CellarTracker Suggestion Thread

Would love to see a random selection feature that randomly selects a wine from your cellar and puts you on its details page. Perfect for those days where you truly want to open something random.

2 Likes

What you want doesnā€™t current exist in CT, afaik. However, a workaround of sorts could be to create a ā€œstoreā€ called ā€œFutures.ā€ This would allow you the ability to segregate these bottles from all others, either by sorting by ā€œStoreā€ or by Doing My Cellar ā†’ Pending ā†’ Store. I know both of these are different reports than what youā€™re asking for, but itā€™s something.

1 Like

I think it may be easier to just put the expected delivery date in, even if approximate. You can either lump them together with a dummy date, or put your approximate delivery date in. The ā€œPendingā€ wines can be sorted by delivery date, year, quarter, month, etc.

*Edit - Sorry I didnā€™t read the above. It looks like there was already discussion about this.

I donā€™t really use the report function very much, but could you put ā€œFuturesā€ as a private comment and run a pending report looking for that comment? @Andrew_Hall ?

I agree, but was just proposing a different workaround, as JDavis didnā€™t seem attracted to the other idea. Neither the Expected Delivery date idea or the Stores idea is exactly what heā€™s looking for, but both will work, and thereā€™s different usability features of each.

1 Like

Interesting. I love the Reports function and use it frequently. Iā€™m curious to see what Andrew says in response to your post, as itā€™s never occurred to me that it might be possible to run a report using the Private Note field in some fashion.

Of course you could download it all to excel and then pull out the futures data from thereā€¦thatā€™s a lotta work for not just using the date received field to see whatā€™s coming!

1 Like

Yes. You can put ā€œFuturesā€ in the purchase note and then do a report on Purchases limited to those with that as a Purchase note.

I am confused here - why not use the Pending function? Anything Pending is a futures if the date is farther off.

3 Likes

Perhaps Iā€™m also missing the use case. I think all of the ā€œfuturesā€ Iā€™ve ever purchased have been Bordeaux wines, unless you are including ā€œpre-arrivalsā€ in that mix. Itā€™s pretty easy to search for ā€œBordeaux 2022.ā€ If I want to separate the nearer term pending items from the ā€œfutures,ā€ I use the delivery date. If my futures are supposed to arrive in the near term, I canā€™t think of a reason why Iā€™d want to separate these from the other ā€œpendingā€ wines I have.

Most other issues I have require me to search by retailer to see which pending wines I need to ask them about.

Not a problem nor complaint. Just a curiosity and interest in satisfying my less than ideal desire to check things off a list aka getting my PD list to zero bottles.

Meaning, if I know a group of bottles wonā€™t be delivered for a couple of growing seasons/years is there a way (either new or within current framework) to track those types of orders (ie futures).

Other than my compulsiveness, it was prompted because I was looking thru some CT data/app recently (I apologize for not recalling which) that showed current inventory + pending inventory of a given bottling. I know futures would always have the current inventory be zero, but just made wonder.

As of now, Iā€™ve chosen to not enter the futures into CT and have the email order confirmations tagged and saved in a folder in my email client with a reminder set around the expected bottling/shipping date.

No big deal and happy to let the conversation move to next suggestion.

That sounds like way more work than just letting them comingle, but to each their own! I use my CT to see what Iā€™ve already purchased, since some futures deals still pop up prior to delivery. It helps me see verticles I have going, and it helps me track my budget. Leaving something out would hurt the accounting side of my brain the way leaving it in does yours :rofl:. I would 100% do something like change email clients or accidentally miss a reminder and forget about them :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Very cool! I did not know this.

To expand on this: Can one do a report on Purchases limited to those with ā€œ{whatever you want}ā€ included within the Purchase note, but not necessarily comprising the entire Purchase note? (hope that makes sense)

Here is my personal futures report:

4 Likes

I love putting invoice numbers in the purchase note! If I had done that in my purchasing days it would have saved me a bit of researchā€¦

2 Likes

Nope, right now we only have exact-match search on the purchase note and no wildcard search.

1 Like

Unlike at TWA (who I am STILL talking to BTW), Lisa/TWI seemed very, VERY eager to collaborate. Things seem to have ground to a halt with their developer. Anyway, in a world of finite resources and small teams I get it. Hopefully will get it done at some point.

I look forward to the new management at TWA getting onboard. :crossed_fingers:t2:

I miss Jason. Please give him my best.

Done. Itā€™s great having him back here in Seattle.

This may have already been discussed, but is there any sort of way to run a report that shows value changes of wine in your cellar over time (Iā€™m just looking at mobile this morning)? Iā€™m guessing this would either need to be tied to W-S or based on the initial purchase price you log. Obviously, I can run reports and keep a historic record of my own, but it would be cool to see net decrease and increase in value if it falls or rises sharply.

I donā€™t expect it would make sense for CT to spend the time and resources to run jobs regularly that memorialize all average wine prices over time, but that would make alerting pretty straightforward (ā€œalert if price increases +25% in 1 quarterā€).