Dungeness crab season!

First crab in over two years! Dungeness was super briny and meaty. Also new in at 99 was rock crab. We opted for females, which were sweet and tasty.

Get to Chinatown, Ramon. You can find them live in tanks down there, when in season.

1 Like

That looks fantastic, Brian.

We crabbed from the pier in Newport (OR) in September, but didn’t catch any legal Dungeness. Recently, some shoulder pain has made me shy away from my usual local sources here in PDX, which only offer whole live crabs – I’ll have to look around for other sources where I can get just the meat.

1 Like

Sunday breakfast. Dungeness meat with scrambled egg, avo, light drizzle of louie dressing and some bay seasoning.
louie.jpg
…and a salad for lunch today. Shredded carrots, persian cucumber, avo, hard boiled egg mixed below the crab with gem lettuce.
louie2.jpg

4 Likes

If you feel like driving to jersey city the 99 ranch on grand st has plenty at $15/lb

What I don’t understand is the point of not serving congee until 11am. I thought I knew what I was having for breakfast today

1 Like

If anyone spots these in Costco, please post with location

Thanks! Great inspiration… here are our fancy ‘leftovers’ from the steak thread. Can’t compete on presentation, but the flavors were spot on. Worthy to to commemorate 02-20-2022.
C30C67BA-5913-4A1A-A4C4-B6B37E2C5160.jpeg
E676E042-F81C-4005-A7AF-9415471B0B40.jpeg
I’m very much spoilt when it comes to fresh crab. Nothing like buying direct from the person that caught them (other than crabbing yourself of course).
BC3A860E-CC6A-47E6-8936-4500D73A515D.jpeg

1 Like

Would he ship to Ohio??

1 Like

I’ll ask next time, but I would be surprised. These are very small operators, father and son in this case. They sell off their boat and to local restaurants and wholesalers. I see some live shippers out of WA online, not sure though how well Dungeness do on a cross country trip. This might be a case of having to visit the west coast for a proper experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My local Costco had Dungeness Crab today!! [wow.gif]

1 Like

Very slow start to the commercial 22-23 season in the SF Bay Area, due to late whale migration. Had a sports trip scheduled in Nov that ended up getting canceled. We finally got local live crab after New Years, a few pictures from the first sessions:

This one was just short of two and a half pounds, lucky day! Pairing was 2016 Ser Sparkling Wirz Riesling.

Regular two pounder, with a stellar Kientzler Geisberg Grand Cru Riesling.

3 Likes

This morning’s haul, $12/lb. I recently had a nasty (and expensive) allergic reaction and tested + for shrimp, so that means no crab, lobster, crawfish and of course shrimp. Nothing can happen and really bad things can happen, so it’s not worth the risk. Not the end of the world but I sure will miss those dungees. It had become a weekend ritual.

Plentiful in western Wa., under $10 if your willing to drive to Westport, right out of the cooker!

Don’t know if Steve Saxon shows up on this board much anymore, but some of my favorite memories of living in Seattle was going crabbing with Saxon in his boat near Gig Harbor. That fresh crab was so good…

1 Like

$15.99# at Santa Monica seafood. Ate them twice last week. Yum!

Hi Dan, hope you’re well. I have a new bigger boat for shrimping and crabbing this year, come on up. We need your hand pulling expertise.

2 Likes

Hey Steve - good to hear from you! Still living the dream I see. I might take you up on that, but probably not until summer. Hope you’re well, too.

1 Like

At the local market today…pretty good price:

This is the meat from just one:

6 Likes

4.99 for fresh dungy at Costco, 2+lbs each,full of meat.