Does Bordeaux provide the best QPR wines in the world right now?

With some exceptions, that is my view as well. There are very few second wines that I actually buy.

1 Like

Can we stop making second wines a thing?

(merry Xmas)

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen it several times about a good first wine over a second wine for QPR. but also producer, producer, producer is one of my typical wine mantras. Thatā€™s kinda why I asked, because those two things dont jive in my head. was wondering if Bordeaux was the exception to the producer rule or if maybe the second wine thing wasnā€™t really applicable in all situations. sounds like maybe its a bit more of that the second wine rule isnā€™t ALWAYS applicable.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Garagiste deal on 2016 La Reserve de Malartic is pretty crazy. Hard to beat that QPR. Ended up buying 3 cases.

I am enjoying this thread a lot. In the last few months I have been exploring some young wines from the Haut Medoc and Moulis.

I live in BC between 2 great oceans the Pacific and the ocean of unsold young Bordeaux that our Provincial government purchases for us every year. The last 3 vintages havenā€™t sold well at all. Itā€™s not the wines fault. We tend to pay for everything in BC with profits made on Liquor.

So, the mismanagement in purchasing has been so bad the retail stores are having to send Bordeaux back to the warehouses just to make room for Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels displays this Christmas. My local store has 156 bottles of 2019 Meyney in stock. In the last 90 days they sold 3 bottles. At $75 per itā€™s not surprising.

So instead of being a curmudgeon I have been buying Bordeaux. Over the last two nights we had a 2018 Poujeaux and a 2018 Fontodi CC. I loved the Poujeaux and liked the Fontodi.

The Poujeaux seemed like a pretty serious wine compared to Lanessan or Bernadotte. How do people feel about Poujeaux?

4 Likes

Love the Poujeaux, I have plenty of 2014 and 2016 maturing quietly.

2 Likes

dang and our local shops dont even have Meyney! tell BC to send some of it to South Carolina! lol

1 Like

Garagiste sold 2022 Meyney as futures for a stupendous price. And they ship to SC :slight_smile:

How far a drive is it for you to Atlanta? I would think some of wines recommended in this thread would be available there.

Itā€™s not terrible besides driving in Atlanta. As a state I think SC doesnā€™t do that well with Bordeaux, even Charleston is kinda desert-ish for Bordeaux. But Atlanta is a bit better.

1 Like

Pensees de Lafleur!

2 Likes

For me I say Italian is a better QPR. Maybe even Spain and Portugal.

1 Like

I was drinking some 2020 Marjosse recently and at sub 10ā‚¬ the QPR is just great

1 Like

Popped a 2016 Tronquoy Lalande, drank 3/4 of the bottle, finished the remaining 1/2 about two nights later. Excellent, and only $36. I grabbed a full case.

2 Likes

I love the classic 1 1/4 bottle format. :grin:

7 Likes

Good thing heā€™s a lawyer and not an accountant :grin:

3 Likes

Somebody better check my billings!

3 Likes

hope your comp committee doesnā€™t know about your math issues

Math is for nerds with calculators. Someone has to lead from the front!