De Negoce offer (Part 2)

Anybody try a 371 (2020 Santa Ynez Valley Viognier) yet? We’re heading towards summer up here and I’d love to bring this one out soon, but it’s only been in bottle since February…

Andrew,

I wish I had mine to try. When did you receive yours? Sadly, I think my shipping window has closed since temps are already in the 90’s here. When I bought these and the 370’s the estimated shipping was March. I was really hoping to enjoy these over the summer.

Looks like mine arrived May 17, so it probably shipped about a week before that. Summer holds won’t start up here in MA for a while yet

2 Likes

Well, I’m headed to the beach this week, so I’ll take one for the team and pop a bottle of 371 to see what we’ve got.

3 Likes

Following up on the dissenting opinions ( not unusual) for the 123 Merlot, one of my 1st DN purchaser was the #86. WallaWalla Merlot. I have loved Washington reds but never had a merlot that I liked. Cam said it was a favorite so I at the price I thought if it was that good I would take a flyer. It was so cloyingly sweet to my palate I thought there was something wrong with it. I just tried a 2nd bottle ( 6 months since the 1st opening) and still can’t believe how much some people like it and I hate it. Different strokes etc.

5 Likes

I recall one of those Room and Board events in Oak Brook Illinois.

Thoughtful post. 123 was one of my early purchases. I think I enjoyed it next to some of the other wines that were not even close to ready (50, 93, 145 come to mind)…a lot of this was prior to me starting to decant younger wines. my later impressions of 123 were less impressed. I don’t know if my impressions/preferences changed or the wine changed. So I agree that this forum can create a bit of a “impulse fandom” if a few ppl rave about a certain wine it can move the needle (who can say no to a Scott triple yum?) but in the end none of are “experts” and even expert wine tasters are prone to bias or flaws. I’ve had plenty of wine that any number of WE, WS, RP, decanter etc gave a 91 -93 to that I didn’t love…and I blow it off in the same way that if I see one of y’all post reviews on a wine that I don’t end up loving.

A few yrs ago @Mikko_Tuomi posted a great post about a tasting multiple dN with friends where they hated 239. (Think a 81 score was given) that is a wine I have enjoyed in the right atmosphere (usually with robust red sauce /bbq/grilled meats) so the question was if that thoughtful review made me enjoy it less?…no…I won’t modify my opinions of what I know me and my friends enjoyed about it but i did use that negative review to try to understand something about what I liked in wines and certain varieties. I still am trying to understand if I like Pinot. I own 24, 296 (?) and 307 which y’all have raved about. I’ve not loved 24 or 307 (not tried 296), they were just fine…but that reflects likely my personal taste, not yall bad advice.

All that to say is that I use yalls opinions as a data point, cams opinions as a data point, CT reviews as a data point, and my evolving understanding of my own preferences.

10 Likes

I still like #239, I didn’t hate it then, I’ve always been a fan. Yes it’s a flabby alcoholic monster, but I enjoy it a lot and I think the QPR is bonkers. The others in that tasting weren’t fans, one said it’s a drain pour for him and described it as toilet declogger.
To me it’s like comfort food. No, it does not present the highest levels of culinary arts, but sometimes that Kraft Mac and Cheese is exactly what you want.
My tolerance for alcohol is pretty high, I love full proof Bourbons and I drink them neat. Someone who isn’t as used to it might be completely overwhelmed by some west coast wines that clock in at 16%.

The thing in tasting wine is that it’s just wine. We are not sending a man to the moon, we are just drinking wine. Some people like it, some don’t. I think Burgundy is mostly overpriced overhyped underripe garbage, yet some seem to have borderline orgasmic experiences with some random Villages-level swill and can wax lyrical about “terroir” and other things that in the end are 100% subjective.

And that’s the thing. Trying to give objective opinions about subjective issues is a bit pointless.
That’s also why I love blind tastings. They are very humbling and it takes away the bias you might have. I don’t have enough experience to nail what the wine is (but I’m happy to try and fail!), but I love the concept of it being just you and the wine and figuring out if you like it or not.

14 Likes

25% Off Memorial Day Sale…giddyup to see what’s available. Ordered more Lot 293 Cab Franc Rose - my favorite Rose of all time.

Happy Holiday.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be tempted to open Lot 385 for 6-12 months at least.

I did on a whim before a dinner party and decided not to serve it. Didn’t take notes, but had it over the next 3 nights. A little sweet and disjointed on day 1. Better on day 2 and 3, but time will only help.

6 Likes

Tim, can you tell me more about why you like it. I am a sucker for minerally rose’. Every rose’ I’ve bought from DN has been on point so although I literally have boxes upon boxes of reds tucked away ( read stuffed)into my music room, I am on the fence on this offer ( w/o more info). I can always use another rose’ if it’s equal to 366, 320 and 317. Push me :wine_glass:

1 Like

MikeN.
As noted in the write up, “Super Pretty wine” ripe fruit and minerality. I’d comment that my wife and I both thought the wine to “elegant”. Every sip just made us think “Wow”, never thought a Cab Franc Rose would be this energetic & elegant. And it’s $10.50 /btl with discount free shipping on a case. Can say never had a $15 Rose be this good, and the $30+ Rose Cru Classe from Provence are in this league. For MY tastes Mike, this is much better than 366.

Cheers, Tim

4 Likes

Bit the bullet on 371. I think it needs a little more time in bottle to develop more aroma, though this could also be down to the plastic stems in this rental house… in any case, all signs point to a lovely wine, with floral and stone fruit notes and a nice mouthfeel. 88 points now, but easily into the low 90’s if the aroma comes out of hiding.

6 Likes

i liked it today with some Memorial Day Asian food, great value

3 Likes

Re: 371
Had with grilled black cod and sesame ginger noodles.
I didn’t have time to do a full miso marinade, but used the usual ingredients.
The Viognier would have benefited from better acidity. The hint of sweetness helped, and it was probably better that the terpenes were not full force.
Altogether an excellent value, if not up to the new world potential of the grape.

4 Likes

Thanks Tim, you had me at elegant! I really like flinty , lean rose’ but elegant has always made me think of what I love in in reds. That’s the exploration aspect of our personality I suppose that makes sharing descriptors so interesting. My curiosity is piqued.:grinning:Thanks again.

3 Likes

Like Brianschool, I’ve about given up on the referral program. I just had a long back-and-forth with customer service about a code that I’m sure I generated and my friend used, but it doesn’t show up and they claim there’s nothing they can do.

4 Likes

Anyone have any experience with 175? I’m considering picking up some on the Memorial Day special but on the fence whether to get some of it or 230. Thoughts?

1 Like

I love 175. It’s my go to Washington table wine along with 240. It’s more robust but similarly enjoyable. Best after a 2 hour decant. Reviews on CT are all favorable

7 Likes

240 is my go to as well. I have yet to take delivery of my case of 230 (LTS) but reviews indicated it may be better than 240. Hence my dilemma as to what would be best from the bottle shop. Sounds like 175 is a solid option. Thanks Luke

2 Likes