"Got to try before I die" Napa Cabs

Title says it all. What are your Napa cabs you’ve got to try in this lifetime? For me the first names that jump out are 2013 Abreu Thorevilos and 1992 Harlan Estate, Thorevilos for the sheer power and perfection and Harlan for the complexity, unity and bravado.

Also up there for me is a 2013 Realm Bard and Absurd, screagle (to see what I’m missing out on by proclaiming its probably overhyped) and 21 Bella Oaks.

What are yours/had been yours before you decided life’s too short to keep waiting?

2 Likes

Try some older vintages from the ‘70’s or ‘80’s. Mondavi, Phelps Insignia, or BV GDL

7 Likes

'58 BV for sure!

4 Likes

We had the '69 last year in Charleston–magical.

One day, I hope to try the 2016 Kinsman-Eades Rhadamanthus. Also a 70s Diamond Creek cab - everyone name-checks those, and I want to see what the fuss is all about!

5 Likes

Any Corison Kronos Vineyard with 20+ years on it.

2 Likes

2005 Araujo — perhaps by favorite, had twice
Older Montelena, Mondavi, and Spottswoode

1 Like

Find some '78 Diamond Creeks specifically, spectacular wines.

For me it would be '71 Ridge Eisele

7 Likes

Gotta be the 1969 Chappellet Cabernet, right?

8 Likes

I had a bottle of the 2016 Rhad about three years ago, and I still think about how delicious it was…

4 Likes

I’d like to try a Screagle in a good year to see what that’s like…if someone else was buying.

just had this last week.

1978 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard.

5 Likes

Definitely a unicorn wine!

I’d love to try the Ridge Eisele

1 Like

MacDonald.

7 Likes

2023 Jasud Own Rooted
2019 Jasud with 25 years of age

And

78 Diamon Creek Lake.

2 Likes

I would love that if for no other reason than I would still be alive and able to drink wine

3 Likes

1974 Heitz Martha’s.

5 Likes

The ‘74 Heitz Martha’s was going to be my #1 pick. I’ll add the 1991 Montelena Estate which is a somewhat more recent classic.

It also doesn’t necessarily need to be restricted to a specific vintage of a given wine. Eras make more sense IMO.

2 Likes