IMHO - Burgundy 2020 & 2021

Any thoughts on ‘14?

3 Likes

Haven’t tried it. I’m confident it’s great.

2 Likes

Peter,
I´m sure the good 2020s will mature fine, they have already developed from cask to bottle showing more structure, but patience is still required …
Prices are another matter … cause for concern is that at some domaines even the release-prices have skyrocked … unusual until 2018/19 … :sob:
(and I don´t have a money-shitting donkey …)

Super tight last time I had it (2020 fwiw), a bruiser.

1 Like

Yes - beside the price increase, the available bottles are very limited.

Hard time for burgundy lovers…

Now that would come in handy!

2 Likes

And some serious money laundering necessary!

1 Like

I am happy that re-reading my post, I feel like I was pretty accurate and I am so glad to have seen so many responses and reactions to it. I hope it helped many of you in your buying decisions.

Cheers!!!

2 Likes

This hits the nail on the head for me. The word that I use to describe the '21 Reds charming. Built on a lighter frame, but well built and just so approachable and open right now. Had the Magnien GC VV last night and it has all the approachableness we typically find in '17 but in a higher acid, more charming package.

2 Likes

21 Bertheau amoureuses seems like a good buy

Having had quite a bit of 2021 from barrel and a few from bottle, I think it’s an interesting vintage in that while it will have a fairly consistent vintage characteristic, the wines across different producers will be quite different. Some producers made great reds in 21s, others didn’t. In some cases, the cuvees were inconsistent across the same producer. It will definitely be an early maturing vintage though - one producer called it a “good restaurant vintage”, and they are, to an extent, happy the wines being drunk in restaurants in their youth aren’t really a waste. With a few notable exceptions, I don’t think it’s a vintage I would chase especially hard.

I think it’s not a very good white vintage, though there will obviously be exceptions. I think 2020 may end up being the best white vintage of this century - if only there was more of it. Magical wines.

i’ve seen this comment more and more lately from trusted sources. for my palate 2017 seems (seemed?) to have it all - how would you articulate the differences between 2017 and 2020? (there still seems to be a bunch of qpr stuff out there so eager to have some)

It has considerably more density and weight on the palate than 2017.

3 Likes

When I was in France a few weeks ago, I tasted several 2021 reds. After tasting a range of 2022 barrel samples at Rossignol-Trapet, we tasted a 2021 Chapelle Chambertin. This is always a really good wine from Rossignol-Trapet and this wine was no exception. The 2022s at RT were very rich but still with nice acidity and freshness, but the 2021 Chapelle was a completely different wine. It had a wonderful combination of fruit and acidity that was very compelling. I cannot say which will be better between the 2021 and 2022 Chapelle Chambertins there, but my guess is that they will always be different. If you like modern vintages of Burgundy, probably buy the 2022. If you want something that is a throwback, buy the 2021. But, if you want an interesting comparison in about 15 years, buy both. The 2021 was rated 95+ by Gilman.

We tasted a range of 2021s at Domaine Amiot et Fils. I really enjoyed these wines. They had a wonderful combination of richness, freshness and affordability. Excellent wines that I thought were better than wines I have had at its predecessor estate - and I have enjoyed those. Don’t know how much is the vintage and how much is the presence of new blood at the winery in the person of Leon Amiot.

Based on a fairly limited sample, I am bullish on 2021 reds (I did not taste any whites). Also, based on my tastings of a number of vintages with good acidity in Burgundy (the most recent example was 2017), don’t be surprised if these wines pick up more weight in about a year or so. We will see.

6 Likes