Dungeness crab season!

My wife brought home a 2-pack from Costco (Laguna Niguel, CA) last week. One was great but the other had a few black dots on the claws (I’d have passed on that package) and the entire body was full of brown sludge and inedible. Claws were OK though. Not the first time I’ve had off-quality Dungeness from Costco.

Living in the Northwest, I’d never think of buying Dungeness from Costco. The supply chain is likely too long.

2 Likes

Neither would I, but curiosity got the best of me.The supply chain would be much shorter this close to the source I would assume.Maybe this year we will be able to harvest our own, 15 min boat ride.

I spoke with someon at costco about their crab. he said that “a lot” of crab was supposed to go to china but because of their poor economy they didnt want it so costco got it cheap. its a good price but they have had it for two weeks now. not sure how much longer it will last and how long can it last?

Eating a ‘fresh’ Costco crab that is weeks old or older is not an idea that appeals to me.

I buy them from Santa Monica Seafood. $12#. I’m not willing to have another bad crab experience over $6#. YMMV.

1 Like

I was quite disappointed in my Costco crab. Not sweet meat- not bad but not sweet.

After living in the Bay Area, I want them cooked on order. It was a long time ago , so I forgot, but a bite of Costco crab brought it back to me.

It’s really not something that can last anywhere near that long fresh. Even with optimal refrigeration the meat turns mushy after a couple of days, and the decomposition introduces an ammonia smell. Better to pass and wait for an opportunity to get a truly fresh one.

If there is only frozen, or day old, I’ll do crab cakes. Two days or more and I’ll pass (yes, I’m spoilt and fortunate to get them at the local harbor or wharf). Most recent attempt:

Now this one on the other hand was absolutely divine - a little over two pounds (at $10 per), purchased live and cleaned at 4:45pm, steamed by 5:15pm, iced until dinner at 7:00pm, paired with a 2011 Trimbach CFE. Very thankful.

2 Likes

In So. Cal. I’ve purchased Costco’s fresh Dungeness 3x in the past 2 weeks and it’s been very good each time. $4.99/lb. Sure, I’d rather cook my own from live, but I’ll accept Costco’s product and pair with a Chablis or Pouilly Fuisse anytime.

3 Likes

Now we are talking!

That’s why it’s my second favorite crab

(After Sri Lankan mud crabs).

1 Like

Hey Dan! I hope you’re well. Would love to see you out this way sometime. Cheers.

Time to revive this thread. The most wonderful time of the year… especially here in CA where the season is increasingly limited due to whale entanglement concerns. I just hope the small local crabbers can hold on.

Two pounds and a third at $11 per, half hour from harbor to pot, steamed just a hair underdone and iced immediately. Doesn’t get any better than this.

Wine pairing was a 2017 Beurer Rettet die Reben (Save the Vines), a field blend of over 20 ancient German varieties that are hardly planted anymore. A mind bending combination of freshness, depth and complexity.

7 Likes