Have others noticed a significant uptick in Guigal?

I’m sure here this is nothing new, but I feel like I see this everywhere now. Is this the sign of the times where consumers are looking for wines at this price point? People shopping in this price range I’ve often recommended Telegramme because it’s widely available.

Can you expand on your comment a bit? Guigal has a big lineup that stretches from CdR white and red for like 15 bucks up to sevral hundred a bottle for their northern rhone specialities.

1 Like

I assume you’re not talking about the Cotes du Rhone, which I saw this week for $14 – about the same price as it was 20 years ago.

Crazy things are happening at the high end of the market. I got an offering this week of Burlotto Barolos and was dumbfounded by prices. Their Monvigliero went through the roof after Galloni gave the '13 100 points. But now the Acclivi is going for $180-$230 a bottle and the Cannubi for about $400. I paid $50 for the 2004 Cannubi.

I paid about the same for the 04 Monvig!!

Even the entry tier Burlotto wines seem to have exploded in price. Nice wines, the LN, Pelaverga and Barbera Aves, but I’m seeing prices at 1.5-2x a couple of years ago and definitely not buying at those prices.

Have others noticed a significant uptick in Burlotto?

Maybe I’m just noticing it more… I see it in wine magazines, store shelves, etc.

A big article on WS magazine was the thing that made me think… hmm I’ve been seeing it more.

1 Like

not the CdR’s but the higher end wines.

How much was the Monvigliero offered at?

$449 for the 2019.

Yes, I noticed the other day at Bottle King in NJ, which discounts heavily, that both Burlotto barberas and their dolcetto were really getting up there: $35 for the Aves and $27 for the regular barbera and the dolcetto.

1 Like

Since you brought it up, do you have a few examples?

Yup… someone is making a killing there and it isn’t Burlotto.

I saw Guigal’s Brune et Blonde at a Costco, which I have not seen in some time. Prices were higher than I recall, but to be fair I have not bought that bottling since 2003 and 2010.

And there is no reason to now.

$50 is not enough to fetch many base barolo these days, and even langhe and freisa for top producers! Some of the strongest values of the vintages also seem to be $80-100 wines (I am thinking about 2016 Vajra BdV and 2019 Baudana Cerretta - interesting two Vajras!) with many other crus $100+ (Brovia, Cavallotto and even Cogno now). And Burlotto is doing really well, some have told me the Monvigliero is the most collectible wine put of the region (and if not true, its up there). I myself have found Burlotto to be more consistent than other top producers with cleaner wines (less VA). Given the 2016 Monvigliero I think traded many times in UK for $750-800 at peak, its not too crazy (for me) to see it for $350 in a strong but lesser vintage, or for the Acclivi to be half that price. That’s also compared against other top producers who are consistently $300+ now for the top wines (Rinaldi, Bartolo, Conterno etc., interesting to see Cappellano pricing come down a bit). So in that relative context, where do folks think the Burlotto wines should be trading for today? What is “fair price” for the langhe, base, acclivi and monvigliero (I leave out Cannubi because it is so wonky) relative to the other top echelon of producers in the langhe?

PS I am not justifying or buying many of these wines (unfortunate to see the Langhe at $40+, or just so many $300+ prices), just curious what pricing should be versus other top producers?

Forgot to mention that I saw Guigal’s regular rouge St Joe at Costco a while ago for $20, on death star closeout. Bought one.