Does Bordeaux provide the best QPR wines in the world right now?

Well he was very young at the time - if he was there. I remember reading it somewhere but cannot remember where. Anyway, he probably didn’t have the same sort of influence until much later on.

That’s perhaps an American vs British thing, which is not intended as a criticism - and anyway, Moolawine sounds better!

If you mean that moola is American slang, yes, of course. Would you prefer dosh wine?

I’ve had the 1982 around a dozen times over the years and loved it. Also surprised to hear that Rolland was around back then but maybe they just ignored his advice

1 Like

Or maybe his palate, like that of Robert Parker, “evolved” over time!

1 Like

Do you mean “devolved” over time?

Not only do I think Bordeaux is a great value across the board, but in the market correction, there are some incredible deals going on.

That is the good news; the bad news is that it’s impossible to resist some of the prices, and I succumbed. And now I am broke.

Mouton 2019 and 2020 at $430 and $450 a bottle respectively and Montrose 2016, one of the wines of the vintage at $155.

Quite simply, these are among the greatest wines produced anywhere in the last few years, and only because they are available in relatively large quantities are far far better values than Burgundy. I love Burgundy but for the this kind of money you can only buy third and fourth tier wines. I have just been offered Trapet Chambertin for the equivalent of one Mouton and three Montrose.

3 Likes

@Mark_Golodetz

Is this before buyers premiums at auction? I haven’t seen much below 500 unless UK IB.

Retail so no premium.

are those Mouton prices available for us regular folks? :crazy_face: If so, where would that be?

1 Like

Can you share the seller, im interested in backfilling.

1 Like

FWIW out of curiosity I looked up all in auction prices and a 6 pack wooden case of Montrose 2026 hammered at 136€ per bottle in Oct 23. Admittedly in Belgium. In Dec 20 it was around 155€ per bottle.

I am afraid those wines are gone, but if you look at WS you can still find sub $500 Mouton 2020.

I too loved 1989+90 La Dominique and also bought 95 and 98. However I was a bit disapointed with vintages 1999 to 2004 and didn t buy any -

1 Like

I know, what a surprise, but we completely disagree. I think La Dominique since 2009, with a big step up again in 2015 is making the best wines in the history of the estate.

Elegant, vibrant, silky and pure examples of St. Emilion.

Alfret… I am now slightly better informed. As I suspected, La Dominique is one of the oldest clients of Michel Rolland with a business relationship dating back to 1978/1979, when Michel began his practice.

1 Like

Agreed. Absolutely shocking.

Are there wines that both of you love?

They have to be. This is a total Venn diagram, certainly they share an appreciation for quite a lot of Bordeaux. I know Mark was a huge fan of 2016 Mouton.

1 Like

Just got a K&L offer for 2005 Haut Bergey, a wine that I thought was solid value on release at $29 (it did favorably in a large <$30 blind BDX tasting we did while back). It’s selling for (drum roll) $42.

Glass half empty: don’t bother buying BDX EP. It by and large appreciates well below your cost of capital.

Glass half full: backfill, Mortimer!

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes.

2005 was a peak of absurd Bdx EP pricing. And Haut Bergey isn’t exactly a producer with much cachè. I wouldn’t draw any broad conclusions conclusions from this example.

2 Likes