Dallas Anyone 24th - 28th June???

Juan, Nolita and I will be coming to Dallas on the 24th thru the 28th to assist our distributor with the South West Food Service Expo. We would love to get together with our friends here and meet new friends as well.

We will have a selection of our Veleta wines with us.

We are open to suggestions.

Nola

I’ll be around. Let’s see what kind of local interest there is, and we can come up with a plan.

I would kill to come and finally have the chance to meet you in person Nola but the only dates I’m available are Monday and Tuesday the 27th and 28th. Not exactly ideal days to get together for most people. I’m unfortunately out of town the 24th through 26th.

flirtysmile Oh please don’t “kill anything” unless it is something we can eat. It is summer and the only thing we have on our schedule is to meet people, introduce ourselves and our wines. We are “helping” with the Expo rather than actually doing it, so Monday and Tuesday are great for us too!

Sounds great. I’d say let the group plan whatever they wish together and the worst case scenario is I’ll check in with you as things get closer and those that can get together on Monday or Tuesday night can do so. I don’t want to impinge on the “main event”.

I will be around. Would love to meet you Nola as the wife and I are heading to Spain this thanksgiving.

I’m interested as well. Perhaps make it Urbano on that Tuesday (they aren’t open on Monday) so Joe can join?

I’ve been to Spain numerous times and it ranks as my favorite country. Trying to work out a return trip sometime as I type.

Anyway, I’m flexible but we should work on a reservation at Urbano if there will be a lot of us.

Chris

Kristi and I can do Urbano.

We are in! 3 of us plus my distributor Chrissy and her Dallas rep Jonathan might like to join us if there is availability.

Urbano is about a mile away from me so hoping I can join but it depends on some pesonal things. Urbano is a pretty small place - like only holds about 30 people total - so good idea if you/we book early. Frankly, it looks like we could be 10+ and not sure Urbano can handle that.

Im in +1 and that will be very hard to pull off at Urbano. I have a few freinds up there and will try and see what the “max” would be.

UPDATE - Urbano said they have a wine dinner already that night in the new room but they are considering opening up the regular dining room that night also. They will get back to us this week.

Another idea could be to talk with Paul Di Carlo at Jimmy’s, the everything Italian food store right next door to Urbano and see if Urbano could cater the meal. If Urbano’s kitchen can handle the work load, and it’s not just an issue of seating, I think that would be a very feasible plan. Provided of course Paul is cool with us using his back room.

If people are open to other places, I can talk with some more places: Bolsa, The Commissary, Hector’s on Henderson, and several other places to see if they could take us. Yes, I know, Urbano is BYOB, but knowing the right people at the right places, I don’t doubt I could make this happen.

Let’s be in touch. Cheers!

Just to restate, you guys do whatever you need to do to make this happen. If you need to back it up to another night that works for you guys, Nola and Urbano (assuming that is the venue of choice) then so be it. I can always approach Nola about dinner or Monday on Tuesday in a smaller kind of an affair assuming it works for her and the family. Please don’t kill yourselves trying to accommodate me.

I won’t go into Hector’s based on general principle.

Haven’t been to Hector’s in forever. I’d love to hear why Tex next time we’re offline.

Wife and I treated like shit by the wait staff and the walking boss pretty much treated us like second rate citizens when I complained. Restaurant is definitely above my pay grade and culinary palate.

Ouch. That blows. Duly noted.

Several logistical points about Urbano:

1. I doubt they would cater the meal at Jimmy’s just because it would be quite a walk around for the staff, etc during the meal.
  2. However, Urbano does have a relatively new, sort of private dining room just 2 doors down. If we chose that, we could customize the menu and make it a set price per person. Overall, it usually comes out to a bit more per person, but it’s still not that much. They have a full kitchen in there. I don’t know how few people Mitch would be willing to accommodate over there (minimum), but the max would be close to 30. This would require a bit more logistical planning. I imagine Mitch would also let us just order off the regular menu over there, but I’m not sure.
  3. We are talking about a Tuesday night, so chances are better that Mitch would be fine with us having a big table and taking up the night on the regular side of the restaurant. My guess is, he would still want us in something like 2 tables of 6 or so.

Having mentioned all that, I’m good with whatever the choice may be. I’m not set on Urbano, it was just an easy, good choice.

Another very likely possibility is Screen Door with David McMillan as the new chef. He has cooked for our wine group many times and is hosting an event for us tonight (although I couldn’t make it). His menu for us tonight looked pretty stellar and it was about $80/pp out the door. I could reach out to him if there is interest.

Edit: I skipped right over Darin’s post about already checking the logistics for Urbano. Looks like the investigation is already under way. If any help is needed, I’m pretty close to Mitch and can call, but it sounds like you are too.

Chris

Need to get moving quickly in either case.

Assuming we do it on the 28th, here’s what I count on this thread:

Nola +4-5
Chris +1
Joe? +?
Bill +1
Brad
Darin +1
JP +?

So, somewhere between 12-16 right now. Please correct me if I counted any of you incorrectly or left off someone.

Chris