De Negoce offer (Part 2)

Agreeing with MDMiller, it is not worth the risk sending wine to the Deep South region with or without ice packs during May/June-to-September because of inconsistent deliveries by both FedEx and UPS. My last de Négoce order was to be delivered on a Thursday, but arrived ‘warm’ the following Monday, ~ and this is only mid-March! Without extended ‘summer holds’, I cannot afford to order new offers until late September. With over 100 dN orders, I only had one snafu weather related incident (yikes - L 385 St Helena Cab Sauv) while 'Long Term Storage’ was in effect (thank you Cameron Hughes).

3 Likes

The ice packs are pretty $$$ but they are huge - like the size of a piece of paper and approx 2 inches thick.

Knights Valley, 60% American oak, ready, set, go.

I couldn’t find much to match (surprised). Would have guessed Berlinger KVR, but it’s French oak only. Gehricke is Sonoma based and generically “French and American oak”

I’m usually a pass on American Oak, but anyone have any good ideas?

2 Likes

Really interesting, thanks.

2 Likes

the more people who can’t buy wine because of where they live just means more wine for those of us who live in temperate climates :clinking_glasses: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

@Luke_Newton , I filed a general report on my Taste Washington experience in its own thread, Taste Washington 2024 Report but as it related to vintage, I could not add much. It was extremely difficult to track vintage because wineries were all-over the place on what they were serving, some new '23 whites/roses, some as old as 2018/2019 reds. Some listed that in the directory, most did not, and when you are standing there trying to figure out if it’s worth even staying at a booth, vintage never entered my mind. Sorry to say I didn’t deliver on that. But I will say I tasted more mediocre wine than really good wine, and all these wineries were bringing their best, so that is a LOT of mediocre wine out there, and shiners or bulk wine is always a buyer beware, regardless of slick talking sales pitch. Trust your own palate and those of the people whose palates you trust. (caveat emptor @Cameron_Hughes :))

5 Likes

For my last ten or so shipments to Florida the Fed Ex plane has flown to Tampa where it is trucked next day to my door.

Mark,
“Napa-based” source winery likely eliminates Gehricke as that’s the Sebastiani’s SoCo based winery I’m thinking.
I’m a bit stumped on source here. But, enjoying the HELL out of my well stocked dN cellar these days. Thank You Cameron if you’re reading.
Cheers, Tim

6 Likes

I’m curious why 457 doesn’t seem to be getting the same attention as 446.

1 Like

Yes, being Sonoma based ruled them out for me. I mentioned it because it was one of the few that mention American oak when I searched.

This scenario is another reminder how little info some wineries include about their wines. The lack of detail is almost comical.

1 Like

Lot 451 looks pretty good for Chardonnay lovers….

1 Like

Seems like gone are the days where we would be given the WE and WS ratings to help decode the source. Now we get the “they said we couldn’t but knights valley on the bottle but we are freakin rebels because they didn’t say we couldn’t put it in the email”

2 Likes

Yup, I bit on the Chard…consistently solid quality on dH Chards, and priced right. In for a case…

4 Likes

I also have had good luck with the chards. My guess is Trefethen.

3 Likes

Good guess on Trefethen…

2 Likes

Lot 451: To celebrate Women’s History month…how about Anna Monticelli’s Pina Low Vineyard Oak Knoll?

Cheers, Tim

2 Likes

Been buying Chards from the very beginning of this venture…some are excellent …some are just plain good and some are average but as far as I’m concerned all are a great value…do the research your self go out and buy a 20 buck bottle of Ca Chard at the store and and you will say this sites 13 buck bottle(actually more like ten when you subtract shipping) is far superior to anything you will find…Can’t go wrong

3 Likes

That doesn’t seem to square with this unless I’m missing something:

“ it simply isn’t found on the open market, and the average wine shopper can’t get their hands on it without a wine club membership allocation at over $50/bottle”

2 Likes

I think the Trefethen guess was likely correct - their Katie’s Acre bottling is wine members only. Plus their winemaker fits the DN description perfectly (started as an intern with them, mentored by the previous winemaker before taking over the role).

7 Likes

Napa flagship alert! :rotating_light:

3 Likes