How many white Burgundy drinkers have stopped or seriously reduced purchases of it?

How many white Burgundy drinkers have reduced purchases of it cos of premox?

• I have stopped buying period.
  • I am buying 70-100% of what I used to buy.
  • I am buying 50-70%
  • I am buying less than 50%.
  • I never bought white Burgundy pre Premox

0 voters

This is a premox question only, and the effects of whether you have changed your buying habits because of it. If you are buying less or none, what have you switched to?

I still like white Burgundies, but premox has seriously changed the way I am approaching it. Right now, I am buying little and trying to drink down what I have. In the future, I plan to buy more village level wines and drink them younger. I am not sure the point of buying very expensive Burgundies and drinking them young and it is playing roulette to buy very expensive Burgundies and age them. Village wines probably taste more open young anyway.

Flawed poll.

I have never purchased White Burgs, and have no intention to start. neener neener

Recent bottles opened

1999 Bonneau du Martray CC probable premox/possible cork issue

1999 Drouhin Montrachet probable premox

1999 Henri Boillot P-M Clos de la Mouchère probable premox

Hmmm; unlucky with the year?

All bought on release and stored well, the Boillot was acquired at the estate.

[head-bang.gif]

Not buying anything more for a while, I’ll drink through the rest of my stash over the next year or so and see what happens.

Then you take the last option [tease.gif]

I guess you were bored and posted on this thread for what reason? To be obnoxious?

I am purchasing more bottles, but staying away from the GCs and drinking earlier. Based on wine board feedback you would think that sales had fallen through the floor, yet prices on current releases don’t seem to be effected at all.

Dan - the quantities are low so there will always be people who either don’t know of the issue or are foolish enough to believe they’re special.

I buy zero white burg. I like other wines as well for short term drinking and as I’ve said before, I’m not giving money to people who have screwed me over and refuse to make it right.

I didn’t buy much before the premox scare…now I buy zero. The benefits are simply not worth the potential cost to me at this point. I’d rather drink champagne if I want a white wine anyway!

I am buying and selling the same amount of White Burgundy as previous years.

Has anyone tried to return a premoxed bottle to the store/distributor/importer or winery?
If so, how did it go?

Which producers have shown to be the least affected by pre-mox?
I’ve read Leflaive and I’ve had some nice 99/00’s from them that have no signs of oxidation. Any other producers?

White burgundy is a favorite wine of ours. However, we have cut our buying back. There are still a few domaines where I have had good fortune and I continue to buy those domaines. Other estates I have cut out completely.

I will generally buy some for relatively short term consumption, just to get a peek at vintages. I see nothing to suggest the problem has been addressed, or the cause of the problem identified, so caution remains the watchword.

Don’t recall ever returning a bottle and I think the producers have been woefully inadequate in being fair to long time fans of their domaines.

I’ve stopped buying GCs and 1ers completely unless at absolute bargain basement prices. I buy village wines for consumption in the first 3 years and the rest of my dry white wine budget has gone to german rieslings.

White Burgundy is probably my favorite wine, but my purchase has dropped off really radically (maybe 10% of what I used to buy).

Like Dan, that part of my budget now goes to German Riesling, and Loire whites as well.

Cheers,
-Robert

I just avoid the producers that had issues unless I hear/try otherwise.

My buying is actually up b/c I have found a much more fond appreciation for it at this stage in my life.

I returned premoxed 01 Jadot Louis Jadot Chevalier-Montrachet Les Demoiselles to Zachy’s
they replaced it with another bottle also oxidized. Credit was given.

Brett Favre.

Credit for the second pemoxed bottle?

I had to mark the last category as I’ve only been buying for <10 years and have minimal experience with fully mature white Burgs. However, I’m mostly interested in Chablis anyway. Drink much of it young while saving just a few back for longer term aging taking the chance they could be shot. In some ways, I consider myself lucky I don’t know what I’m missing.