Does Declassified d'Yquem exist?

The only official “2nd label” or declassified d’Yquem I know of is shown below. It is made from young vines and lots that for one reason or another don’t go into the main wine. It also is often blended between vintages. I’ve never seen it for public sale, but it is available to some employees of LVMH and served at some LVMH related events. As you can see from the picture, the label clearly states d’Yquem makes the wine. The wine is quite tasty, but from talking with folks who have far more sweet wine experience than I do, most seem to think you can do better elsewhere for the money.
Sauternes.JPG

Brad,

Yes, I’ve had this wine. It was given to me by someone who worked at the château. If you read the small print you can see the vintage date.

However, the wine is not for sale. It is meant only for “internal use”.

Best regards,
Alex R.

If it’s not for sale, how can you tell how much money it’s worth?

I was told that you can purchase some internally within LVMH. It is also given out as reward/bonus/gift and, as mentioned, used for internal functions.

So, it looks like this may have just popped up on today’s Garagiste missive. Thoughts? $26 per 375ml.

Based on what I’ve seen from Garagiste mystery wines to date, I’m not optimistic. In my opinion, there have been far more misses than hits.

I would be curious to hear what people think if they have tried it. I’m leaning towards not buying, but I could be convinced to give it a try if someone has tried it (even from another vintage) and believes it is of good quality. I’ve generally been unimpressed by 2nd wines even from the estates that lay claim to them (Climens, Rieussec, etc), and I don’t know why this would be different.

Well, if I got my order in on time, I’ll be sure to post about it.

I went in for a couple. Not sure what I was thinking.

Ditto

Report back with tasting notes! I passed, but I’m still curious.

I went ahead and got six half bottles. I cannot imagine them being ‘bad’ at $26 per 375 mL. If they are good to great, then it is all upside for me.

Beau – you bought some too, or you also aren’t sure what I was thinking by pulling the trigger? blush

Hi,
For another take on this question see:
http://www.bordeauxindex.com/offer.php?id=639

Looks like public offer of the mystery wine.

I wish the chateau would clarify this since it is clearly being marketed as theirs with a wink and a nod.

I think we all are fairly sure that this wine is produced by d’Yquem. When I get mine, I can mule a bottle or two back to BNA for the locals to try.

I’m certainly not sure. The bottle of generic sauternes discussed earlier in this thread (there was a photo…) says Yquem in fine print on the bottle. The screenshot on bordeaux index doesn’t say Yquem on the front, just generic sauternes. It could be from anywhere.

This is fake!
On the label it say s possibly: next to Yquem or opposite to Yquem.
The ZIPcode on the label is not of the Chateau, but from a restaurant called Le Saprien.
Just my 2 Franc [cheers.gif]

McCarthy and Schiering here in Seattle just sent out an offer for this exact same wine, with same wink and a nod. $29.95 for .375 and 54.95 for .750.

If Rimmerman, the Billy Mays of unwanted wine, was touting it, LVMH obviously feels it is not even good enough for employees and firm functions.