I guess it's official now (ESJ)

Steve’s been an inspiration to me, happy for him he’s retiring with zip on the fastball. Sad for the end of an era and a production that gave us so many fine wines.

4 Likes

Hats off to a great wine maker and a great career. I recall first reading about his wines in a Parker book in the mid-90s and I promptly bought some Durell syrahs and cotes sauvages.

I attended a dinner a number of years back with Steve and Bob Lindquist aptly named the ‘Woodshed’ dinner by @TomHill, and I’m sure Tom will pipe in with additional info, but Steve was simply a walking encyclopedia about the CA Rhone movement - in his very modest way. And his wines that night were stupendous.

He certainly will be missed (ie not making any new wines) , but luckily there are plenty of how wines still out there. And the Rhone Rangers will be honoring him with a Lifetime Achievement Award this June at a dinner at the Girl and A Fig’s extra spot in the downtown Sonoma Square. I’m hoping he’ll bring an oldie or two to share . . .

Cheers

2 Likes

No one more deserving!

1 Like

Article by Esther Mobley in today’s Chron.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/wine/article/edmunds-st-john-winery-19381393.php?fbclid=IwAR350MLOuyrU6DaMVblgi8ki_M-v-0yPdcWX4P6oF6Q9kKBbXXhsxB_S5C4_aem_ATagyu0lJSab77OyyJX1oejtP3br17A67ZN3inwFdBUfhOo094T2XbYQi_gndqfjwpc&utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=copy-url-link&utm_campaign=article-share&hash=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2ZjaHJvbmljbGUuY29tL2Zvb2Qvd2luZS9hcnRpY2xlL2VkbXVuZHMtc3Qtam9obi13aW5lcnktMTkzODEzOTMucGhw&time=MTcxMjI0MzM4MzUwMg%3D%3D&rid=OTkwYTg1ZjMtMDhhOC00NDExLWE3OWUtYzZmNGNmOTA4ZjYw&sharecount=MA%3D%3D#

1 Like

It truly is sad to see him no longer making wine - but he seemed to truly enjoy what he did for as long as he did . . . which is a rarity in the wine world. I’m looking forward to hanging with him at that Rhone Rangers dinner - and luckily I took part in a library sale he did awhile back and have some older wines to open and toast him with . . .

Cheers

Casey, I bought wine from you for several years, and we even did a special bottling of Eaglepoint Fruit called Redneck 101 with the highway sign on the label. How quickly they forget :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Be well, my friend

Steve

2 Likes

I’m just a little sneaky dude, John; a Merry Prankster :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

So looking forward to help ‘celebrate’ you in June, my friend . . .

Cheers

God bless you my friend. I hope the future brings happiness!

Bryan Harrington wrote me “Best compliment you can give to an artist is to say “He was a painter’s painter.”

Steve was a winemaker’s winemaker.”

3 Likes

Some of my favorite wines ever. I think a real influence on a younger generation of winemakers as well.

1 Like