Design your own Champagne glass

It’s for all you state and more that I love the Sophienwald stems. They are the epitome of being finer and thinner plus having a wide base and they are lead free and hand blown.

specs:
height 9 5/8″
diameter 3 3/8″
volume 14oz
weight 3.3oz

don’t know these at all… which one in particular?

Check here for the Champagne Glass: the glasses – The Perfect Glass

+1 on pretty much all of this. I’m not sure how much extra dissipation there really is, as I haven’t done an A/B with proper flutes. But I feel that a slightly narrower version might be my ideal champagne glass. That said, I am pretty happy overall with how they perform.

Adrian,

It’s great to hear that you won this, and I love the idea of a 93 etched into the bottom. I think the one thing that I think about and would want would be that I have the ability to pour 5oz. into the glass and have plenty of room for a vigorous swirl. So let’s say one glass should be somewhere in-between the Sophienwald Grand Cru Champagne glass (left) and the smaller more durable Schott Zwiesel Champagne glass(right) above in Matt A’s photo.

Agree on your point about the bottom of the bowl, my sketch is missing the thickness of the glass (and plenty of drafting ability) and it’s something I’ll definitely raise with David while we develop the glass.

I have a strong preference for a smaller glass and repeated pouring, but I was double-checking a rough conical estimate off of the current dimensions the fill is actually ~120 ml right now.

Sounds great! Do you mean this approx. 120 ml pour is on the widest point of the glass then?

Yep, the thinner Joseph glass with a slightly wider widest point is pretty much what I’m aiming for here.

Yes, but keep in mind that is the naive conical volume calculation. With curvature, that would further increase the volume, and with the actual physical thickness of the glass, that would decrease it.

I have to admit, I never make pours of 5 oz; especially at wine dinners (remember those?), but also at home. I have a strong preference to leave the juice in the bottle and make frequent smaller pours. Though as I said above, the ideal pour is always to the widest point of the glass, so no reason you couldn’t go over :wink:

You’re not the only one. Our normal tasting pours are 50-60 ml, wine dinners maybe 80 ml and I normally don’t make larger than 100 ml pours even at home.

However, it’s always nice to have enough headroom in your glass for those random occasions that call for a larger pour! champagne.gif

looks great … thanks. based on the pic, the opening should be a bit wider but will find one to try asap. thanks again.

An update on the process so far, this is the first draft of the design, though I’m thinking of pushing the widest point down a little bit.
IMG_8845.jpg

Looks really lovely.

So will these be for sale, when done?

Serious.

Name it A.So-93.

I’m in for 6.

David has previously mentioned he’d be willing to increase the trial run, I’ll make sure to report back once we iron out the details!

one thing i’ve noticed on the glasvin is that where the stem meets the base it doesn’t taper as much as it does where it meets the bowl and seems too right-angle-y. that should be corrected as running change but something to keep in mind for the champagne stem.

do you know the volume of the area below the horizontal mid-section of the bowl? that seems to be what i’d want the glass optimized towards. the shape generally looks perfect.

Maybe a dumb question. What’s the significance of the 93?

every wine tasted in it will score 93.

1 Like

pretty but base diameter seems small.