Eastside (of Seattle) Tasting Group does Pegau-Palooza

Sounds like I should trade them to adam :slight_smile:

Or to me. :slight_smile:

Or to me.

I have several still. Eric is always on the lookout though.

I’m presuming these all were 750’s not magnums
since both formats are fairly easy to source, I figured I best verify. Amazing notes. We opened a 2015 magnum last weekend that took Runner Up accolades in a wide open lineup of wines. Of course it was still far from fully developed.

Thanks again!

Yes, everything here was 750ml except the dessert wine which is bottled 500ml.

Great tasting and notes. I’ve said it many times, the '99 Pegau RĂ©servĂ©e was a favorite wine (I love the '99 CdP vintage). I probably went through 2 cases of Pegau. It was a relative bargain at $25. I’m not surprise and quite happy to see it still going strong. There was a second '99 release that I believe was either meant to be a cuvee Laurence or another special cuvee but ultimately bottled as RĂ©servĂ©e. I have a few '01s left. A true vin de garde for this domaine. I have had good luck with recent bottles showing extremely well. Bummer your bottle was showing it’s best.

After years of drinking southern rhone wines, I finally made the pilgrimage in 2019. My visit with Laurence at Pegau was a highlight. I urge anyone that adores these wines to visit the area. CdP is truly breathtaking as is much of the geography of the Vaucluse.

Out of an abundance of curiosity, which release of the '99 did you open?

Mine was the first release (just went dumpster diving in my recycling bin
)

From my tasting notes 19 years ago, I have this tidbit. “By the way, to identify the 2nd release from the initial, the lot # of the late-bottled '99 Pegau is: L: 03-06-24. This is printed on the bottle in purple ink, just under the capsule. Hold the bottle up to a reasonably strong light, rotate it slowly and it should appear.”

None of my three remaining bottles plus the one just consumed have any such lot number. These were part of a lot of four bottles purchased from WineBid back in July, 2020.

Thanks. There are some other label differences between the original and late release (I know I posted them somewhere), but I went so far as to actually mark my bottles once it was understood which was which. Still have one of each left, and will likely open them at the same time.

Would love the label images or additional detail if you have it.

I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Anyone with favorite Pegau vintages post-2010?

The 2011 is my favorite style of Pegau: “lesser” vintage, just gorgeous! And in the more heavyweight vintages, I have loved the 2016!

• 2017 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (9/19/2023)
    Solid vintage, starting to drink nicely, albeit very, very early, still quite firm and toothsome. That said, sometimes you want something a little more chewy...

Gentle notes of pine needle and white pepper dance in the glass. The palate features tart cranberry and bitter chocolate notes framed around the usual grilled plum and garrigue. Right now this is more a steak wine, really featuring the structure, peppery and a little prickly. Delicious. (93 points)
  • 2016 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (4/25/2023)
    Just screaming good right now. (94 points)
  • 2019 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (4/21/2022)
    Delicious, pure, but insanely young. For me this is not yet expressing what I want to see from a Pegau, as it is too locked up in youthful structure at this point. I would wait. (92 points)
  • 2014 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (2/7/2022)
    Not the most forthcoming Pegau.

Pure, surprisingly clean, structured, intense, pine, white pepper, and concentrated cranberry. There are softer, easier notes of red fruit on the finish, pretty, clean, restrained, focused.

This has impressive purity and focus yet is somewhat closed and reticent, much more than I am used to with this producer. I am not sure if I am too early, at a closed stage, or just a tough/cool vintage. (90 points)
  • 2016 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (12/24/2021)
    Young, explosive, white pepper, garrigue, cherry and smoked meat. Everything I would want and expect from a young Pegau. Stunning potential, wonderful balance, just delicious. (94 points)
  • 2015 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (4/8/2021)
    Screaming Grenache. Raspberry, kirsch, cherry and white pepper. This is the sharpest, spiciest, purest, most red-fruited vintages of Pegau that I have ever tasted. This is not an easy wine, edgy, but quite pure, not over the top, precise, but powerful and assertive. (93 points)
  • 2011 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (3/21/2019)
    Wow this is drinking nicely. It is a lighter vintage of Pegau, peppery and spicy, loaded with garrigue. Clean and pure, deliciously balanced and really entering its prime. (92 points)
  • 2012 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (2/6/2015)
    A mid-winter visit to ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape; 2/5/2015-2/7/2015 (ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape, Southern RhĂŽne, France): Laurence compares this to the brilliant 2010. Big, chewy and powerful, another great vintage. Bloody, chewy, spicy and meaty with great density. Soy, pepper and licorice. A really structured wine. This will need some time to unwind.
  • 2011 Domaine du PĂ©gau ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape CuvĂ©e RĂ©servĂ©e - France, RhĂŽne, Southern RhĂŽne, ChĂąteauneuf-du-Pape (4/7/2014)
    Mmm, a "weak" vintage of Pegau that happens to be a great deal at $39. I love Pegau in the blockbuster vintages, but the supposedly "off" vintages seem to nearly always deliver stunning pleasure with the added benefit of faster evolution.

This is a baby. It's certainly not the most profound vintage of Pegau, but it is already both precocious and delicious. White pepper, grilled plum, bloody, meaty, and tasty. Classic Pegau. The finish is loaded with spicy, dried herbs and garrigue. Yeah, more profound vintages are even more vibrant with the volume turned up higher, but this is frankly quite wonderful. As an aside, as Pegau goes, this bottle at least was exceptionally clean with no hint of brett that I could find.

I think this one could use a year or three, but I suspect it will really start to strut quickly (based on the lessons provided by 1997, 1999, 2004, 2006, and 2008). Bring it! (91 points)

The 2011 was super aromatic almost exotic, less extracted and ripe, and one of the best for all the savory elements when sampled a few years ago.

Dan Kravitz is really bullish on the 2016 as one of all time the best vintages, IIRC, but I haven’t tried one yet. If I mischaracterized what Dan wrote about the 2016, mea culpa in advance.

The best vintage for drinking now is 2011, 2013+14 are also aproachable bit slightly less attractive.
2012 is great but young. 15+16 need time.
2017 reminds me on 2004, but better in 3-4 years.
2018 might be a slightly more concentrated 11, 2020 is stronger than 19, but both outstanding.
However I prefer Pegau with 15+ years of age, and fortunately I m well stocked.

Eric,

Great, great tasting. Thanks for the notes.

I am also a big fan of the mid-weight vintages. 1994, 1999, 2004, 2006, 2011

They are not as long lived as the bigger vintages. I had my last bottle of 1994 about a year ago and while it was very enjoyable, the fruit was starting to fade, leaving the wine a little bony. I would think the 1999s are incredible right now and have no problem drinking '04, '06 and even '11 (although the latter should improve for another 5 - 10 years).

I bought 3 cases of 2016 and haven’t opened them yet. With the '59 and the '89, this is my favorite vintage of Reservee, even though I think winemaker Laurence Feraud might prefer the 2015. I’ll be moving later this year and will probably open one of my last '89s and try the '16 when I first have people over.

Dan Kravitz

'59 ?

Have a comp for the 2019 Dan?