Chassagne Montrachet Rouge

The Henri Germain monopole is the (other) Clos des Mouches, which is red Meursault, not Chassagne-Montrachet!

1 Like

All of the CM reds I own come from Ramonet and Bernard Moreau.

Dan - There are a few more lurking in the cellar for when you are next in this neck of the woods !
A514DFCB-4606-4A6F-8596-257162D4BE5B.jpeg

[oops.gif]

what is the relation with chateau de chorey by the way? same germain?

No one has mentioned either branch of the Pillot (Jean Marc and Paul/Thierry) family with old vines in many plots. I like the wines.

1 Like

I assumed it was a trick question [rofl.gif]

In fact, I don’t think there is any relation, certainly not a close one, though I may be misremembering.

Jean-François Germain makes the Henri Germain wines, and his brother Eric has been brining a lot of Germain magic to the Vincent Girardin wines. It’s just hard to get people to put their preconceptions about that label aside and taste the wines for what they are. Eric is very well respected along the Côte for a reason!

champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif flirtysmile

They are magnificent!

1 Like

[wow.gif]

If only that was going to be some time soon!

Henri Germain is brother of Francois Germain (Ch de Chorey)

+1 on Niellon reds

Also Lamy Pillot

PS looks like it might be a team trip with Don and Howard whenever we can next do it!

1 Like

It has been a long time, but when I did dabble on a set of CM Rouge, I had the Maltroye in the mix and liked the wines, but they showed their wood in youth. Beware. The Drouhin is on my shelf now and I’ve been enjoying it, but not at the same level as Ramonet; I do think it was priced lower than Ramonet and is village-level, to be fair.

Cheers,
fred

I had no idea these Chassagne reds were that expensive until I looked a few of the wines in this thread up. I somehow had it in my head that these were lower priced wines. I mean, they certainly might be priced lower than many other reds from Burgundy.

To be clear, that wasn’t meant as a criticism of anyone or anything, or intending to be a wet blanket, just that it was eye-opening to me to see the pricing. Have CM reds gone up a lot in recent years, or had they been near these levels for longer and I just never noticed?

Don
Great note I recall really liking the 2014 version and the brightness of the fruit as well Very precise

Thanks Alan. Hope we can get together when Miles is a little older.

Another Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge lover over here…In my restaurant and personal cellar both various wines from B. Moreau and J-C Ramonet.

Recent vintages of Caroline Morey have been enjoyable.

Anyone have experience with Domaine Roger Belland Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Pitois Rouge?

These are small production wines whose prices seem to vary widely depending on where you can find them.