EXTENDED TO 1/30 **NEW RAFFLE** Vin Fraîche • *NEWBIE* • Napa, Oregon, Italy • Single Vineyard Passion Projects from former Screaming Eagle/Bryant Winemaker Marc Gagnon

HAPPY BD! We’ve got 4 offers for our first BD + $15 flat rate shipping!
Cannot ship to: AL, AK, DE, IN, HI, KY, ME, MS, NH, ND, OK, RI, SD, UT, WY
If you’re in one of those states, PM and we’ll figure something out.

RAFFLE UPDATE

Alright, you all have been so amazing these past two days! I want to have some fun and thank you all, so I just decided to take the 2 magnums that are on my desk and raffle them BOTH to one lucky purchaser! 1 2019 SOM L.S. Vineyard Pinot Noir 1.5L and 1 2019 SOM L.S. Vineyard Chardonnay 1.5L

We decided to participate for the first time in BD to get some new exposure to our wines with true enthusiasts and I am SO glad we did! You all have made it such a fun experience!

Who are these guys?!

Vin Fraîche is a collection of wineries created by best friends Marc Gagnon and Michael Kennedy. Marc was the former winemaker for cult wineries Screaming Eagle and Bryant Family in Napa (garnering a slew of 100-pointers) and Michael was the Sommelier for 3-star Michelin Chef Eric Ripert. They both left their positions to start Vin Fraîche in order to spread their wings and have 100% creative control over their work. I’ve also heard Marc say he was tired of all the helicopter landings at the Screagle estate…

“Gagnon and Kennedy are explorers. They seek out history in the vineyards they work with and skillfully coax wonders out of American ancient vines.” Keith Beavers, Vinepair

“Sommelier/winemaker Michael Kennedy turns supporting-cast Bordeaux varieties like Petit Verdot into top-of-the-marquee stars.” - Ian Coble, Master Sommelier

We now have Component Wine Company and Gagnon-Kennedy Vineyards based in Napa (Visit us in Coombsville!), SOM Wines in the Pacific Northwest, and La Caccia di San Giovanni in Tuscany. Everything is incredibly small production (Some bottlings are just 25cs). We work with incredible vineyards and growers like the Beckstoffers, the Old Federal Block of To Kalon, Brenae Royal at Monte Rosso Vineyard, Daniel LLose & Eric Boissenot at Lynch-Bages, and Larry Stone & Dominique Lafon at the LS Vineyard in Oregon. And we’ve just been honored by VinePair with the inclusion of TWO of our wines on their Top 50 Wines of 2022: The 2019 Component 100% Petit Verdot (#19) and 2020 Gagnon-Kennedy Monte Rosso Vineyard Zinfandel (#6).

SOM Wines - OR, WA, and Napa (L.S. Vineyard of Lingua Franca, Zillah Ranch Vineyard in Rattlesnake Hills WA, and Caldwell Vineyard in Coombsville)
La Caccia di San Giovanni - Casole d’Elsa, Tuscany, IT (Estate Vineyard)
Gagnon-Kennedy Vineyards - Napa and Sonoma (Beckstoffer Georges III & Missouri Hopper, Samuel Brannan in Calistoga, Old Federal Block of To Kalon, Monte Rosso Vineyard on Moon Mountin in Sonoma)
Component Wine Company - Napa, Bordeaux, and Provence (Caldwell Vineyard, Seavey Vineyard, Hendry Vineyard, Monte Rosso Vineyard, Farfall Vineyard, 3 Single Vineyard sites in Bordeaux w/ Chateau Lynch-Bages, Biodynamic vineyard in Saint-Tropez, Provence)

For our inaugural Berserker Day, we have three packages:

SOM Wines L.S. Vineyard Oregon Pack | 20-25% off + $15 flat rate shipping

From the estate vineyard of our great friends at Lingua Franca in Oregon:

• 2019 L.S. Vineyard Chardonnay
    400 case production, 13%
  • 2019 L.S. Vineyard Pinot Noir
    300 case production, 13%

The stunning 2019 L.S. Vineyard Chardonnay from the Eola-Amity Hills is a bright juxtaposition of styles. On one hand, the wine is lean and has a fresh grip on the palate, on the other, it is soft and gentle with soft oak tones. Expect a palate that is juicy with crisp apples & citrus, while aromatically it offers a salty earth component as well. The 2019 L.S. Vineyard Pinot Noir is a multi-block selection from the Lingua Franca’s organic estate containing roughly 22% whole cluster bunches. Naturally fermented in a combination of concrete, puncheon and large oak fermenters, this wine has super vibrant fruit, big florals, and that hint of earth you love from Willamette Valley PN.

2-pack (1 each): $150 regular, $120 BD PURCHASE
6-pack (3 each): $450 regular, $338 BD (extra -5%) PURCHASE

La Caccia di San Giovanni Toscana Pack | 20-25% off + $15 flat rate shipping!

• Marc’s incredible Super-Tuscan from our Certified Organic estate in Casole d’Elsa, Tuscany
    510 case production, 14.5%

50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Sangiovese, 10% Petit Verdot made by one of the best winemakers alive! During their first visit to the property, Marc and Michael were struck by the unique terroir - limestone, clay and sand, all from hillsides - farmed organically by master vineyard manager, Francesco Baffetti. It is clear to all involved that these soils were in part reflective of Bordeaux, giving the team inspiration for creating a wine that would reflect the balance of great Médoc wines while remaining authentically Tuscan.

2-pack: $150 regular, $120 BD PURCHASE
6-pack: $450 regular, $338 BD (extra -5%) PURCHASE

Gagnon-Kennedy Vineyards “Monte Rosso Vineyard” 2-pack | LIMITED DISCOUNT + $15 flat rate shipping

From the famed Monte Rosso Vineyard on Moon Mountain, this pack includes one each:

• 2021 “Monte Rosso Vineyard” Zinfandel
    120 case production, 15.1%, 30% whole cluster
  • 2020 “Monte Rosso Vineyard” Cabernet Sauvignon
    300 case production, 14.9%

These were our only releases from CA this year due to the fires. Historic Monte Rosso fruit cared for by Brenae Royal and looked after by Marc in the cellar. The Zinfandel is from the original 1886 plantings and has an electric energy. The 2020 was honored by Vinepair as the #6 wine on their Top 50 Wines of 2022 list this year. The 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon is the first vintage for us from nearly 100 year-old Cab vines (planted 1926), and a true testament to the quality possible in Sonoma!

Brenae Royal, Monte Rosso vineyard manager, upon tasting these wines: “Holy S&%t!”

We NEVER discount these wines, but I talked Marc and Michael into extending a limited offer to WB members:

Regular Price: $225
BerserkerDay Price: $200, only 4cs each available
PURCHASE

Component Wine Co. EPIC White Wine 2-pack | LIMITED DISCOUNT + $15 flat rate shipping

100% Varietal white wines from the guy who made Screagle White (YES THIS ONE) this pack includes one each:

• 2021 “Monte Rosso Vineyard” Semillon
    85 case production, 13.5%, 66% New French Oak “Cigar” Barrels, 34% Neutral
  • 2021 “Farfalla Vineyard” Sauvignon Blanc
    67 case production, 12%, 50% New French Oak “Cigar” Barrel, 50% Neutral

This may be a bit of a surprise, but Marc’s favorite wines to make are actually the white varieties! This comes from his days making Sauv Blanc in New Zealand, and the love surely pours through on these two. The “Monte Rosso Vineyard” Semillon is from ancient, own-rooted vines on Moon Mountain originally planted in 1886! It’s crispy, mineral, and bursts with wild aromas of citrus, white flowers, and honeycomb. Our Farfalla Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc is just as energetic with the citrus, but adds in ripe stone fruit, fresh herbs, and a stronger minerality. Fun winemaking note: Marc kept the lees in the barrel on these, but halfway through aging he transferred them from one varietal’s barrel to the other in order to “mingle their souls” and create the impression of a traditional Bordeaux Blanc blend without actually blending. Mad Genius!

Once again, these wines are never available to the public and usually sell out in 1 day, but luckily our release isn’t until next week, and once again I’m going rogue and stealing 4 cases for y’all:

Regular Price: $150
BerserkerDay Price: $120, only 4cs each available
PURCHASE

MAILING LIST

If you’re interested in our upcoming Gagnon-Kennedy Historic Vineyard (To Kalon, Beckstoffer Georges II and Missouri Hopper, Historic Samuel Brannan) release, and all other releases join our mailing list here!

A huge THANK YOU to Todd, Patrick, Siun, and Brig for all you dedicate to BD. And thanks to the WB members for making this possible!

Much Love,

Michael, Marc, Jamie, Charles, Jerica, Dan, Ellie, Meghan, & Jeremy

BONUS: BTS goofy pics of Marc and Michael and the team that show their true colors…

A note on Scores: Michael and Marc have made the decision to not submit our wines for scores. Marc dealt with the weight of scores for years when working at high-profile wineries in Napa and has decided that, with his own company, he’d prefer to eliminate the stress and anxiety that comes from them. (Side note: the guy has gotten a slew of 100-pointers in his past, so you can be confident the quality is there)

1 Like

This is my first time writing tasting notes for Newbie offers, so please go easy on me.

I was excited to try a trio of wines from Vin Fraiche, particularly because of the diversity of winegrowing regions represented in their portfolio: Napa, Oregon, and Italy. Standard disclosure: I received these wines gratis from the producer in order to write this review.

2019 La Caccia di San Giovanni Toscana IGT

A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Sangiovese, and 10% Petit Verdot, aged for 24 months in 50% new French oak. Weighs in at 14.5% ABV.

This wine pours a beautiful medium ruby, a bit lighter in color than I expected given the blend. On the nose I get bright red cherries, strawberries, cassis, and some creme brulee and cloves from the French oak. On the palate we again have cherry and cassis, with a bit of unintegrated yet high-quality French oak that will likely smooth out with time. Medium body, acidity is medium(+), with medium tannins, and a bit of alcoholic burn on the finish.

Overall, an enjoyable and high-quality representation of a Supertuscan. While I generally don’t like overt oak in my wines, the perfumed oaky aroma of this wine is simply intoxicating. Whether you are a fan of classic old world Sangiovese or modern new world Cabernet Sauvignon, I think you will find a lot to like in this wine, which straddles the line with aplomb.

Served alongside a simple tomato sauce pasta, this was an excellent complement to the dish. I find this wine quite nice at this point in time, but probably even better in 5 years.

2019 State of Mind (SOM) Chardonnay, LS Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills, Oregon

100% Chardonnay from Eola-Amity Hills’ LS Vineyard (which I believe is the Lingua Franca Estate vineyard, with “LS” being for Larry Stone, the owner). Aged in 100% new French oak, with a restrained 13% ABV. Apparently made in two batches blended together, each batch resembling the style of a producer from Meursault. The first is meant to be in the style of Domaine des Comtes Lafon, which should be rounder and softer in style. The second is meant to resemble Domaine Roulot, which broadly speaking is stylistically leaner and more minerally. Sounds interesting, let’s see if any of that comes through in the wine.

Pours a pale lemon in the glass. On the nose, I get green apple and lemon, some buttered popcorn, brioche, and with a kiss of vanilla and caramel from the French oak. The oak is less perceptible to me than the 100% new French oak aging would suggest. On the palate I get much the same notes as the aromas, but I’m not able to pick up a mineral character. Medium(-) body, acidity is medium(+), no perceptible alcohol on the relatively long finish. What is noteworthy is that the acidity structure of this wine is not on the rounder lactic side of things but seems to have more of the tart malic acid character.

Does this wine resemble a Meursault? Well, I’m no burgundy expert, but to me this is more Meursault-inflected Oregon rather than Oregon-inflected Meursault. It’s darn delicious though, and I had to pry the bottle away from my family to preserve the last glass-worth of wine in the bottle in order to finish this review.

2020 Gagnon-Kennedy Cabernet Sauvignon, Monte Rosso Vineyard, Moon Mountain District, Sonoma County, California

Cabernet Sauvignon from the Monte Rosso Vineyard of Moon Mountain District in Sonoma. Aged in 60% new French oak, and weighing in at 14.9% ABV. This producer seems to focus on making wines from historic vineyards in California (e.g. Old Federal Vineyard of To-Kalon, or Beckstoffer Georges III), and Monte Rosso Vineyard of Louis M. Martini is no exception. As a big fan of wine from old historic vineyards, I’m excited to give this one a try!

As this wine is so young, I decanted it a few hours before dinner and enjoyed it over the course of the evening, with my last glass around 5-6 hours after decanting. My worry with a wine like this is that it may be too primary, with harsh unresolved tannins and grapey flavors.

Thankfully, this was mostly not the case. The wine is deep ruby in color, with tears that nearly stain the sides of the glass. The nose is predominantly dark fruits like blackberry and plums, and an almost Robitussin-like cherry (probably this is the alcohol poking through). The aromas from the French oak are fairly subtle and restrained. On the palate the expensive-tasting oak is a bit more perceptible, adding some roundness and finesse to the still very primary dark fruited flavors. The fine grained tannins are astringent on the finish at this point in time. The wine is medium(+) bodied, with medium(+) acidity, medium(+) tannins. Alcohol is high, but honestly there is perceptibly less alcohol than the Supertuscan I tasted previously, despite being listed at a higher ABV.

This wine is the quintessential iron fist in a velvet glove. I don’t think I’m very experienced in tasting young wines and projecting what they will become, but from what I tasted this has all of the components to be an excellent wine 5-10 years down the line, it’s just all a jumble of sharp edges at this point in time.

I again had to pry the bottle away from my family in order to finish this review, so it clearly passes that test.

5 Likes

Chris! Thanks so much for the super thoughtful notes and great pics!

While I love everything you said, I think the fact that you had to “pry the bottle away from family” is possibly the greatest compliment we could’ve received!

Cheers, sir!

2 Likes

Disclosure: Hey folks, I’m a Monopole Crü member ‘Newbie taster’ and, similar to Chris, received the wines free of charge for review. This is also my first time writing tasting notes in this context. Lastly, I got a bit carried away and drank the cab before taking a picture (as you might be able to tell from the empty bottle in the middle). :slight_smile:

2020 Gagnon-Kennedy “Monte Rosso Vineyard” Cabernet Sauvignon
Beautiful, deep ruby color. Dark fruit (e.g., blackberries, plums) and baking spices on the nose, followed by a bit of chocolate and tobacco. I let this decant for a couple of hours on the first night and felt it really opened up; very enjoyable!

On the plate - dry, with medium body and acidity. Grippy tannins at first but subsided as I went through the bottle. I actually enjoyed this one more on the second day, and even on the third felt that it held quite nicely. I think this one will age very well.

2019 SOM L.S. Vineyard Chardonnay (Eola-Amity Hills, OR)
Pale straw color in the glass, with refreshing notes of honeysuckle, pears, and ripe apples; oak was fairly subdued. Light to medium bodied with bright acidity, and an off-dry, long lasting finish to boot, with similar notes on the palate for me. Overall I found this to be a refreshing and delicious chardonnay, with some complexity to it that had me quickly coming back for another glass - my wife was also very much a fan.

2019 La Caccia di San Giovanni Toscana Rosso
Medium to deep garnet color. My wife and I enjoyed this over some homemade tortellini soup the first night after decanting for a couple of hours, and drank over the course of two days. Notes of black cherries and plums were the first to jump out at me, followed by dark chocolate, leather, and cigar box. The oak was certainly there but I did not find it overbearing by any means.

On the palate, medium plus body with a dry, lengthy finish; medium plus tannins and medium plus acidity. This was hands down my favorite wine of the 3 that I tried (and they were all fantastic). I was very disappointed when I poured my last glass!

3 Likes

My first order for BD14 - I love Semillon which helped me pick. So cool to have this team at BerserkerDay … and we can leave our ‘copters at home finally!

Really looking forward to sharing these.

2 Likes

Excited for the semillon! Thanks.

I opened a ‘21 Component Monte Rosso Semillon last weekend, loved this version, particularly on open, and paired well with Indian food.

@Siun_O_Connell What an honor!!! I think you’ll love the whites—your choice on whether to share these special babys with the daughter, though!

1 Like

Ah … I will have to think carefully - depends on what she offers to cook. Laughing … If she makes the amazing fish from her old job at Embeya, I’ll share!

@jleepson

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and support!

@MICHAEL_C_R_O_M_W_E_L_L

Seriously one of my favorite white wines ever…I will need to try with Indian soon :thinking:

Ryan, your notes are spot on! Thanks so much for helping to give insight into the wines, and I’m glad you loved the La Caccia so much!

Guys, the love is felt! Thank you all so much!

1 Like

Going with the Epic White 2 pack

Looks like Farfalla Vineyard is a new wine for you. Where is it located? Don’t see this wine in CT

Farfalla vineyard is in Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma.

Thanks Charles for the info

In for a two-pack of the Monte Rosso

2 x SOM for the win!

@CharlesM Is Vin Fraiche in St. Louis? Anything to check out in that location if we’re local to there?

2 packs of the whites! Score!!!