I guess it's official now (ESJ)

After chatting with Steve over the past year, I’m not surprised. It’s the end of an era. Here’s the opening part of the homage on Chambers St. website:

We have been big fans of Steve Edmunds, one of the original “Rhone Rangers” of California, since we opened Chambers Street Wines (and before that too). This year we were informed that Steve would be retiring at the ripe age of [none of ya business!]. We’re happy for him, as we know the work can get grueling when you are as dedicated to making terroir-expressive wines as he has been throughout his life.

Wow, no emoji is adequate for that news. End of an era and a big loss for those who love his wine (and those who haven’t had a chance to fall in love yet, too), but I hope it means a long and happy retirement for Steve, full of family, friends, music, and the enjoyment of the fruits of other people’s winemaking labors.

Congrats Steve!
Maybe you should start a band.

1 Like

Bummer. What a wonderful, thoughtful guy.

Seeing the prices these older bottles are commanding, you realize how much more he could have asked for his wines over the years if he’d been mercenary. But that he was not.

Sad to hear that as his wines were some of my first forays into Syrah.

Clicked the link hoping for a Rosenblum esque cellar clear out. I hope Chambers gave him a boat load of coin for those asking prices :flushed:

Lot of it dropped in NY the last few months at Parcelle and Leon and Son’s at the very least. Happy for Steve, and I’ll be sure to get stingy with the bit of the old bottles I have remaining

Yeah, same here. I dole out my bottles from the 90s. I still shake my head at the deals I got from Courtier several months ago.

1 Like

I figured this was coming, and wish Steve the best in his retirement.

Lots of memories around these wines, back to Thor Iverson bringing a bottle of Pink Froid (I think that’s how it was spelled) to our house. IIRC it was a Rosé of Nebbiolo. Then there was an amazing mag of '93 Durrell at a massive offline in New Jersey (name of the restaurant is escaping me right now, but it was up near the Meadowlands). An evening in maybe 2006 or so at a wildly noisy restaurant in Boston where I sat next to Steve, and we still basically had to pantomime our conversation because it was so damned loud. And of course the broad tasting at John Gilman’s as part of his prep for an article on Steve’s wines. And on and on and on…

I only sold Steve fruit once…and I blew it! Fruit was too ripe for Steve’s liking but he did what he could. Cheers Steve, welcome to the club!

The best domestic Roussanne I have tasted were Steve’s from Tablas Creek grapes.

was that what was labeled “the shadow”

I think it was the Redneck 101, or perhaps the Cuvee Fairbairn.

1 Like

It was Redneck. I still have a couple of bottles. It turned out to be a very nice wine!

1 Like

Same here. I should dig one out.

Tonight

2 Likes

Baller!

I always wondered what loophole in the ATF rules allowed Steve to put things like this on his labels. Does anyone know? It seems like it’s always a bonded winery name or some company.

I was fortunate to interview and get to know Steve when I was writing with the Gang of Pour.

This is a link to my favorite session with him. It is quintessential Steve.

3 Likes

Allan, thanks for posting that. I’ve never seen this interview until now! I can hear Steve’s voice in my mind while I read his replies.

There’s also a Levi Dalton “I’ll Drink to That” podcast interview with Steve out there in cyberspace.

1 Like