Did - But Should Not Have . .

Inspired by the post about the ‘ones that got away’ - now it’s time to admit what you ended up purchasing and in retrospect probably should not have . . .

Go!

3 Likes

3 cases of 2018 Bourgogne-Passetoutgrains before I knew that meant Gamay.

6 Likes

Anything from Paul Jaboulet.

2 Likes

Two bottles of Chateau Chalon. They had some age on them, but ugh! not to my tastes.

1 Like

Wines I didn’t know in advance, but got the fever for on Last Bottle Extravaganza Day.

Cases of old Wind Gap offered on clearance via Garagiste. 10.9% ABV syrah will never be my (a?) thing…

2 Likes

there are a few, large formats come to mind. I’m still sitting on a 3L 2003 Karl Lawrence Cab that I have no idea when I’ll open. Likewise for a magnum of 1977 Dow, when the heck am I going to drink that much port in one sitting?

1 Like

2019 Andre Pasdeloup Bourgogne Rouge, its “steal of declassified high quality Volnay”, turns out this discerption was a perfect example of hyperbole.

3 Likes

Bought great wines…that I should have later sold instead of consuming!

Had a lot of Verset, Clos Rougeard, Tremblay and Rene Engel. Great wines, but not as good as their price tags are now!

2 Likes

Australian ooze monsters. Irrefutable proof that Parker’s palate was shot as late as the mid-late 1990’s (if you don’t count Burgundy).

9 Likes

Half my cellar

8 Likes

Large format bottles. When am I going to open these? I probably just don’t have enough friends.

10 Likes

Mostly daily drinkers in the '00s – I think the majority bought b/c of WA points :joy: – from SBC, Oz, and Paso. Paso was by far the worst because it was flawed wine. No big purchases thankfully – like a friend of a friend with a cellar full of oxidized GC white Burgundy.

It’s all part of the game. I think if one hasn’t had any dogs, they haven’t really collected wine.

6 Likes

Bought vastly too much California wine before figuring out my palate leaned in different directions. Luckily most of what I bought was possible to sell through local auction outlets, so I don’t have many cases of those wines aging out, sad and ignored.

“Don’t buy a ton before you taste lots of wines and learn what best matches your palate” will go down in history as one of the best pieces of advice that is unbelievably difficult to follow. Still a distant second to “buy more bitcoin, the price will only go up forever”.

3 Likes

I have to say, the start to this thread is a lot more interesting than I expected when I clicked. I figured it was all going to be the de riguere stuff about Aussie Shiraz and Napa Cult Cabs (not that that isn’t a valid answer at all, but grinding gears about that is very old hat around here).

3 Likes

In 1998 I bought two cases of 1996 Droin Premiere Cru Chablis (a case each of Vaillons and Montmains). I don’t think I got to enjoy any of them, as they were all premoxed by early 2000.

6 Likes

I bought way more wine from Garagiste than I should have. Lots and lots of $20-30 bottles purchased 10+ years ago that are still sitting in offsite storage. Many are likely well passed their prime drinking window so I keep passing them over when pulling stuff from storage.

(If it hadn’t been Garagiste it would have been some other internet wine shop that triggered the bargain hunter in me.)

3 Likes

Timely thread. A 6-pack of Halcon Estate, but I wanted to try it so fu¢k it.

6 Likes

The thing I started to do is organise opportunities to drink the wines/bottles I wanted.

Every May, a friend and I organise a big party we call May Day Mags to give ourselves and others an occasion to open up large format wines from our cellars. I’d do it more often if I had the bandwidth to organise more events

3 Likes

Shouldn’t you just look up Commerce Corner for these?

6 Likes