De Negoce offer (Part 2)

So, when are you thinking about opening one? I have fall 2024 down to try one out.

I was wondering the same thing. Secondary market for the Turley Montecillo seems to be about $100, but I couldn’t find the release price. $135 seems pretty high, especially since the slightly less expensive, lower alcohol versions seem to get most of the accolades.

Maybe the heat spike caught someone on their back foot and they couldn’t pick it when they wanted.

Also, most producers make less than 200 cases of Montecillo, so more likely to be a bigger house like Turley imo.

1 Like

Turley matches the description the best, and the alcohol, and Turley did not release 2022 Montecillo, 200 cases is a Turley-sized production from there so I’d go with that.

Definitely not Di Costanzo.

4 Likes

Stephen,
Yes fall this year for 1st bottle Lot 120 Moon Mountain. Likely during my favorite month - October. I’ll send out invites. :wine_glass:

Cheers, Tim

1 Like

You’re thinking of the Estate, not the Monticello. The Estate is
fine. This should be a lot better.

1 Like

@Mark_B1 A friend of mine is in the Turley wine club, I could be wrong, but my understanding is that those bottles of non-estate, say Monticello, are wine club, tasting room, etc. Very few end up on the secondary market if memory serves me correctly. What one can see on wine-searcher is usually folks that sold their wine club purchases to winebid or whatever. You can find some 2017 and 2014 on the market, but very very few bottles, and 2017 was not a sought-after year, in my opinion.

Based on what I’ve read this wine usually sold for $110-$125. It wouldn’t surprise me if because of the market, and inflation, that perhaps that it’s $135 now. Could be wrong, jut my guess.

3 Likes

I agree with everything you said. It could be $135, but given wine-searcher ranges from $70-$125 a $135 release price seems high imo. Especially from a producer with far less accolades for their Montecillo than DiCo, Arnot and Donum.

I’m used to “highly allocated” wines immediately being $50 more than release, and older vintages being at least higher than current release price. Examples include Mascot, and Bard etc.

Of course the price could have risen, dN could be fudging ($33 for a $100 doesn’t quite hit the same way), or the fact that something is up if it is getting bulked out

2 Likes

I want to want this so bad but I dismissed it on email and after reading this thread and re-reading the offer am again dismissing it.

Truthfully, I need Cam to be involved to scam me with hyperbole to be all in. And they just don’t have it.

7 Likes

Who are we kidding here right? They won’t bulk out $135 “highly allocated” wines for $10 or $20 to dN. It’s BS or the wine is inferior and they decided to not sell the vintage this year. By definition, if it’s highly allocated, it’s demand is well in excess of supply.

3 Likes

If most of us hold out, maybe we’ll get lot 419 on clearance :sweat_smile:

In case anyone is interested I picked up a few bottles of the 2016 Ordaz Montecillo for $30 (half off) on invino (part of the first/last bottle family). Free shipping with 4 or more.

Referral link if you have never shopped invino before for $10 off.

Chuy Ordaz is the vineyard manager for Montecillo, and his son makes the wines.

K&L sells the 2018 for $50 and had this to say:

A wonderfully aromatic wine with pure Cabernet notes of small, dark berry fruits, graphite, juniper, mulberry, and wild thyme. The palate is full and dense but there is an elegance to the wine, nothing saturated or sweet. This is old-school mountain fruit, with firm tannins that fan out on the finish with wonderfully savory, woodsy spices and earth. Drink now with a decant or keep for the next decade plus with confidence.

2 Likes

This sold me. With my credits, which balanced out sales tax, $33.50 per bottle delivered. I’m a Turley wine club member but have never noticed this Cab, they offer so many wines and I stick with the Zins mostly. Anyway, I will drink and post notes and compare to Turley Monticello if I get my hands on one.

6 Likes

I looked up Turley Monticello and found the details below. I checked for Winter 23/24 but that offer is now closed so I can’t see if any Monticello was offered recently. Imma going to e-mail the winery to see if they have any available since I bought 3 cases of zin not too long ago. :slight_smile:

Another reason for me to buy Moon Mountain is it was my wife and my wedding wine. Of course, that was the $10 purple bottle from Moon Mountain winery, but we are down to 2 bottles of the original 2004 vintage we use as our anniversary wine, and this might become a replacement.

Perched at 1800 feet up Moon Mountain on the Sonoma side of the Mayacamas is this utter jewel of an old-vine, dry-farmed Cabernet vineyard. Hailing from one of the most historic and oldest Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards in Sonoma, Montecillo is truly a paragon site. Located in the sub-AVA of Moon Mountain along the western side of the Mayacamas, its high elevation, combined with dry-farming and the rocky, unforgiving soils, makes for one of the most authentic, unique, and all-around best vineyard sites in the US.

VINTAGE SPECIFIC TASTING NOTES

Search by wine or vintage to access our historical newsletters.

DETAILS

• AVA: Sonoma Valley
  • Sub-AVA: Moon Mountain
  • Soil: Volcanics
  • Elevation: 1,800’
  • Plantings: late 1960s
  • Varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Viticulture: Dry-farmed, hand harvested
  • Fermentation: Native yeast
  • Barrels: 60% used oak, 40% new; 100% French oak
  • Aging: 18 months in barrel
  • Bottled unfined and unfiltered
  • First Turley Vintage: 2016
  • Serving Temp: 60-65ÂșF
  • Release: Winter
  • Accessibility: Extremely limited, Member exclusive
4 Likes

I think that’s what they show on the website. Amazing how little actual info for us :rofl:

Any chance your wine list communication includes case production, abv and price?

It’s probably a lock, but if not I have an outside, totally conjectured guess based on no real info.

I think Turley is the only wine with notes that mention menthol, which can be confused for eucalyptus which dN used (to Joe Heitz’s chagrin)

Since I was smart enough to hide my Lot 120 offsite, I poured a glass of this instead (2016), delicious:

5 Likes

:point_up_2:t3: I have one bottle of this too, 2016 bought from the Bedrock tasting room.

1 Like

No, we get a link to details of all wines available with each offer, but once the offer closes, the link is a dead end. Spring link (open now) has a dozen or so wines, but not this one. I’m passing entirely on the Spring since I have plenty of Turley and none of my known favorites in this bunch.

1 Like

Gosh I really hemmed and hawed about 419, but then the price clicked and I realized I do not need 6 or 12 bottles of a cab at that price. (Probably at any price!) I hope all who ordered love it. For me, with the wine we have already, the prices need to be lower at this point for me to jump in (which probably won’t happen).

14 Likes

Thanks for checking. I hate when any business does that and then kills the link.

Nice to be able to go back and see the price, read the reviews or whatever the case may be.

2 Likes

Wish I had more than a couple bottles. Killer now with 10 mins in a big bowl before dinner, but can def go longer (unsurprisingly). I also have 2x 2013, but have yet to try it.

Uninterested in 419. 15.5% declared is a non-starter.

And where is the dN spelling police when you need disambiguating between Montecillo vs. Monticello? :wink:

2 Likes

Matt,

Perhaps they (The Producer) are looking into the coal mine regarding the potential of the 2023 juice emanating from them, as well what they are hearing from other producers, and decided to proactively dump this very good wine now?

I’m on the fence. It’s the type of deal that has me jumping on from time to time. As of today, I haven’t taken a bite.