Elbling Study

Summer of Elbling
I tried the 2013 Hild Elbling today, excellent light refreshing Grüner like wine with decent acidity.

Well worth $15.

Looking forward to trying the Sekt and the Zehnkommanull next.

Jancis Robinson reports on Elbling:

• one of the most ancient German varieties
  • parent-offspring relationship with Gouais Blanc
  • could be a cross between Gouais Blanc and Savagnin
  • at one time it was the only variety planted in Luxembourg
  • was 3/4 of all vines planted in Germany in the first half of the 19th Century
  • today it is almost entirely planted in the upper mosel where it is difficult to ripen Riesling

Crush Offer - http://www.crushwineco.com/current-specials/hild-elbling-elbling-zehnkommanull-2013/

Hild - http://www.hild-wein.de

1 Like

Only thread I could find on Elbling. With no response or follow up, I reckon Robert was ahead of time, or maybe. Late looking at the historical popularity of the grape in Germany.

Had Uli Stein’s 2020 the other day. Drank it without knowing what to expect, which is one of my favorite ways for a first encounter with a grape or a winery.

It was electric, a really beautiful (dry) wine. Texturally it felt quite similar to riesling, yet aromatically less about fruits. If you haven’t had a good Elbling, you are missing out.

Curious to hear others thoughts on the grape in the hands of good good winegrowers/makers…

I really enjoy Stein’s Elbling but this one blew my mind:

• 2019 Jonas Dostert Elbling trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/23/2021)
    Oh man. If you love rocks and acid you must find this. Intense, intense. Lemon juice and rind, stirred up with smooth river rocks. Pure and bracing with deceptive weight and a long, rocky finish. What a great discovery.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

this is a good reminder. i have a couple dosterts i have been meaning to try.

Thanks so much for reviving this thread. I LOVE Elbling! I asked everyone on the Mosel during my recent trip if they had any Elbling planted and all but one said no. Of course I did not hit the Upper Mosel where it is grown and the source of the Hild and Jonas Dostert. I love the Ulli Elbling and it reminds me to crack a bottle soon.

1 Like

I look forward to hearing your impressions of them.

Thanks for this great note! I need to crack one of these.

Will keep my eyes out for it, great notes that sounds quite similar to Uli’s 2020!

Was glad to find something about it, lot of true drinking joy!

Can’t help but notice the similarity between the names elbLING and riesLING. Anyone know their German history?

Elbling will be the new Riesling…
Aligote will be the new Chardonnay…

How many grapes can still retain acidity in this heat?

Oh, and the Moselle will be the new Mosel, along with parts of Denmark and mid-latitude Norway and Sweden.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

In 2017, while in Dresden for a week, I went out of my way to find and drink Saxon Eblings. I managed to track down 3 or 4 of them. All were good, if not anything as described above. It was only later that I learned Elbling isn’t a native grape of the Elbe. [oops.gif]

Funny you mention it, and as I noted, that Elbling showed quite similar to riesling, especially for the texture and acidic structure.

Opened a Dostert elbling cremant (bottled 19, disgorged 21) last night. Delicious and satisfying with some takeout sushi, this hits the same way as a really good mountain spring sparkling water (I friggin love a good carbonated spring water so this is definitely meant as a compliment!). Bone dry with refreshing mousse but not overly austere, the fruit adds some natural sweetness even if there is no sugar. Not trying to be champagne…great with food and would also be delicious sitting on the patio on a hot day…

2 Likes

I need to try one of those! Each and every Dostert wine I have increases my already extremely high opinion of him and his wines. Try the Hild Spakling super fun party wine but also serious.

Elbling fans check out Racines Rebelles too - from just across the river from Jonas.

(we are going to sell these)

I need to try her wines!

I’ve only had 2 Elblings. They were nice but very simple. Is there a potential for high quality here?

Inspired by this thread I opened a 2019 Jonas Dostert Elbling. 11.0% abv. Bottle 264 / 696.

Holy wow is this a fascinating wine. It tastes like a hypothetical combination of Elbling and Chardonnay from Chablis. This is demur and focused. Savory and beguiling. The viscosity, something I don’t associate with Elbling, is just stunning and the hallmark of old vines and great farming. The minerality is profound, if minerality can actually be profound! The wine is absolutely scintillating on all levels.

I noticed a note from Brooklynwineguy on this wine where you can tell he is questioning the hype but I can also tell from his note he really likes the wine. I did not know he was still around! Anyway it is a good counterpoint to my note because I am biased because I have visited Jonas and toured his vineyards and think he is an absolute genius!

1 Like

Seeing him tomorrow. I’ll say hi!