that with time …
(but this all is not my problem …)

1 Like

Thanks for your advice…Gerhard …and since it is from your, I will take it.

Most likely you will be right as my preferred producers will adjust …and doubtful they will make overripe and jammy wines. BUT the 2020s are pricey and most of them are on a lottery system in Quebec, Canada…

1 Like