Greer Cab 2018

Perfect! Just signed up for the mailing list [cheers.gif]

Aaron Pott is the winemaker. Rob is a great guy. Wine is incredible. Location: Rutherford all the way. In the same neighborhood as Scarecrow (JJ Cohn Estate) and next door to Rubicon Estate and Joseph Phelps. Decided to venture out and try a 2016 for Thanksgiving last year, decanted for 6hrs, and good lord that wine was good! and for the price ($175) you really can’t beat it.
IMG_4376.jpeg

PLUS 1!

Perfect I appreciate the recommendations!

The 2016 Greer is one of the best wines I’ve had in recent years (gotta give her ample time in the decanter though)…

Two weeks ago I opened a 2014 Greer, along with a 2014 Maybach, and a 2014 MacDonald. The Greer drank really well, but I’d recommend a fairly long decant if you are opening one now.

1 Like

When did they offer the 18 mags?

May of 2020 ?

My mag just arrived.

Got it. I’m rather new to the list and was offered the 17s this past Fall. There was a disconnect in my head on their offering schedule. If i’m in line for the 750s, i’m good to go. [cheers.gif]

That’s what they had signaled to me when I asked

How’d you rank these 3? Curious how they compared

1 Like

Of the three, the Maybach was the runaway favorite of the group. It is a big wine and has a long future ahead of it, but it is drinking well now. I really enjoyed the Greer, but I think it needs a couple of more years to hit its prime. Sadly the MacDonald was corked, and that is actually the first one I’ve opened, so I can’t be helpful there.

1 Like

Well darn, not a fair comparison. Appreciate the thoughts!

I have not had a Greer, but signed up for the list after hearing good things about it on this site. I just got an email telling me the 2018 750’s will be offered next week. At this price point, I’m hopeful that someone can offer up a comparison to other Napa wines I may have had? Or maybe a general description of what a person might expect when in the glass? More akin to Monto Bello or Hillside Select, or Peter Michael, Dominus??

FWIW: I think closer to Shafer HSS. That said, I have not had much, if any, of the others, but have had a number of Greers and Shafer HSS.

1 Like

I would concur with SHS. It is definitely not a Bordeaux look a like like Dominus. But not overly big and ripe like many other Napa cabs, tends to be more red fruited with plenty of savoriness. Great tannin managment. Aaron Pott is the right person for this plot.

2 Likes

im passing on this if anyone is interested please PM. thanks

I could see it being likened to SHS. I agree that it’s more red fruited than blue/purple/black fruited, and that there is a slight savory/herbal note. Tannins are there but so fine and silky (at least in the 2016 that I recently had). It’s Rutherford for sure, great winemaking by Aaron and Rob and his staff are easy to work with!

If you’ve not had it before, and are ok with the price, the quality is certainly there. I would suggest a decant, length of decant dependent on the vintage. Rob has good suggestions, and will probably be able to advise if you wanted to open a 2018 after shipment.

1 Like

Well it’s neighbors are insignia (components), Scarecrow, inglenook. So similar fruit profiles.

I think it is more of that valley floor as opposed to SHS. Good comparison is Maybe VHR. By the way, tasted the 2018 and I thought it was incredible. Good bright fruit, good structure and a hint of that famed dust. Was right there with the best wines of the week during our Napa trip last month. I am a sucker for western benchlands. Anything tokalon, blankiet, VHR, W and M, Detert, dominus, Etc. Greer is upto the task in that group.

1 Like