Chassagne Montrachet Rouge

Another vote for the Pillot wines, the village CM Rouge is beautiful, delicious, and very affordable for the quality.

Those 100+ year old vines they own in CSJ make GC quality wine!

Couldn’t agree more with this entire thread. I just don’t want the word getting around so SHHHHH!

And speaking of 1979 Ramonet, this was amazing…
Ramonet CSJ 1979.JPG

I can find the 2014 and 2015 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Macherelles Rouge for $51. Is that a good wine to try? Is the pricing reasonable?

Or if anyone else has a suggestion at the lower end of the pricing range. Thanks.

Chris, that seems like a fair price. 2014 will be more “classic” and likely require some time. 2015 should be drinking well now (but may also age).

The 2016 Girardin Clos Saint-Jean Chassagne Rouge is arriving here and it caught my eye - anyone have any experience with Girardin’s Chassagne reds?

1 Like

General consensus on Girardin’s reds (and whites?) is they are meh. That said, I’ve never had their Chassagne reds. I did have a couple nice bottles of their 2009 Corton a year or two back that I found on clearance for $45 and was happy with the purchase. Tried one and it was delicious. Drank the other shortly thereafter.

2014 reds also seem to be shutting down. But I agree that’s a fair price.

Vins rare offered a new chassagne red producer, fagot; has anyone had this?

Jean-Charles runs a restaurant in Corpeau (opposite Puligny-Montrachet), plays the drums, and makes a bit of wine under his own label. This particular cuvée is quite a rich, old-school, rather chewy red produced from very old vines.

1 Like

Thanks, William, as always. I took a flyer on a case this morning, figuring how bad can it be. Old school sounds great, but I’m not sure chewy is very exciting. We’ll see!

just cracked a 2015 Blain-Gagnard CM rouge village with lunch, its a little bit new world but with lovely satin fruit and great grip.
I would be happy to drink this everyday, it has plenty of room to develop but is batting above its grade already.
( and it was super value when it landed 27 NZD a bottle)

2 Likes

This thread should be locked.

I now also have some 2017 Domaine Heitz-Lochardet Chassagne-Montrachet Morgeot. Looking forward to trying it.

Agreed! These are arguably last good values in red burgundy and I really don’t want to start paying $100/btl for them.

Wow. Shouldn’t expect less, but you’re right on the money. Extremely bold, chewy and extracted. Could come out of Paso Robles or something other than the finish, which does show the expected terroir. All told, pretty much the opposite of my preferred Burgs.

Well, you win some fliers and you lose some! The rest of the case will make great gifts! champagne.gif

I had two Ramonet reds on Thursday night. The first was a very beautiful 2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge. This village wine was just beautiful to drink. Very elegant and pure. Probably will age but nothing wrong with drinking it now.

The second wine was a 2012 Noël Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet La Boudriotte Rouge. This was a more serious wine, but with the same range of beautiful red fruit and spicy flavors. Really not yet mature, the wine had a long finish and well was just wonderful. As I understand it, this wine was actually made by Jean-Claude Ramonet, the brother of Noël Ramonet. Many years of life left for this wine.

1 Like

I love the Ramonet rouges from 2017.

A quick wine searcher check suggests these already do cost pretty much $100.

1 Like

They are typically available for less than that on pre-order.

Any thoughts on Jean-Marc Pillot’s reds from this region?