CellarTracker Suggestion Thread

I would speculate that the increase in varieties is primarily a reflection of the expanded use of Cellartracker versus a significant shift in the general wine community

I would speculate that the increase in varieties is primarily a reflection of the
expanded use of Cellartracker versus a significant shift in the general wine
community

I can’t really think of a way to test that rigorously, but my opinion is no.

Personally, I have tasted ~550 unique monovarietal wines and added about 100 varieties since '10. We get nearly weekly asks to add grapes. My experience is that new varieties are being created, discovered, isolated and/or produced as single variety wines at a pace that has been increasing since 2010. “Wine Grapes” was published in 2012 and Jose says it was outdated even before then. There has been that I’ve learned more and dialed into more detail during this time frame.

There has also been a countercurrent where we have pared down the top level varieties as genetic information has shown what was thought to be different is not.

3 Likes

Cellartracker has 1,250 master varieties and 1,700 varieties. So only 500 are genetically identical but different names like Pinot Noir and Pinot Nero for example

Europe is rumored to contain 5,000 grape varieties. Even if that’s overly ambitious by a factor of two there’s still a ton. Certainly quite a few of those would not qualify as master variety because they’re just called different things in different locations.

But my point is you’re not done entering new varietals! LOL

Damn, I’ve written tasting notes on 120 master varieties

For those that want to see their numbers click here

https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=PivotNote&Pivot1=MasterVarietal&Pivot2=

3 Likes

Notes on 454 different master varieties in CT. However, the number is a bit inaccurate, since it includes “varieties” like apple, grain, red Bordeaux blend, rice and so forth.

But according to my personal records, I’ve tasted 566 different varieties, of which 470 (~76%) have been varietal wines, so we’re more or less in the same ballpark.

Andrew, which master variety has the most varieties and how many? Muscat?

which master variety has the most varieties and how many? Muscat?

That is a harder question to answer that it might appear. I will give a fuller answer later. (In the middle of prepping for a party tomorrow.)

The issue is that Muscat and Malvasia are both master varieties that include grapes that aren’t actually synonyms and sometimes not even related, but get called Muscat or Malvasia. (More Muscat than Malvasia.) And a lot of labels will just say the generic form without specifying.

I do love this geeky aspect of what I do! Been playing around with all kind of stats for fun, so I will leave you with this question - between 2010 and 2022, what grapes (or specific blends) do you think have seen the most dramatic drops in popularity and which do you think have emerged?

1 Like

You should publish all the geeky stuff. Create a topic for it.

Increase: Prosecco

Decrease: Sangiovese

1 Like

This would be a lovely feature to help a bit when sorting boxes!

Have now done the same for Romain Henin Le Gamin du Terroir

2 Likes

Excellent idea. Will do after the holidays.

Xinomavro was the biggest upward mover.

Torrontés was the biggest underperformer.

Sangiovese went up. (Was #9 in 2010, #7 in 2022.)

Glera went from 36->33.

Of grapes in the Top 30 , The true biggest loser was Port blend : 25 → 34.

(These are based on grapes with significant volume. ie a grape that had 1 bottle in 2010 and 10 in 2022 isn’t counted even if that is a 1000% change.)

4 Likes

Newbie here (on this topic) so please bear with me

• is there any sort of JIRA where we can see consolidated list of issues and status?

• descending from the clouds to ground level, a couple of suggestions:
    in the ‘sources’ for drinking window, add “Winery”
    and, Im not sure about your policy on user entry or update of “hard” data - allow it to be user editable
    or, in the alternative allow 2 versions of ‘user opinion’ - ‘personal opinion’ and ‘winery / personal opinion’ or something.

• add ‘recent purchases’ and ‘recently edited’ to the filters for My Cellar on the mobile version

I emailed WS about this, but it is a CT/WS integration issue so both would need to coordinate I suppose.

When I click on the where to buy WS link on a wine in CT, the WS screen that pops up does not retain my retained filters. I am not interested in auctions or in bond wines, so I un-select them. Works fine (they stick) when I open a WS tab directly, but not when I go to WS through CT

2 Likes

I really wish we could add our Drinking Window values on the “Add Wine to My Cellar” page. It just makes so much sense to me.
I know currently it’s just a few extra clicks to enter your personal window, but in the name of streamlining and efficiency, please put it on the page where we are entering our purchases anyway.

3 Likes

I honestly haven’t played around with this much, but is there a way to have food pairing tags added automatically?

From my limited experience, I’ve only been able to add them individually for each wine. And it’s my own tags and not “crowd-sourced”.

1 Like

Sorry, no. The tagging features are really under-optimized and we are looking at ways to make them more useful. I agree - some kind of harvesting from notes would be great.

The tags should be global though. Can you give me some examples and wines where you are only getting your own?

2 Likes

Can confirm - I’ve had Andrew personally respond to me with various wine error requests explaining the situation and why or why they won’t/can’t fix it (don’t recall specifics, but I think people had entered the same wine in two different ways, but cellars were split about 50/50 as to which people proceeded to use, and there was enough difference that they didn’t want to merge).

Don’t complain about errors - submit a report. And at least you’ll understand why it is how it is.

1 Like

Yes - this is the problem with “vintages” for NV champagne. Are they disgorgement? Purchase date? “Dominant” vintage for MV wines? Something else? No way to ensure each user is “misusing” the vintage in the same way, making it even more meaningless.

I would like to see an additional field for NV wines that is either user defined (use it how you will) or specifically tied to a fact like disgorgement date (which is available only for some NV wines).

Biggest issue for me is the “drink by” dates are wildly irrelevant for NV champagne (yes, I know I can set my own, but also not bottle by bottle)

An imperfect solution, but I put this info in the bottle notes.

2 Likes

I started to record a Spanish sparkling wine, and it’s already in CT, twice. Both listings have errors. My instinct is to create a 3rd “correct” wine and ask CT to merge the other two. Would you rather I submit an error report?

There are maybe 23 bottles between the two listings, so this is VERY IMPORTANT. :slight_smile: