Favorite All Purpose Seasoning

I grew up in Los Angeles, so all my life I’ve been a loyal customer who never strayed far from Lawrys.

But recently I discovered another local product. Great seasonings made in Tacoma, WA. Johnnies.

Johnnys contains MSG and Lawrys does not. But the ingredients in Johnnys are much simpler (and no sugar):

Sea salt, MSG, Pepper, Paprika, Garlic, Spices.

Lawrys ingredients:

Salt, sugar, spices (including paprika and tumeric), onion, cornstarch, garlic, tricalcium phosphate, natural flavor, paprika oleoresin.

What other great all purpose seasonings are you using?

Old Bay
Penzy’s makes some nice blends that I’ve worked through - especially a chicago pork blend called Krakow, IIRC.
Good friend and board member, George Hejna, can’t do MSG so I’ve removed it from my stable of spices. Though Johnny’s Dock is a nice product for fish.

I’ve ranted about this before. 35 years ago Lawry’s seasoned salt contained MSG. There was nothing, I mean nothing on the market that could compare to that seasoning. I still use Lawry’s seasoned salt and seasoned pepper, but they just aren’t as good as they were when they had MSG. Several months ago, I e-mailed Lawry’s and asked if they would tell me how much MSG to add to a 12 ounce bottle to duplicate their original recipe. They replied that they didn’t have that information.

I’m thinking I’ll look for some Johnny’s here in Napa.

WTF I found some:

Original Johnny’s Seasoning Salt 1lb Jar (03-0429)
by Johnny’s Fine Foods
Be the first to review this item | Like (0)
List Price: $60.30
Price: $47.54
You Save: $12.76 (21%)
In stock.
Processing takes an additional 2 to 3 days for orders from this seller.
Ships from and sold by ReStockIt.

Lately…

I have been messing around with Penzeys: Arizona Dreaming- ground ancho, onion, garlic, paprika, citric acid, lemon peel, chipolte pepper, red pepper, jalapeno, cocoa, and natural smoke seasoning

and I like Montreal seasoning too

This is labeled salt free . Yeah I tweek it a bit!!

I like this on a wide range of things:

http://shopping.nosoc.com/browseproducts/21-oz-Joe’s-Stuff.HTML

It works well even of stuff that is not blackened, like homefries, etc.

The hot version is good too.

Salt. [snort.gif]

What he said. But other than salt and pepper, I’ve become very fond of shichimi, a red pepper-based Japanese spice mix.

Lawry’s is great!

Also a fan of:

Great on pretty much any meat, creole dishes, and on grilled corn cob with lime juice.

Montreal seasoning

+1, and the reduced salt version as well. We do keep one or two other seasoning blends around, but we use these more than anything else.

I love you. flirtysmile

George

Dave,
Johnnys also makes a no added MSG seasoning salt.I used to use it on everything, but nowadays only on popcorn flirtysmile

Ooo, I remember this amazing pepper grinder (I think it was under $70) that had chocolate, red pepper and black peppercorns in it. I wish that I had some more of that!

Old Bay

Cooking Sherry!

That’s about it.

second-favorite:

It’s not actually hot, although they’d like you to believe it is. Goes great on potatoes of all kinds, vegetables, pork, chicken … almost anything.

currently, cannot recall the name of my favorite, as I had to get rid of all my seasonings before moving a few months ago. Will post again if it pops into my brain.

ok … after more searching, I think this might be my favorite (if it is, then they’ve changed their packaging):

OK, now my day can go on. The Everglades Heat seasoning I posted above is my favorite, and they have changed their packaging. This is the packaging I’m used to:

Crazy Jane’s Mixed up Salt and Mixed up Pepper

This is so touching [thumbs-up.gif]

Penzy’s Shallot Pepper.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysshallotpepp.html

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but why not make your own? I grind fresh white and red peppercorns with cumin seeds and then blend in paprika, powdered onion and garlic, a bit of dried thyme, and some fresh rosemary when I am using it right away. I adjust between them based upon what I am using it for.