IMHO - Burgundy 2020 & 2021

Or just a good vintage with a normal size crop, like 2022.

You bring up an excellent point though, and is part of a discussion I’ve been having with a number of people.

Since they aren’t making any more of the great wines, and the demand just goes up and up, the allocations are ever more fractured around the world. Getting a solid 6 pack of say Rousseau Clos de Beze means more than ever now. So many folks are lucky to get a bottle or 2, but who’s really getting a six pack? I’m not talking about the Looney Tunes second market pricing for a six pack (I saw 2020 Beze out there for like $8000USD a bottle), but talking about from the importer at a normal price.

1 Like

The guy selling for $8k got the 6 pack at the normal price. But that’s a big part of the problem. So many of the people getting allocation pricing at quantity are flippers. It’s like the Screagle list. And if they weren’t flippers originally, they turn into such when they realize they can sell a fraction of their cellar for a huge increase. A very small number are collecting and drinking the stuff. I’m thankful to dine with some of them on occasion because that’s the only way to get access to some of these bottles anymore. It would be interesting to see in a hypothetical world how the market changed if when you bought at allocation pricing, you committed to drinking every bottle.

That was $8000…per bottle.

And? Is that supposed to shock me or something? I get ridiculous offers every day from brokers.

2 Likes

No, but my point is that over paying for Rousseau Beze this early is kind of crazy, no?

1 Like

I mean, it just depends how much money you have I guess. I imagine wine buyers for HNWI may have multimillion dollar annual budgets, 48k is a rounding error.

yeah, but you can buy 2017 at retail for less than half that.

You can buy 2019 for half that which is likely just as good. Again, not saying it’s a good deal but if it’s not a lot of money to you then who cares? That’s like saying buying a soda at a ball game is a bad deal compared to Costco. Of course we know it is, but may not care.

1 Like

Funny, the richest person I have ever known personally, who was a lover of luxury goods of many sorts, often said “price always matters.”

2 Likes

Right and you could make the argument that they didn’t get rich by wasting money, but they also may not be the person doing the buying.

1 Like

2020 Chevillon LSG for $300. It was a good wine at $100. I think there’s just going to continue to be a wider and wider disconnect between expectations and realities with the new market. People looking for “nice” bottles of Burg at $75-150 are going to be buying AOC wines and continue to be disappointed.

2 Likes

Getting back to topic, likely previously mentioned, this may be helpful: https://oldvinenotes.com/

1 Like

That’s one price. I saw it elsewhere for less, and I’m sure they are speculating

2 Likes

Nah. You can still buy the best wines from the top producers in the Beaune for that range. You might not be able to get the blue chip wines from Nuits, but you can still do pretty well for $100-$150.

2 Likes

Me as well, and he settled for a bottle of Malbec for $15.99 :wink:

Today, but I’m talking about the not so distant future as things continue to move in that direction.

2 Likes

I think 2020 Chevillon LSG was offered for about $225. I don’t remember when was the last time this wine was $100 tbh.

I bought 2017 for under 90€.

1 Like

I mean, in US.

1 Like

Chevillon is one of those wines which is always much better than you think it should be but not the best expression of any vineyard (except maybe cailles).

2 Likes