Does Bordeaux provide the best QPR wines in the world right now?

Yes, there are very expensive wines from Bordeaux. And, yes, there are cheaper wines from Bordeaux. But, Q stands for quality.

I went to a tasting about a month ago and yesterday bought a few bottles for more ordinary use.

Got: Mauesin Barton 2020 for $20, Meyney 2020 for $36 and Grand Corbin Despagne 2019 to $40 (this was based on board notes and not the tasting). Next, I guess I will have to look for Pitray.

4 Likes

Look at the title of the thread. You may want to rewrite.

1 Like

Howard may have been well into each of the three bottles when writing this

3 Likes

I needed to cross-link this just for kicks :grin:

2 Likes

YES - 20 bucks still gets you a lot of wine in Bordeaux -

2 Likes

Given how much the 2019s were discounted, I am a big yes on this. And many 2020s, a great vintage, are attractively priced too.

I mean, I just picked up the 2020 Domaine de Chevalier rouge — a wine I loved at the UGC — for like $53 plus tax but free shipping (on WDC, after coupons and cash back). In today’s wine buying dollars, I consider that a world beating QPR.

3 Likes

I will add myself to the usual suspects who have responded and say yes, unequivocally for red wine. Not white, which the Germans win hands down, and is ultimately a better QPR.

9 Likes

Depending on stylistic preferences (of course), I think Pouilly Fuisse and other Maconnais appellations can offer pretty amazing QPR in white wine. I am a big fan of German wines too but my taste for off dry whites has diminished substantially and most dry German wines seem pretty pricey (happy to hear otherwise).

2 Likes

Agree on Germans, although a lot of them are going up in price.

Yes, without a doubt, Bordeaux produces the best wines for the money on the planet, especially at the affordable end. Though this is not recent, it has been this way for years. Numerous small chateaus produce solid, good-quality wines at a fair price, that can age and develop. And the best part is, that most are made in large quantities, so the wines are easy to find in the marketplace.

4 Likes

Loire Cabernet Franc anyone?

8 Likes

Les Georges Chinon around $23 is a winner for me.

1 Like

With the caveat that preferences are subjective, and if someone doesn’t like Bordeaux very much then obviously it doesn’t make sense for them to buy it even at low prices, I agree very much with what Jeff and Howard wrote.

Especially in better vintages, there is so much good Bordeaux available for $15-30. These are the wines I wish were on restaurant lists everywhere, since they have character, they’re food friendly, you can drink them young or age them. If you could pick a good $20 Bordeaux and pay $50 on a restaurant list, that would be so great.

But it very rarely is that way (I mean in the USA). Bordeaux on restaurant lists is usually one or more of (a) off vintages, (b) no-name producers, (c) very expensive, (d) a too-young vintage of a wine that needs age.

I’m not sure if restaurants just don’t know about how great these options are, or maybe customers don’t order them anyway, or maybe restaurants just want to force customers to buy more expensive wines than those.

3 Likes

This. Jeff and I have always agreed on this.

1 Like

Probably yes for reds, and for me the sweet spot is with the Second Growths. (For whites, give me Germany or Austria.)

Even better value is mature Bordeaux. Envoyer has been offering a bunch of fun stuff recently, and auctions are always full of it. Killer values so long as you’re not chasing 1st growths.

I will say I don’t find as much value in the sub-$100 range. Counter-intuitively, I actually find Burgundy the best value once you are around the $50 range. So much great non-Cote d’Or and lower appellation stuff out there, plus Beaujolais if you include it.

3 Likes

Yes, if you like Bordeaux. There are a lot of Americans that find it kind of green and/or herbal. But if you’re serious into wine and QPR, I think its a good idea to look at the oceans of wine that they make in Bordeaux every year.

1 Like

With 20 years of age, absolutely! Getting to that point with the low P intact has been my problem.

3 Likes

I’d add Champagne to the list of regions with best QPR today.

5 Likes

Sure, they’re cheaper. But then you’re stuck drinking Bordeaux…

5 Likes

Wow. They seem to keep going up and up in price.

2 Likes