CellarTracker Suggestion Thread

People toggle settings all the time. On the page for every wine, NOTE DISPLAY SETTINGS. Click it.

1 Like

Again, haven’t changed my settings in years but thanks for taking care of this for me

I used this feature last night. Was really cool!

I bought some wine from wine.com that was shipped to two different addresses so I had two different e-mails that I forwarded. They happened to be the same wine and it combined them into one purchase. I would have preferred it keep them as separate purchase.

I am also in the add tax and shipping camp when it comes to entering my cost basis in CT. Since they had two different addresses my cost was different for each bottle. I had to delete one of the bottles and then create a new purchase to get my cost basis correct.

Not saying this to complain, just passing along a user experience.

Don’t know where this stands now but back when it was discussed in the broader scope of expanding the user base to more international participation. CT was very skewed towards the US.

What spurred the conversation for me, inverse thinking, was “why aren’t there more tasting notes written in French?” They drink a lot of wine. LOL Maybe CT needed to “look” French for them to engage. That means all the English TNs need to be translated for them. And ultimately theirs to English.

Ideally, all the text in CT User Interface should be language dependent. But that’s another story.

I think it was a cost issue IIRC. Language translation is very simple to integrate but not free for commercial sites.

And then we’d have tons of tasting notes on wines “offering a small richness, gourmandize and cherry tails with suavity and slightly tight, discreetly firm tannins”.

2 Likes

I switched writing my TNs from French to English pretty much around the same time I started contributing on WB. Much easier as I can cut&paste from one to the other (or use the Publish to other sites feature in CT).

So I’m a “-1” on the CT notes in French metric.

2 Likes

I report or update the inaccuracies and they get fixed right away. I think it is a fairly effective system. In the end, like WB, it is an unpaid service. Cleaning up duplicates is another matter as that is not always apparent

1 Like

One thing I would love to be able to do on CellerTracker is SQL-type searches. It would specifically be useful to have WHERE clauses on the number of CT reviews and the number of professional reviews (or which professional reviewer has a review). That would helpful for finding new wines to try.

Agreed! Awesome feature. Been using it with all my Christmas purchases. Easily editing the store would be a nice addition to match my old purchases. But the time saver of not adding all the wines individually has been worth any minor hassle.

2 Likes

Yep. I often read tasting notes on CT saying that a wine is dead when I have recently had the wine and felt it was very closed and needed a lot more time.

Frankly, we all did things like this when we were inexperienced and did not know better, but now with CT the views of novices are elevated to seemingly have some significance.

1 Like

I took @Eric_LeVine’s helpful admonition to heart and just reported that Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru has five different vintages listed for a NV wine. I’m on a mission from God (borrowed from Blues Brothers, the movie, in case someone takes me seriously).

5 Likes

Many thanks! It is in Andrew’s court.

(editors@cellartracker.com is best versus support@cellartracker.com – or just click the link on the page). Either way, it all works, and we will get it to the right person on our end.

2 Likes

Love, love, LOVE the submit-via email feature! Thank you for this!!! Even if it’s not perfect (which I don’t think something like this realistically ever could be), it’s a huge workflow improvement for me.

2 Likes

This is really common with NV Champagne. I assume that in some cases the posters have interpreted codes to identify the base wine but that likely in the majority of cases they are guessing.

4 Likes

One (mildly) frustrating thing is that you cannot select multiple attributes of a category when sorting through wine in my cellar. For example, I cannot look at wines located in Cellar1 and Cellar2 at the same time or show all sparkling wine (not just white XOR rose).

The workaround I use for the latter case is the “keyword” field, which is very helpful. I can just type in “sparkling” (to see all sparkling wines from all regions) or “burgundy pinot” (so I won’t see all the Gamay I own when I look for a red Burg). BUT, even that field is not visible by default and needs to be “activated” by clicking through Narrow → More. It would be great if that was a standard field…

4 Likes

How do you audit wine definitions? I’m in a smaller/newer wine area and see a lot of wines that are off in the appellation or vineyard designation. Sadly many wineries here are not mature enough to publish tech sheets with definitive information.

1 Like

I would love a feature where I could define the sizes of my bins and have CT recommend where to put the bottle when I accept delivery.

1 Like

Labels (we ask users for back labels as any TTB registered info will be canonical), sheets, knowledge. All depends. The first goal is to consolidate duplicate entries. And sometimes, there is just nothing I can do.

Let me know specific examples - editors@cellartracker.com - and we will see what we can do.

1 Like

Random factoid to illustrate how the wine universe keeps expanding and my team has to keep up.

Different varieties* purchased

2010 602
2022 1037

• Unique varieties eg Syrah/Shiraz will be the same thing.
2 Likes

this is a very cool stat.