"Got to try before I die" Napa Cabs

74 Heitz Marthas was my bucket lister…had it, and it delivered! So…I guess the 92 Screagle…41 Inglenook…and need to know WHY peeps paying $16k for 69 Chappellet?!?

2 Likes

Wonder when those 19s get sold. They’re gonna live forever.

23 Own Rooted is special juice.

3 Likes

For years I suffered from wine bucket list fever. There were maybe thirty wines that I wanted to try and pursued them hard. Petrus 1961, Cheval 1947, Nacional 1963, Roumier Musigny, DRCs etc. Easy; as the wines were,if not plentiful, nowhere near as rare and costly as they are in the current boom.

Now there remains but one, La Tache 1962. But thinking back, only a few wines were truly memorable, the 1961 Hermitage Chapelle 1961, when the world stopped for a moment and the La Mission 1955 with its overwhelming complexity, my wine kryptonite. And one other; the 1947 Cheval which others loved and I found almost undrinkable.

My point is that it’s all very well to try and list the wines you long to try, but it’s amazing how quickly they are forgotten, once the hunt is over.

5 Likes

Not hunting them but would love to try 1974 Martha’s and 1978 Diamond Creek Lake along with a 1970s Phelps Eisele.

4 Likes

I’ll sell you one of my KE Rhad at original list cost but I don’t have any '16s. I have 19 and waiting on 21’s if you’re interested, if either checks off that bucket list for you.

My “try before I die” has always 100% been 1974 Heitz Martha’s but at the price they’re going for now, I’m out.

4 Likes

1974 Heitz Martha’s, just for a bucket list tick box.

But let’s face it, most unicorn wines aren’t really enjoyable these days. Maybe you hit that high one bottle out of ten, but chasing them, well, it’s not for me.

3 Likes

Parable.

1 Like

Let me second the 1978 Diamond Creek single vineyards. I have had the Red Rock Terrace and the Volcanic Hill and they are maybe the best CA cabs I have ever tasted.

6 Likes

I have some 70s Eisele, lmk if you are ever in the mid-Atlantic.

2 Likes

Appreciate it Karl, I’ll certainly be in MD/DC this year for work along with NY/NJ.

I love the Phelps Eisele, bur never had any from the 70s. I bet they are excellent.

Here, hold my beer while I land this copter!

1997 Bryant🍷

2 Likes

Great choice!

1973 (birth year) and 1974 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard

this. I’ve had it once, absolutely incredible.

3 Likes

74 birth year. I won’t be buying any Martha’s but this week will be opening a(nother) 1974 Clos du Val I scored for dirt cheap in a lot on Craigslist of all places. The first bottle was great.

2 Likes

Man, im so jealous!! What an experience! Do you recall when you tried it (i.e. what year)?

1974 Mayacamas
1994 Montelena Estate
1997 Lokoya (all)
2008 Greer
2009 Dalla Valle Maya
2018 Kinsman Rhadamanthus

I can probably find my notes, but I am thinking right around 2008(ish?). A wine group I managed in the Bay Area with a VERY generous co-founder :slight_smile: