**CLOSED** MAITRE DE CHAI - Crafting Soulful California Wines – Thank You BD14!

MAITRE DE CHAI BD14 MAYHEM!!!

Our 10th Vintage Crafting Soulful California Wines
Newbie to BD!

Maître de Chai – translated to “Keeper of the Cellar” – started in 2012 by friends Marty Winters and Alex Pitts with a single barrel of wine from Steve Matthiasson’s Michael Mara Vineyard. Today, we produce several single vineyard sparkling and still wines from old vine (often 50-100 year old vines), mostly dry farmed, organic vineyards.

We both began our careers in the restaurant industry, working in Michelin-starred kitchens before we transitioned into winemaking. Our ethos is centered around showcasing beautiful vineyards that are farmed impeccably by small, often multi-generational families. We work with heritage California grape varieties, and in the cellar we take a low intervention approach to craft wine emblematic of California with native yeast fermentations and no additions outside of sulfur.

"Their Maitre de Chai winery brings a fresh take to California’s old vines” … “Their takes on those classics feel fresh and novel, from an insistently floral Zinfandel from Lodi’s Stampede Vineyard to their hauntingly mineral Sparkling Chardonnay Solera from Sonoma’s Michael Mara Vineyard.”

“The Maître de Chai, though, seemed to be a wine of a particular place, earthier and more mineral, with focused fruit and floral flavors and a pleasant touch of tannin”… “The third bottle, from Maître de Chai — French for cellar master — stood out. It was a single-vineyard wine, unlike the others, from grapes grown on decomposed granite soils in Clement Hills, a small viticultural area in the southeast part of Lodi.”

THE DETAILS & DISCOUNT CODE:

As you read through the offers below and think, “I only want a bottle of Sparkling Chenin Blanc,” or “I ABSOLUTELY HATE Chardonnay” … TODAY AND TODAY ONLY with discount code BD14 you will receive 20% off all wines on our site. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE OFFERS BELOW – they are already discounted exceptionally.

MORE INFO ON THE WINES: After you make it through the orders we have a bit of info on each of the wines in the offer below. But you can always find more information on our website.

THE OFFERS

OFFER 1: 6-BOTTLE – MDC Starter Pack

1x V.21 Sparkling Chenin Blanc, Clarksburg
1x 2021 ‘Kierkegaard’ Chenin Blanc, Clarksburg
1x 2021 Ellison Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma Mountain
1x 2021 Wheeler Chardonnay, San Benito
1x 2021 Stampede Zinfandel, Clements HIlls
1x 2020 Gala Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

REGULAR PRICE: $210
BD14 PRICE: $XXX

OFFER 2: 12-BOTTLE – MDC Starter Pack

2x V.21 Sparkling Chenin Blanc, Clarksburg
2x 2021 ‘Kierkegaard’ Chenin Blanc, Clarksburg
2x 2021 Ellison Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma Mountain
2x 2021 Wheeler Chardonnay, San Benito
2x 2021 Stampede Zinfandel, Clements HIlls
2x 2020 Gala Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

REGULAR PRICE: $420
BD14 PRICE: $XXX!!!

OFFER 3: FULL CASE DISCOUNTS!!!

12x 2021 Wheeler Vineyard Chardonnay, San Benito
REGULAR PRICE: $360

12x V. 21 Sparkling Chenin Blanc, Wilson Vineyard, Clarksburg
REGULAR PRICE: $408

12x 2020 Gala Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
REGULAR PRICE: $576
BD14 PRICE: $XXX!!!

RAFFLE/GIVEAWAY:
Hop on Instagram and give us a follow @mdcwine. Comment on our BD14 post to be entered to win a 12-bottle MDC Starter Kit. Tag a friend for additional entries to win. Must be 21+ to participate. Entry qualification will end on Sunday, 1/29 at 10am PST.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THE WINES:

Sparkling Chenin Blanc, Wilson Vineyard, Clarksburg 11.5% ABV: The vines were planted in 1998 and the hallmark of the site is electric acidity. A Traditional Method Sparkling wine, made in the style of Champagne, but distinctly Californian. Our intent is to produce an approachable American sparkling wine that showcases the versatility of Chenin Blanc in California.

2021 ‘Kierkegaard’ Chenin Blanc, Clarksburg 11.5% ABV: This wine is a deliberate selection of our most favorite barrels of Chenin Blanc from the Wilson Vineyard, farmed by the fourth generation of the Wilson family. This vineyard has shown us the beauty of high-acid white wines from the Delta. Fermented with its native yeasts in neutral oak and aged in those same barrels for eleven months, bottled without any fining or filtration. Eleven barrels produced.

2021 Ellison Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma Mountain 14% ABV: Our most special vineyard, the Ellison Vineyard (formerly the Herron Vineyard), was planted in 1969 and is comprised of an acre and a half of Sauvignon Blanc on Sonoma Mountain. This dry-farmed vineyard is one of the oldest Sauvignon Blanc parcels in the United States. In 2021, it made for a powerful, dense and complex wine. As always, the wine was fermented with its native yeasts in the same neutral oak barrels we use each year specifically for this wine and aged for eleven months without racking. Eight barrels produced.

2021 Wheeler Chardonnay, San Benito County 13.5% ABV: Our Wheeler Vineyard Chardonnay was planted in 1974 on AXR1 rootstock. Planted on a gravelly alluvial terrace located a stone’s throw from the town of Tres Pinos in the San Benito AVA. 2021 was our first vintage working with this historic site and we couldn’t be happier with the wine. Whole cluster pressed and fermented in neutral oak barrels, producing a powerful, textured Chardonnay with all of the acidity you’d expect from a cool climate, old vine vineyard such as Wheeler.

2021 Stampede Zinfandel, Clements Hills 12.6% ABV: Zinfandel can be notoriously difficult to work with due to its inherent uneven ripening. While each vintage of this wine we love, the 2021 is the wine we strive to make. At 12.6% alcohol this wine is vibrant and energetic with all of the fruit and finesse you would expect from old vine Zinfandel. The wine was fermented with its native yeasts with a mix of destemmed and whole cluster open top fermentations. The wine aged in neutral cask for eleven months. Four puncheons were produced.

2020 Gala Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 14.2%: 30 year old, terraced vines. Amazing mountaintop fruit from Mount George on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. South of Atlas Peak, and just above Coombsville at the beginning of the Vaca Mountain Range. The vineyard is currently farmed organic and is in transition into Biodynamic farming. The wine fermented in small open top fermenters with minimal pump overs. A dense & powerful wine smelling of roasted beet & licorice, with an herbal nose of mountain thyme & stewed plum. This is a wine that will age for decades to come. Eighteen months in neutral oak, never fined or filtered. 24 barrels produced.

LINK TO ALL OFFERS HERE.

SHIPPING DETAILS:
All orders will ship ASAP exclusively though FedEx – We are a small but mighty team and handle all of our shipping direct from the winery. We hope to fulfill all orders within a week, so take that into account when placing your order.

PLACES WE DON’T SHIP: AL, AK, HI, KY, TN, ND, SD, UT, WY. All other states are good to go!

After an order is placed we cannot make any changes to that order. If you have questions about your order, please email info@mdc.wine and we’d be happy to help.

WHAT’S THE SHIPPING COST?: Flat Rate $20 – The more you purchase, the better this deal gets!

SALES TAXES:
Sales tax will automatically be added to your order at checkout.

Thank you for this opportunity to share our wines and for the opportunity to participate! Without you and Wine Berserkers, this would not be possible. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out: info@mdc.wine

Marty & Alex

2 Likes

Buy with confidence my fellow WB:ers! These are outstanding wines and the Stampede Zin is one of my all time favorite Zins in CA - world class stuff (check my 2018 CT score on it). Do not miss!

2 Likes

These are great people and great wines.

1 Like

As a monopol cru taster, samples were sent out and we got through several of the bottles, including the Zinfandel, Chardonnay,Cabernet, and the sparkling chenin Blanc. Photo is the sparkling wine. Notes below

**Sparkling chenin Blanc **
Beautiful light gold in the glass with a fine bubble. Immediate nose of Granny Smith apple, slight apricot sweetness and marzipan. The apple and apricot carry though on the palate with a lighter body. This is well made and satisfying

**Chardonnay **
A slight cloudiness in the glass and lighter yellow color. Nose is a bit muted, but more likely from being colder than needed. Tasting the wine, this comes through almost Chablis like, with minerality, lemon, slightly glycerin and apricot.

**Cabernet **
We decant this to give it some air before serving. Deep color in the glass. Tasting this the fruits were a bit subsided with a nice tannin level, needs a bit more time in the bottle.

**Zinfandel **
Saved my notes, but could not find them today. Recall a nice pepper and a bit of jam on the palate.

1 Like

Thanks ADAM! YOU’RE A LEGEND!!! :mage:

3 Likes

As a monopole Cru member I had the chance to taste these wines for free. Thanks Marty! Marty was a joy to talk and chat with. These wines are low intervention with great small organically farmed vineyards. Please see my notes below:

Sparkling chenin Blanc:
Wow I was pleasantly surprised by this wine. The fruit is soft and elegant. You get brioche feeling on the palette but it’s nice and caressing. Low dosage at 3g/L. One of the best sparkling’s I’ve ever had from the United States. On par with ultramarine. Buy with confidence.

Chardonnay:
A bit cloudy to start. This needs a lot of air. The acid is fantastic. But you need air to truly unlock the fruit that’s lurking. The finish on this chardonnay is nice and clean. A very refreshing wine. You get lemon zest fruit on the palette, but everything is in perfect balance.

Sauvignon Blanc:
This is one of my favorite wines. The acid on this wine is outstanding. The wine begs you to come back and take another sip. I couldn’t stop drinking this wine! You get a little of the pyrazine you get on sauvignon blanc. You get a bit of lemon, but it’s so refreshing, not bitterness at all. This wine reminds me of eisele sauv blanc. I’m buying multiples of these!

Zinfandel:
I couldn’t believe the alcohol on this wine. 12.5%!!! This is not a normal zin. Sharing with fellow berserkers, we coined this wine a “Pinot Lover’s” zin. This wine had great structure. Light raspberry and strawberry characteristics and a nice long finish. Again, the acid on these wines are fabulous. The acid begs you to come back for more over and over again. This is one of the best zins I’ve ever had. I will be buying multiples of this bottling as well!

Cabernet Sauvignon:
This wine is fabulous, but needs a lot of cellar time or air! I would recommend at least 5 years of cellar age or a 4 hour decant. I let the wine decant an hour or so but had to let it decant longer as it was quite brooding. On first whiff, you get lots of earthy notes. I almost thought it must have been a cab franc! Thyme and sage are the first thoughts that came to my mind. While smelling the wine, I was reminded of being up on Sage mountain on Continuum’s property. The sage I got from the wine was profuse, but lovely. What a wine. You could taste thyme and licorice/plum notes on the palette. With more age, this wine will be killer. Time is your friend with this one.

In closing, if you have any reservations, don’t. These wines are all well made and all worth the price. Under 50 for a mountain cab that can age decades. Yes please. A zin that isn’t bombastic. Yes please. The QPR on these wines is insane and well worth it. Take the plunge, you will be happy you did!

4 Likes

Excited to try!!!

Thanks for the love and the order Robert! :zap:

Thanks so much for the order Lon!!

The Cab sounds outstanding. I know Marty and Alex are very excited about this wine! I have a few on the way. A cellar worthy Napa Cap for $29. You have to be F#$king kidding me!!!

1 Like

Super kind words Zach – So happy you enjoyed the wine. We put a lot of work into each of these wines, so happy that comes through!!

1 Like

Marty - Are you sure the price is correct for the cab???

Yes – The price is right on the Cab in the Case QTY - @Adam_Frisch and others said we should go big for this community so here we are! Likely not going to have a deal like this for a while and our pricing is likely to start creeping up with years to come and our farming costs go up as we convert from organics to Biodynamics – So strike while the iron is hot! :fire:

WOW! That is an insane deal. A cellar worthy Napa cab for $29. I need to order some more.

Just a reminder…here are the California wineries I have recommended first on wineberserkers…not a cherry picked list…these are all of them:

MacDonald

Sandlands

Ferdinand

Beta / Jasud

And in 2015 Maitre de Chai BOOM!

In for a 12 pack of the MDC starter! Really great prices and great wines!!!

1 Like

Here is Adam’s note on the Zin.

When I had it last I said if Yvon Metras made Zin it would taste like this.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried the wines, but great people!

1 Like

I am in for sampler case!

I just want to add that the Monopole notes were exceedingly useful. They made me much more likely to jump and raised my level of excitement, thank you to the tasters, too!

YAY!

2 Likes

Glad to hear that!

3 Likes